Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

VW Jeeper

Observer
Haggis - I'm putting together a build plan for our DC Tundra and considering the 5100s up front at the top setting to allow for 285s. Given the miles you've got on them now do you have plans to change them out anytime soon and if so would you buy another set or go with a different set up?

I ran them on my '02 Tundra at the top setting and was happy with them other than feeling like they would top out fairly easy over large bumps.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I'm quite happy with the Bilstiens. 50,000 miles on them and they still feel new to me, I haven't noticed any fade or bounce in their preformance. I like the way the ride and handle and if I were to do it again I'd still put the 5100s on. I think they are the best bang for the buck out there.

VW Jeeper

Observer
I'm quite happy with the Bilstiens. 50,000 miles on them and they still feel new to me, I haven't noticed any fade or bounce in their preformance. I like the way the ride and handle and if I were to do it again I'd still put the 5100s on. I think they are the best bang for the buck out there.

Are yours set to the top notch? Swaybar on or off?

Thanks

NetDep

Adventurer
Nice looking start to a very nice tundra. I purchased a 03 limited new loaded and this is what I have turned it into.Iwent ARB Sahara bar, warn 9000x,procomp 1079 wheels with locking rings,33" bfg at tires,extream outback compressor,ham radios,and RCD 6 inch lift installed in my garage at home,rhino coated bed a nd a snug top shell. I do have a lot more to type about but will leave it for another time.Everything on this truck I did myself,remember it was a stock 03 limited 4x4.
MVC-009S.jpg

trucklfitinstall022.jpg

Gorgeous truck!!! :drool:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thoughts on our next Camping Set-Up

Some of you know that we sold our Evolution E1 trailer a couple of weeks ago. It was a good set-up and served us well but it was going to be more trailer than we will need in the future. And as it was going to sit idle for well over a year while my wife returns to college we decided it would be best to sell it while it still held its value and hasn't succumbed to entropy from idleness. And it's looking that when we do get serious again about our adventuring it will probably be more often than not just be me and Michelle. Beside I get tired of towing a trailer behind me.

Well now we are kicking around what kind of camping set-up we want next. And as there is no real one winner, winner, chicken dinner solution we have been weighing the pros and cons of different styles of backcountry camping. We were set up for base camping with the E1 and remote, rugged camping with our tent rollout kit, so technically we could just use the tent kit and call it done. But what's the fun in that?

I wrote this up to clarify our thoughts and to give Michelle a visual representation of different camping solutions, thought I might as well share it here. So these are our options as we see it and our thoughts on them…in no particular order of preference…

#1. Sleeping platform and Cap...as seen here with upcruiser's Tundra

024_1A.jpg

Advantages...We already have everything to go this route. The cap, the platform and all the gear are just outside in the garage. A simple cost effective camping solution for two.

Disadvantages…It's a solution for two, if the kids come along there will be more gear to situate, a tent to throw in and a greater possibility of camping clutter to shift around to go from travel mode to sleep mode. I hate a cluttered truck. No footprint if your base camping and you leave your spot for a little cruise. Wouldn't want to get back to your camp site and find it occupied. Modification of my current platform would be necessary to make it work.

#2. FlipPak...as illustrated by Rock-wear's Tundra…

utah134.jpg

Advantages….Always ready to go: Provides a place to stand for changing clothes: Allows the truck bed to be used for storage and possible build-ins:

Disadvantages...Cost, not only the cost of the unit but the shipping to get it out here: Our wet weather environment, definitely need the rain cover which adds to cost: Reliability, everyone who posts about their Flippaks has had some sort of problem, torsion bars, hinges and what not. As the service centers for these things are all out west it would be a pain both in time and money to have a unit repaired: Monopolizes truck bed and it would have to be removed to allow my truck to be used in its main function as a work truck: Storage would be a problem when it was off the truck as we live in the boonies and I can already see the mice, squirrels and porkies making a home and a meal out of an expensive camper with exposed cloth material in the underside of the topper: No footprint if base camping.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
#3. Slide-In Pop-Up Truck camper…such as SunMan's set-up…

IMG_6925.jpg

Advantages…Self-contained unit with all the storage and amenities built right in: Can sleep the kids in a pinch if they tag along: Comfortable place to hang out, cook and kick back if the weather turns bad.

