GY Duratrac issues

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Just curious what you guys would reccomend as an alternative to Duratracs in an E rating with all steel belts? Maybe Toyo M55s?:ylsmoke:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Toyo MT. From Sorat Tires in north van. Cheapest I could find them and I looked as far away as Oregon.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I'm on my 2nd set of DTs on my UZJ100, they are great tires but, despite attempts to be all things to all people, they do have limits.

FWIW....
That wonderful squishy feel being discussed here, like the feel from wearing a Sorrel boot, comes from the pliable sidewalls required to meet the coveted "snowflake" rating/approval. Soft/squishy sidewalls are a characterization of snow tires, designed to reduce trammeling in snow. Load range and number of sidewall belts is not always a direct correlation to tire sidewal stiffness, as the DTs prove. GY has developed a very dynamic compound for DTs and the AT market, but if one is used to BFG KMs or Interco anything, then the DTs will feel squishy. Honestly don't worry it.

On tarmac from April to Nov, I run 40PSI all around for normal driving, when towing I run 50PSI in the rear. For snow from Nov to April I'm not a big fan of DTs, they do not meet my expectations and think they are over valued; so I run FS Winterforce. For mud/off road DO NOT air down below 18PSI or you will risk punctures and tears. Here the soft sidewall is benificial, you get great grip at higher than normal air-down pressure. Every time I wheel with someone who airs down <18 it turns into a fiasco on the trail. One guy aired down to 8psi and rolled the beads off on 2 tires 300 yards into the trail...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Have had my new Duratracs on my company truck for a awhile now. All the squishynees is gone. They're as steady on the highway as Mich LTX's now.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I've had BFG AT KO on numerous vehicles. Very satisfied. Most recently got 80K miles from a set on wife's Sequoia. I have a set of 33x12.50 15 on my LJ Rubi. I pulled them almost new from my old TJ, about 40K ago, total on tires about 50K. I decided to put the original Moab 16" wheels back on. Decided to get 265 75 16 this time. More DD road miles. Guy at the tire store told me to try GY Duratrac. He said he had a lot of repeat customers. So I said, show me a tire. None in stock. How long to get a set? 1 week. This could mean a very popular tire, or MGR knows they are slow movers, or many other explanations. Many posts I see say, xxx tire is as good as a BFG AT. I decided to buy the BFG ATs. Known history for me, similar price, in stock, satisifed. What's not to like. Got them tonight. No squirm. They have the snow flake. Supposed to rain a lot tomorrow.

Explorer
My E Duratracs "squirmed" and didn't seem to track very well at all until about 1,000 miles, after that they feel great.

Make sure you have them aligned properly by a true alignment shop - not walmart!

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
FWIW....
That wonderful squishy feel being discussed here, like the feel from wearing a Sorrel boot, comes from the pliable sidewalls required to meet the coveted "snowflake" rating/approval. Soft/squishy sidewalls are a characterization of snow tires, designed to reduce trammeling in snow. Load range and number of sidewall belts is not always a direct correlation to tire sidewal stiffness, as the DTs prove.

I have some doubt about this theory. First... The de facto standard (BFG AT's) have the "coveted snowflake rating" and have sidewalls stiff as a board on the "E" rated tires. So soft sidewalls are NOT a key for the snowflake rating (at least BFG knows how to do it without soft sidewalls).

And "squishyness" is not something one just lives with. If you are cruising down the highway at 65 and need to dodge some *#&@ with an emergency lane change maneuver you need tires that respond and soft sidewalls are NOT going to be what you want. Fortunately it seems many people report that the "squishiness" (or tread squirm) is a function of heat cycles and the tires seem to firm up. Otherwise they'd be unacceptable to me (just my personal opinion).

verdesardog

Explorer
Get a copy of the tire pressure/load tables..run your tires at the recomended pressure for the load on them.....of course to do that you have to get your axle loads weighed.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I have some doubt about this theory. First... The de facto standard (BFG AT's) have the "coveted snowflake rating" and have sidewalls stiff as a board on the "E" rated tires. So soft sidewalls are NOT a key for the snowflake rating (at least BFG knows how to do it without soft sidewalls).

And "squishyness" is not something one just lives with. If you are cruising down the highway at 65 and need to dodge some *#&@ with an emergency lane change maneuver you need tires that respond and soft sidewalls are NOT going to be what you want. Fortunately it seems many people report that the "squishiness" (or tread squirm) is a function of heat cycles and the tires seem to firm up. Otherwise they'd be unacceptable to me (just my personal opinion).

My Duratracs are noticeably firmer top the touch now. I'll bet that them "drying out" to normal and wearing off the mold release is all people are feeling.
-
The less aggressive Silent Armors do the exact same thing. Truck will feel loose in a slalom. Like a well balanced Mustang. You kinda loose your stomach a little as the rear comes around perfectly following the front (if you back off on the steering in time). But it'll wander all over the place and feel wiggly. M trucks back to rock solid and massive understeer like any other tire on the market.
-
At proper inflation, sidewall stiffness has never had a noticeable effect on any of my trucks. BFG, Cooper STT, GY DT etc. etc. At 70/88 psi with 3000 pounds plus capacity per tire, it just deson't seem to matter like it deos at low psi offroad.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I have a set of E range Duratracs on my diesel Liberty. I recently towed a 6000 lb car trailer about 300 miles and the tires and vehicle as a whole felt nice and stable the whole way at 65 mph. I will say that the tires are very loud from about 40-55 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik N

Adventurer
:rolleyes:
Have had my new Duratracs on my company truck for a awhile now. All the squishynees is gone. They're as steady on the highway as Mich LTX's now.

My Duratracs are noticeably firmer top the touch now. I'll bet that them "drying out" to normal and wearing off the mold release is all people are feeling.
-
The less aggressive Silent Armors do the exact same thing. Truck will feel loose in a slalom. Like a well balanced Mustang. You kinda loose your stomach a little as the rear comes around perfectly following the front (if you back off on the steering in time). But it'll wander all over the place and feel wiggly. M trucks back to rock solid and massive understeer like any other tire on the market.
-
At proper inflation, sidewall stiffness has never had a noticeable effect on any of my trucks. BFG, Cooper STT, GY DT etc. etc. At 70/88 psi with 3000 pounds plus capacity per tire, it just deson't seem to matter like it deos at low psi offroad.

You have posted a few times about these tires firming up after use, and heat cycling.

I sold my Duratracs a month after buying my Suburban. It is a Texas truck, and here is the best place to thoroughly heat a tire. They were 1/2 worn, and still were squishy, vague, and loud IMO.

Also, RE the Michelin LTX- I put about 200 miles a day on them, 5 days a week, working in the back of ambulance. I trust them a LOT. I would run them on every rig if I could.

PS a Mustang has never been a particularly well balanced car.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998