had a little fun yesterday

frumpy

Explorer
My 28 day waiting period is up tomorrow for my non-restricted gun license (license still has to be mailed out though). I heard there was an open house at the local range so I thought I would go check it out. I got to shoot quite a bit (colt 45, ruger 10/22, sks, Mosin-Nagant M91/30, and a few o/u and semi shotguns). It was a blast, no pun intended. The 10/22 I shot I believe was not modded but had what seemed like a pretty good scope on it. It was fun for what it was and would probably be something for the winter/rainy days. As for what I will probably blow all my money on.... skeet and trap shooting was awesome. I had never shot a shotgun before (or anything outside of the military) and I was hitting the majority of the birds. They were just letting everyone shoot the "easy stations" but let me try a few different stations.

Anyways, I already bought a Mossberg 500 that I will be picking up when my license shows up. I will also be picking up a .22 I'm not too concerned with which one I get just something to keep me occupied in the bad weather (indoor range is only hand guns and .22s) but I will also probably be getting an o/u for trap and skeet too... next summer.

Strizzo

Explorer
the 10/22 is a great gun if you're planning on modding it, but the standard carbine is not the best right out of the box. mine was fairly inconsistent with the stock barrel, but is much improved with the Green Mountain bull barrel and bolt rework.

if you're looking for a basic .22 to plink with and don't want to mod, i'd pick up a cheap savage bolt action. i have a $100 walmart special that i literally never cleaned, and it outshot the stock 10/22 carbine (not really saying a lot)

bfdiesel

Explorer
The only mod I have made to my 10/22 is to change out the aluminium rear pin to a nylon one. The only reason I even did that was for something to do not really a need to do it kinda thing, it does make the cycling a bit quieter though. Very accurate and very reliable IMO.

Savages have really nice barrels out of the box.

photoman

Explorer
Clays and .22's are a great way to spend a few hours. As kids we would shoot clay pigeons until we were out of clays or ammo, go pick up any large pieces of them and then shoot them with the .22's. I just picked up a Remington Express 20 guage so my son can do the same thing once the weather gets a little cooler here.

I need to find a nice but not too expensive .22 bolt action rifle for him. He has been shooting my Sears Roebuck single shot .22 for a couple years now. From what I have been able to gather that rifle was probably made in the early 60's and still shoots great. I can hit a golf ball at 50 yards with just the BB sight.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Yep, family affair for us. My in-laws are getting me into trap and sporting clays. I've been a bird hunter (Ruffed Grouse) for 30+ years, and never did any organized trap shooting. What a blast!

My wife likes trap and handguns, and my boys (ages 9 and 21) like it all, rifles, handguns and shotguns.

What's really nice, is my wife and her mom work a shooting supply/gun store.:coffeedrink:

It's nice, but also keeps me in the ppor house!:Wow1:

frumpy

Explorer
I ended up going with the marlin 795 with iron sights, then decided I wanted a scope so I picked up a bushnell at a gun show (Paid $140 for the gun, $30 for the used bushnell, and $10 for the rings). Going to go out tomorrow and zero it in, I grabbed some scrap 4'x4' sheets of plywood to help with the zeroing and I'm about to order a few 1/2" thick AR500 targets.

I'm holding off on joining the gun club as the memberships renew Jan 1st and there is no discount for joining part way through the year, so until then it's crown land shooting.

My wife (who is 32 weeks pregnant) didn't like the idea of guns in the house at first, now she comes shooting with me most of the time and even asks if I want to go shoot so she can watch. She has expressed a little interest in shooting after the baby is born so I will let her go with it as far as she wants. I doubt she will do much shooting but it's still fun going out together and shooting stuff. We have even discussed getting her a spotting scope when I pony up for a centre fire target rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears