GX470 vs. LR3 (overland rig)

oliverlove

Adventurer
Before I bought my 2000 LX470, my wife and I looked at 2007 LR3. We liked the vehicle, but when we started looking at maintenance costs and issues with the front suspension we quickly crossed it off the list of options.

Style wise, the LR3 is a great looking vehicle.

Reliability wise - you can't beat the Toyota heritage with the GX.

zelatore

Explorer
Ok, all differences aside, my cousin has a Land Rover series three and we went wheeling at rausch creek, and both times he broke down! It's a nice truck but damn, those three amigos are annoying...oh and both belt tensioners gave up the ghost, one each trip.

And this is why you don't ask for information about a Rover on a Cruiser forum.

Mr. Mongoose here is giving an opinion on a vehicle he not only doesn't own, but is basing that opinion on a vehicle owned by a cousin that has NOTHING in common with an LR3. A Series Rover is a really cool rig, but it's a vintage rig with more in common with the original Rover of the '50s than a modern Rover. To compare a Series truck and an LR3 would be like comparing a Toyopet and a new Lexus or a new F150 with a '50 F100. They were both made by the same company but that's where the similarities end.

I know you've posted on the Rover section as well. There seems to be a much more realistic feedback there. I'm not saying the Rover is the end-all of overlanding platforms, but the responses I see regarding Rovers from the average toyota owner are ...let's say 'not useful'.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
And this is why you don't ask for information about a Rover on a Cruiser forum.

Mr. Mongoose here is giving an opinion on a vehicle he not only doesn't own, but is basing that opinion on a vehicle owned by a cousin that has NOTHING in common with an LR3. A Series Rover is a really cool rig, but it's a vintage rig with more in common with the original Rover of the '50s than a modern Rover. To compare a Series truck and an LR3 would be like comparing a Toyopet and a new Lexus or a new F150 with a '50 F100. They were both made by the same company but that's where the similarities end.

I know you've posted on the Rover section as well. There seems to be a much more realistic feedback there. I'm not saying the Rover is the end-all of overlanding platforms, but the responses I see regarding Rovers from the average toyota owner are ...let's say 'not useful'.

Same goes for rover owners .

KMET

Adventurer
Before I bought my 2000 LX470, my wife and I looked at 2007 LR3. We liked the vehicle, but when we started looking at maintenance costs and issues with the front suspension we quickly crossed it off the list of options.

Style wise, the LR3 is a great looking vehicle.

Reliability wise - you can't beat the Toyota heritage with the GX.

Unfortunately you never test drove an LR3 running coilovers & poly bushings.

zelatore

Explorer
Same goes for rover owners .

True enough, though I've specifically stayed away from commenting on the toyota, I'm only pointing out that the above response was completely irrelevant to the posed question.

I'm no toyota fan and if asked would of course favor the Rover, but not at the point of claiming the toyota was junk. I've never owned one myself so I'm not really in a position to comment.

(The wife did own a toyota long ago and from my experiences with it it WAS junk, but it wasn't a cruiser, it was a Paseo. Rather different.)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
True enough, though I've specifically stayed away from commenting on the toyota, I'm only pointing out that the above response was completely irrelevant to the posed question.

I'm no toyota fan and if asked would of course favor the Rover, but not at the point of claiming the toyota was junk. I've never owned one myself so I'm not really in a position to comment.

(The wife did own a toyota long ago and from my experiences with it it WAS junk, but it wasn't a cruiser, it was a Paseo. Rather different.)

I'm sure it was junk . So why are you in the cruiser board? Why aren't you on the rover board?

matches130

Organizer
Having owned both and currently still own the GX, I would pick, and did, the GX. I loved my Land Rover and it makes you feel good when you drive it. I admits the Lexus is a little bit boring when it comes to a "feeling" but I know it will always get me home. The repair costs on the LR were getting ridiculous and I sold it at 145k miles. I'm the guy who does every service required, on time, so it wasn't due to lack of love that it broke. Stick with Toyota, you won't be disappointed. Btw my GX is built and used regularly for over landing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
I'm sure it was junk . So why are you in the cruiser board? Why aren't you on the rover board?
Somebody has to keep an eye on you guys....and seriously, that Paseo was really bad. It's OK though, I have a $500 D1 you can poke fun at if you want.

(OK, I just hit 'new posts' and don't usually pay that much attention to which sub-forum it's in...I just click whatever looks interesting)

Bama4door

Observer
No reason to turn this into a pissing match between LR and Toyota. Zelatore was giving his advice and has one of the most well built LR3's on this site and has taken it a lot of places most have not (LR or Toyota).

I just sold my LR4, but never had one issue with it and loved driving it. The ability for all the back seats to fold down flat is a nice plus and the Terrain Response is really impressive. Only downfall to LR3/4 is the wheel wells are very small and you are hard pressed to run 33" tires easily/reliably.

I sold the LR4 and got a higher mileage LX470 for my fiance to drive and she really enjoys it so far. Both are great vehicles...

EDR

Observer
If you are looking for bulletproof reliability I would have to say that a 100 series land cruiser would be perfect for you. I went through this same decision process when buying my 100. I have a 2000 D2 and wanted to add an LR3 to the stable but no matter how hard I tried to fight it I couldn't say no to the land cruiser. Just looking through sale ads and seeing perfectly running 100s with 300-400k plus miles helped make my decision a lot easier. The GX is a very capable rig, but does not have the same aftermarket following as a land cruiser and will be more work to get to the same point. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but for piece of mind and long term reliability a land cruiser is going to be hard to beat. Plus, you get a tailgate!

zelatore

Explorer
Wait...the Rover guys are the ones who get hurt? uh..... You'll notice I haven't said a single bad thing about land cruisers here, nor have I said the Rover was better in any way. I was simply pointing out that most toyota owners do not have any actual knowledge about the LR3 platform, instead they have rumor and 'a friend's cousin's sister's boyfriend once had a '99 Discovery and it was always breaking down...' sort of stuff. And when I called somebody on that exact sort of thing I'm the one who's hurt? Relax guys, I've made no secret that I'm not a toyota fanboy but I'm not here to bash your junk, just point out that the OP needed to read the Rover side of the board to get an honest opinion about it. And he's done just that. For kicks some of you might pop over to that thread and see just how much Toyota bashing is going on over there....let's just say it's a lot less than the Rover bashing going on over here. So do be careful there Mr. Kettle. :confused:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Wait...the Rover guys are the ones who get hurt? uh..... You'll notice I haven't said a single bad thing about land cruisers here, nor have I said the Rover was better in any way. I was simply pointing out that most toyota owners do not have any actual knowledge about the LR3 platform, instead they have rumor and 'a friend's cousin's sister's boyfriend once had a '99 Discovery and it was always breaking down...' sort of stuff. And when I called somebody on that exact sort of thing I'm the one who's hurt? Relax guys, I've made no secret that I'm not a toyota fanboy but I'm not here to bash your junk, just point out that the OP needed to read the Rover side of the board to get an honest opinion about it. And he's done just that. For kicks some of you might pop over to that thread and see just how much Toyota bashing is going on over there....let's just say it's a lot less than the Rover bashing going on over here. So do be careful there Mr. Kettle. :confused:
most rover guys have zero experience with Toyotas and you all are talking from ignorance. :-D it seems to me from reading this post that you are getting butt hurt. As you went on a long rant about how reliable rovers are and how youre not a Toyota fan boy but are a rover fan boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger