GX470 Suspension Recommendation

kmroxo

Observer
Last year did the following on my 08 GX because my original rear air suspension system was breaking. This setup gave me a 2" lift and a nice smooth Lexus style ride with better road handling. I didn't have to change the other suspension parts on the SUV like control arms etc. On washboard roads, I have gone 40-45mph on them without batting an eye. The 265/70/17 BFG also fit in the spare. I'm very happy with this setup except the only caveat is that Icon coil-overs recommend maintenance every 15K miles for street/dirt driving or when a leak develops (I wish I looked at this stat before).

SSO GX470 AIR TO COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT
Moog K160072 Coil Spring Insulator
Icon Rear 2.0 Shock 56505
Icon Rear Coils 52700
Icon Front Coilover 58640
265/70/17 BFG AT load e

What did this set up cost?

Exigis

The rear Icon suspension was ~ $650 and front used newly rebuilt coilovers I bought for $700. My front left coilover already started to leak with less than 15K miles mostly street driving with only a couple of trips camping. I would recommend buying new or going with a different brand that has less maintenance, unless you like that sort of thing. I hope that spending another $250 for a rebuild/repair&replace on the left front coilover, it'll last longer than 15K miles. I've read that Radflo lasts 40-50K miles before maintenance.

To be fair, the rear Icon suspension I have were on longer than 20K miles and they are still going strong providing a smooth ride even while towing. Only time will tell.

IanB

I went with a Dobinsons 1.5F/1R w/ twin tube shocks on my '04 GX470, and I've been really impressed with how nicely it rides on road. Did new OEM LCA's and UCA's at the same time, it's better than new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12