Gypsy Rack from a Hmmwv?

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Has anyone installed one on their vehicle other than a HMMWV? I saw this add that had one for sale. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9075-FS-Heavy-Duty-Roof-Rack-(San-Diego) Click the link to see the pics of what I am talking about. Thinking ofputting one on my cherokee and suburban. I haven't measured the Burb's roof yet to see what it would look like. Measurements look to indicate that it should fit the cherokee fine. They are a little heavy. I think they are supposed to be 190lbs. ARB rack is 90lbs for comparison. Is it worth it or a waste of time?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
haha. blast from the past. Kodiak1232003 was me, before I was bigdaddy. :)

I bought that rack from mike and put it on a LJ wrangler. It was WAYYYY too heavy for a jeep.

A suburban would be more appropriate, but honestly something like a lightweight baja-rack is really all most people should need.

Unless you have specific needs that require something that beefy, I'd pass on them, as cool as they "seem".

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Big Daddy,

Did you have a pic of it on the Jeep? I have always wanted an ARB rack but can't justify the cost. The GypsyRack is much more affordable and why I considered it even though the weight is greater.

ExpoMike

I was the one who bought it originally to put on my Cherokee at the time. After I got it, it is WAY too heavy. I would have ripped the rain gutters off of that rig. Even on a Wrangler, it is way overkill. A full size Suburban maybe, if you bolt it to the roof, not any gutters.

AS Brian said, as cool and cheap as they are, they had an intended purpose and it's not really on a normal rig. That's my honest opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78