Disadvantages...Cost; these units are expensive even if you can find one used. It's hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that will only be used a few weeks out of a year: Storage options are minimized by the camper's footprint and could be more problematic with the addition of the minions: Monopolizes the truck bed and will have to be stored…see FlipPak disadvantages above: No footprint while base camping: Overhangs expose camper to possible damage in our heavily forested eastern woods.

#4. Teardrop Trailer…as seen behind jim65wagon's Tundra…

Advantages…Self-contained unit always ready to go, all the amenities of home. Can be used by both my vehicles as long as it wasn't too heavy for the Jeep to handle. Camp kitchen is always ready to go, no more hurried set up of a galley when you're starving to death: Comfy shelter if the weather turns bad: Hard sided solution while in bear country: Fast set-up and tear down at camp site: Frees up the truck bed for storage and for racks for hauling kayaks.

Disadvantages…Costly to buy and build: It's a trailer and I still have to pull it behind the truck: No standing room so changing clothes is a wiggle and giggle affair: Yearly cost to register and insure trailer: Storing the trailer when not in use.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
#5. Off Road trailer with RTT…like the one behind Borrego60's Tundra…

DSC01878.jpg

Advantages…Always ready to go, just hook up and head out: Can be towed by all my rigs: Nimble trailer that can be easily man handled if you find yourself in a tricky situation: Trailer can handle a lot of gear while the RTT provides a fast, comfortable place to sleep. With some horse trading can be done at a reasonable expense.

Disadvantages…It's a trailer and I've got to be towing once again: RTT offers no stand up room and would have to buy an enclosure attachment to meet that need. Camp site set up required. Yearly registration and insurance costs.

#6. Contractor's cap with RTT…here's Every Miles a Memory's Super Duty set-up…

971656064_NtHh5-L.jpg

Advantages…Useful cap that would also serve well for work: Allows the use of a truck bed for storage: With sleeping in the RTT, Fridge can stay in the truck's bed and its operation won't bother my light sleeping mind: Can store gear that is used more in the tool box side of the cap for easy access: Relatively reasonable price on these as long as you don't overdo the options: Allows for a number of camping set-ups; RTT on top, Sleeping platform in cap, or gear storage and extra ground tent for the kids. No trailer to haul.

Disadvantages…RTT on top of cap raise the center of gravity of truck and is exposed to the hugging trees of the forested East. No Standing room: Hefting that RTT to the top of the cap: Storing RTT when not in use: No Rack space to haul kayaks as RTT dominates top of shell. No Footprint while basecamping: Requires camp set-up/tear down.

#7. RTT on short rack…like on the dude's Tundra…

59dc3e13.jpg

Advantages…Simple, relatively inexpensive camping solution: Keeps the center of gravity lower on the truck: Provides some protection for the RTT from predatory trees: Access to bed is still fairly easy: With my lower and upper rack rail set-up I can roll with the RTT while having the kayaks riding on the upper racks: If you find yourself not digging the RTT they are fairly easy to sell here on the Portal.

Disadvantages…See RTT ones above: RTT monopolizes the space on the lower rack: RTT is a soft shelled taco in a hungry bears eyes: No footprint while base camping: Requires camp set-up/teardown.

#8. Forget the whole thing a buy a timeshare…:elkgrin:

We are leaning towards an RTT either mounted on our lower rack or on a contractor shell but haven't made up our minds yet. We've got some time to figure it out.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Funny you posted this...

I go through this too. We love our trailer once we are camped. I get tired of towing, parking in congested areas (ie Lunenburg, NS) and it's still a tent in a downpour.

