Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

GabAlmighty

Observer
As for the super low first gear, It's the same as my 2002 Cummins. I don't use first gear, 2nd gear starts all day.

Looks really good but I agree on the 6'6" bed but nothing you can do now but enjoy the thing! Any plans to do some sort of roof rack on the bed? Similar to a boat/landscapers rack?

hackster

Adventurer
What type of seats are those? They look like they would feel real nice.

They area Mastercraft Baja rs seats, and yes they are awesomely comfortable. They are an off road suspension seat, It would take too long to explain here, but if you ever want a seat that will not beat you up over the long haul on less than descent roads, look into these.

As for the super low first gear, It's the same as my 2002 Cummins. I don't use first gear, 2nd gear starts all day.

Looks really good but I agree on the 6'6" bed but nothing you can do now but enjoy the thing! Any plans to do some sort of roof rack on the bed? Similar to a boat/landscapers rack

I was thinking that with the 37's and 3.54 gears that first gear might be more suitable for using on a normal basis.....guess not. No real plans for a ladder type rack on the bed, it will have a toob rack that is over the top of the cab for hauling stuff on though, heck that roof is big enough that it will be damn near the size of most peoples bed =)

Sean

hackster

Adventurer
Managed to get just shy of 200 miles on it this week running around back and forth to work a couple days and picking up parts yesterday morning.

Next on the agenda was the front bumper. I got a vr12000 winch from Warn and a super simple winch tray to start with.

Worked late friday night so I had to get all my parts on Saturday. Got home and got to work kind of late. but made some good progress.

Sorry for the crappy photos, was not a lot of light when I got this far last night.

61BD43DA.jpg

Got back at it this morning and made descent progress. All that is left is to wire up the winch and build some kind of light bar when I get some lights.....there will be lights. =)

A17CD027.jpg

774A7ED5.jpg

8BFD1E66.jpg

Carpet should be here this week, goes to the tranny guy tomorrow morning to diagnose the issues with the shifting.

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That is nice! The giant bumpers you see most companies building would not look good on your classic...

zukrider

Explorer
great build bro! i have been eyeing a crew in my dads neighborhood with this same idea floating around! very nice!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Like the new bumper, Tucks in nice!
"does not look like a cow catcher on a steam locomotive like so many others do!"

rube bonet

Adventurer
I would be cautious mounting that winch "foot down". I am not familiar with that series of Warn, but I have seen quite a few failures (my old shop was an authorized warn repair station) of the older 12,000-16,500 winches due to improper mounting. Warn used to require (on the 12,000 and up up) mounts to have foot forward mounting, and there is actually another pair of holes on the bottom of the winch to attach two more bolts. Maybe they think the vr series you don't need to worry about, but I would definitely call Warn to be sure.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would be cautious mounting that winch "foot down". I am not familiar with that series of Warn, but I have seen quite a few failures (my old shop was an authorized warn repair station) of the older 12,000-16,500 winches due to improper mounting. Warn used to require (on the 12,000 and up up) mounts to have foot forward mounting, and there is actually another pair of holes on the bottom of the winch to attach two more bolts. Maybe they think the vr series you don't need to worry about, but I would definitely call Warn to be sure.

Fully agree. I ran a lot of the old 12K Warn winches on Wildland fire engines. They where all mounted foot forward per Warn.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It is interesting that the industrial 12K winch has more mounting bolts? 8 on the bottom I think....and 4 more forward and back available also. Even the industrial version manual says you can do feet down. Personally I would probably error safe and go foot forward IF I could build a strong enough mount for the added leverage. I have seen a lot of 8274 adapter mounts that REALLY torque on the bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan