GX470 info and opinions

damundsen87

I'm looking at potentially getting a 2005 gx470 with 122k miles. What issues can I expect to run into with these vehicles, are they fairly reliable as a daily driver? Is it advisable to convert the rear air suspension to coils? Any wisdom would be appreciated, never owned a lexus/Toyota before.

matches130

Organizer
I love mine and you can expect little to no issues with it. It has a timing belt so that should be replaced at 100k miles. I converted my rear to coils when I lifted it. It's been a great off road vehicle and I'd buy another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chunko

Observer
The air suspension will be ok for fire roads and light wheeling but will need to be swapped out for coils if looking to do tougher off-roading as they have been known to pop out during articulation. I have been running mine for about a year with a lift up front and the air suspension adjusted to match the lift and haven't had any issues although I mostly do forest service roads. I do have the rear springs and shocks ready to swap out but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Beside the timing belt and air suspension, watch for radiator leaks (mine started to leak at around 70k mi). And definitely check out GXOR as well as the IH8MUD forum.

DMax82

Almost two years ago I bought a 2005 GX with 140k miles. Now I am at 184k. Since purchasing I have put on new tires, got new brake pads, and changed the oil every 5k miles. That's it. I do some light off roading and tow a trailer with it. You won't find a more reliable vehicle.

Reactions: bkg

montanayota

One popped up locally in my craigslist search for 4runners, already has TRD Pro wheels and BF Goodrich KO2 tires on it, and he's looking for an older toyota truck for trade. These weren't on my radar till now...

Denny Different

Just picked up an 07 with 180k it was a dealer serviced pavement princess with dealer service for 176k. There is information from the gxor about how to use the VIN to look up lexus dealer service history. Also the sound system is AMAZING!

JLee

Adventurer
Do these have the exhaust manifold cracking issues like the other Toyota rigs with 4.7L?

Yep. I'm still good at 197k, though. If I have to replace manifolds once during the life of the truck, I'll survive (also an excuse to go with Doug Thorley headers).

phsycle

Adventurer
Yep. I'm still good at 197k, though. If I have to replace manifolds once during the life of the truck, I'll survive (also an excuse to go with Doug Thorley headers).

I believe there were some drama with DT headers over at the LC forum (ih8mud). Can't remember if it was quality issue or customer service.

Mima_470

When you are looking to buy, stay away from the Navi option. The stereo it comes with sounds great but you currently have EXTREMELY limited options if you are ever looking to replace the stock head unit (tape deck / 6 disc changer). My 07 w/Nav has bluetooth phone but not bluetooth stereo. My work-around was a $15 bluetooth receiver that plugs into the 3.5mm jack. Had I done a bit more research I would have found one with a standard head unit and taken advantage of the great double din setups you can find today.

JLee

Adventurer
When you are looking to buy, stay away from the Navi option. The stereo it comes with sounds great but you currently have EXTREMELY limited options if you are ever looking to replace the stock head unit (tape deck / 6 disc changer). My 07 w/Nav has bluetooth phone but not bluetooth stereo. My work-around was a $15 bluetooth receiver that plugs into the 3.5mm jack. Had I done a bit more research I would have found one with a standard head unit and taken advantage of the great double din setups you can find today.

Note on that, 2007+ gets the 3.5mm aux jack. 2003-2006 don't have it, so you have to find another workaround. I have a Grom BT3 in my 05 w/nav.

There are people who have acquired junkyard parts and converted nav to non-nav -- apparently it requires extending seven wires in the harness but the rest work.

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
The engine and drivetrain on these trucks are extremely reliable as a daily driver. In my ownership experience, the primary thing to be aware of with the 4.7L V8 motor is a proper water pump & timing belt service performed reasonably close to Toyota's prescribed service interval. This must include a new thermostat, tensioner, cam seals and all the fixings. The next big thing i noticed is these engines can be sensitive to improper oil change intervals. Wait too long and the timing and ignition will suffer. The final consideration i'll mention is one I've personally experienced, and that is the ever-common cracked exhaust manifold, caused by rust most frequently present in Midwestern & east coast vehicles where road salt takes a toll. $1300+ for OEM Manifolds plus ~ $500 in labor if you're lucky. $850 for Doug Thorley replacements plus labor to install. Ouch.

Ditch the air suspension. More than likely, if you're a member of this forum you'll outgrow the stock suspension after a season or two. Reliable aftermarket shocks & springs will support and level a ridiculous amount of weight and If you need rear airbags for towing heavy trailers, you can install a set for $100 without fiddling with OEM electronics and light duty equipment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12