H3T at Moab

chet

island Explorer
and made the windows smaller! :oops:

as for the tie rods, I think I read they have beefed them up at least in the v8 models. I would not buy an h3 with the 6 cyl. when the LS v8 will get almost the same mileage and better power. its a big vehicle and putting the 5 cyl. makes it horrible. I have driven one and changed my mind after that.

oh and the windows were too small!

IggyB

Adventurer
Tie rods are fairly easy to change on the trail.

As far as i'm concerned, it's a component that I would gladly sacrifice instead of breaking something else in the steering system. Xterra's and Frontiers (00 to 04) are known for bending and breaking them. I carry spares.

For me, it's like a hub fuse - replaceable part.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I may have missed it, but it appears that picture is on the Hells Revenge obstacle known as 'Tip Over Challenge' can anyone confirm? I attempted taking my old XJ Cherokee up that, but didn't have the manliness to potentially roll on the first day out...

I like the H3. Somewhat limited visibility from my test drive a while back...

alvarorb

Adventurer
I think that it's great that the truck can do Hell's Revenge. But let's face it, without Hell's Gate, Hell's Revenge is not a super tough trail.
Yes, it requires a nice running gear and armor. But other than that, it's pretty much aim and go.

I think VW took their Touareg there too. That gives them bragging rights to Moab and the "red rocks". But it's not like they did Golden Spike. It's all relative. With enough money, you can take a stock rig anywhere.

Regards

Alvaro

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
pete.wilson said:
Hey

The one thing everyone has to remember, lets be honest, is that ALL production vehicles have short comings. Builders such as GM, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Land Rover, others and yes even Toyota. They ALL make a decent vehicles but have to sell them for a reasonable price so people will buy them time and time again, thats what their in business to do. They are providing what the masses want to an extent (not for a select few true off-roaders who don't usually buy repeatedly like those trying to keep up with the Jones'). That's the best part of having shortcomings is having such a good aftermarket. Replace H2 or H3 tierods with aftermarket parts and most weak problems are solved; Rebuild or replace axles, overhaul transfer case, install new springs and a stocks weak link is gone, etc. I like how Jeepers have always said "Real Jeeps are made, not bought", there is a lot of truth in that statement. I drive an old 94 GMC suburban 4X4 with IFS, it works fine for the type of off-roading/camping/research I do. Some would yank the IFS and install a solid axle, and thats fine, others yet wouldn't touch the whole thing. No need for the attitudes, just different wants for different folks, as long as we all have fun and take pride in our own rides who cares what gets driven.....Hell someday I may own a Toyota. But there is a place for each of us to do our own thing and an aftermarket that helps us modify our toys. After all, didn't we join the forums here to read about the mods and experiences of others and how they modified their own rigs for doing what they wanted. Relax and enjoy.

Except Power Wagon. Just sayin' :smiley_drive:

haven

Expedition Leader
H3T video

The PickupTruck.com web site has a link to video of their drive on Hell's Revenge in the new H3T. The video includes footage on two optional obstacles, Hell's Gate and Tip Over Challenge.

Intro, Easy Driving then Hell's Gate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4K5u86FyUI

H3T driver talks about error he made climbing Hell's Gate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZ5af0PFYs

GM-sponsored video of H3T in Moab
includes Tip-Over Challenge footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMGhx-1SME

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Colorado based on H3

At the very end of the PickupTruck.com article describing their drive in Moab with the new H3T, these words appear:

"As we crawled around Hell's Revenge in the H3T we were followed closely by ...a Hummer H3 SUV wearing the skin of a regular cab, short bed Chevy Colorado. Under its hood was the I5 mated to an automatic gearbox."

Here's the photo from the PickupTruck.com article of this interesting project truck:

h3colorado.jpg

Nice-looking rear bumper, too!

An Colorado upfitted to the H3's level of off-road equipment would be very attractive. Let's hope Chevy decides to market it, either as a Colorado or as a two door H3 pickup.

Here's the link to the PickupTruck.com article about the H3T.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2009/hummer/h3t/firstdrive/page1.html

Chip Haven

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
haven said:
At the very end of the PickupTruck.com article describing their drive in Moab with the new H3T, these words appear:

"As we crawled around Hell's Revenge in the H3T we were followed closely by ...a Hummer H3 SUV wearing the skin of a regular cab, short bed Chevy Colorado. Under its hood was the I5 mated to an automatic gearbox."

Here's the photo from the PickupTruck.com article of this interesting project truck:

h3colorado.jpg

Nice-looking rear bumper, too!

An Colorado upfitted to the H3's level of off-road equipment would be very attractive. Let's hope Chevy decides to market it, either as a Colorado or as a two door H3 pickup.

Here's the link to the PickupTruck.com article about the H3T.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2009/hummer/h3t/firstdrive/page1.html

Chip Haven
Now THATS a truck to get a bit excited about...

Cheers

Dave

98sr5

Observer
they did make the zr-2 or whatever offroad package the s10 had but it wasnt very popular from what i see i guess all the offroading will be left up to hummer when it comes to gm

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
98sr5 said:
they did make the zr-2 or whatever offroad package the s10 had but it wasnt very popular from what i see i guess all the offroading will be left up to hummer when it comes to gm
That was hardly the same thing. The ZR2 package is pretty much a sticker kit IMO.

98sr5

Observer
im pretty sure the front end is different on the zr-2s the tracker zr-2 is just a sticker package maybe thats what your thinking of

REDLYNER

alvarorb said:
I think that it's great that the truck can do Hell's Revenge. But let's face it, without Hell's Gate, Hell's Revenge is not a super tough trail.
Yes, it requires a nice running gear and armor. But other than that, it's pretty much aim and go.

Alvaro

Hells Revenge is by far my favorite trail in Moab and I have run it 5 times now.

Hells Gate is not extremely difficult if you follow the correct line. ESCALATOR, on the other hand, is by far the hardest obstacle on Hells Revenge (well... maybe the taller of the two hot tubs is as well), and there is no "correct line".

We took my wife's H3 on 33"s through Hells Revenge and ran a couple of the side obstacles without a scratch. I have yet to have any problems at all with the H3 and we wheel it every other weekend here in Colorado. We are running 35"s on it now, and still have not had any breaks. Doesn't mean they won't happen, but the H3 is not a fragile vehicle by any means.

Here is our caravan- My wife follows almost all of my lines, and I am locked front and rear on 35"s.-

Upper Carnage, CO
huml4.JPG

Hells Gate, Moab
MMM4.JPG

Fireman's Hill, CO
huml7.JPG

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mudpro said:
That looooong underbelly of the H3T would worry me.

Sure, if you were rockcrawling the long wheelbase would be a disadvantage. For many other duties, the longer wheelbase may be an asset.

For comparisson:

The wheelbase is 95" for the Jeep JK

The wheelbase is 110" for the Tacoma regular cab

The wheelbase is 112" for the H3

The wheelbase is 116" for the Jeep JK Unlimited

The wheelbase is 128" for the Tacoma double cab

The wheelbase is 134" for the H3T

The wheelbase is 140" for the Tacoma double cab longbed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member