When we stayed at Meat Cove NS, a VW Vanagan pulled up, popped it's top and started cooking... we stayed in the cab, hoping the sideways rain would end before setting up camp and cooking!

I really wanted a Flip Pac, but as you mentioned, seemed to be lots of torsion bar issues and with our wet seasons, I feared I would not keep it sealed correctly (not to mention, I still have not seen one on the East Coast)

A slide in was a serious thought, but it seems to do away with my dream of ready to go all the time... and some of the trails we have done, the width would really scare me.

I keep hoping to find a cheap used topper for my truck and try to modify it to pop up like a VW or Dormmobile... I love looking at pictures like TeriAnns and wonder what I could do...

Maybe one day I can find a 4x4 small van and see if that works....

Just letting you know, you are not alone Mark!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Seems we've discussed this very thing over a few campfires haven't we Jay.

We also talked about getting a creeper van like BigAl's as an option and setting it up strictly for travel. But than that's one more vehicle to maintain, register, outfit and insure plus I'm out of garage space with the four vehicles we already have now. Heck that's not even counting in that Allison will have a rig sitting around here some day soon.

What I'm really trying to avoid is dumping a big chunk of change into a camping set-up and then regretting it all too soon. I've pretty much ruled out a FlipPak as I can see to many problems with owning one. There just is no support here in the East here if you run into warranty or mechanical problems down the road. Driving out to Arizona or Cali to get one fixed is just not workable or practical.

jim65wagon

Can I add that the teardrop:
A) is nimble and lightweight like the Chaser style trailer. If you get that into a tight spot it too is easy to manuever by hand.
B) Your Jeep could tow it.
C)It is not at all like towing your cargo trailer
D)You already have the Gazebo, get the wall system for it and voila! instant changing room.
E)you can build one for less than we are
I'm not recommending any one system over the other, but I would also like to add: I hate the thoughts of
1) Cooking inside a van or camper, the smells would linger and good cleanup is mandatory
2) Packing up my entire camp everytime I want to go tour a forest road
Good luck in your decision, keep us posted on your thoughts.....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Can I add that the teardrop:
A) is nimble and lightweight like the Chaser style trailer. If you get that into a tight spot it too is easy to maneuver by hand.
That I can see.
B) Your Jeep could tow it.
That remains to be seen and depends on the size of the teardrop. Just look at Hilldweller's experience.
C)It is not at all like towing your cargo trailer
Of course not but it would be very similar to towing the E1 though maybe a few feet shorter in overall length.
D)You already have the Gazebo, get the wall system for it and voila! instant changing room.
Yep, we're already figuring the shelter in any of our set-ups. It's just to versatile to ignore and takes up very little room in the grand scheme of things.
E)you can build one for less than we are.
I don't know, your build is going to be top notch and I don't want to just throw something together. If I build a teardrop I'll approach much like you have, but without the emphasis on a year long domicile plan. I'll not need all the luxuries you guys are installing, but I've seen how much even the basics are costing you guys. Than again I am an excellent horse trader and if I'm patient can work up some good deals.

I'm not recommending any one system over the other, but I would also like to add: I hate the thoughts of
1) Cooking inside a van or camper, the smells would linger and good cleanup is mandatory
2) Packing up my entire camp every time I want to go tour a forest road
Good luck in your decision, keep us posted on your thoughts.....

Yeah I didn't even like cooking in the E1. As far as packing up camp, it always seemed to be a pain for those folks who had RTTs at any of our events. Definitely a downfall of a truck mounted sleeping area.

I'm just tired of towing all the time, even with a teardrop you have to mindful of getting in and out of small town gas stations and roadside parking lots, let alone if your stopping off in some backwoods town with only curb parking. Hauling trailers is a pain and I think you'll find that to be more true the more your out and about with your trailer once it's finished. That being said I haven't ruled anything out (other than the FlipPak) and we could end up with a teardrop. We might even follow your lead and rent one some week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears