HAHA! FWC are sweet!

erin

Explorer
If you are interested in some hicap mags for that new toy, let me know. I think I might have two laying around.:ar15:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Finally!

Congrats David!

I know it's been a long summer, waiting. Looking forward to pics from your first outing.

Enjoy! :beer:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
oly884 said:
Thanks man, I just can't wait to try it out.

And here's my "other" new toy :ar15:

DSC_9977Medium.jpg

DSC_9978Medium.jpg

Uh, I guess I won't try to steal your new camper:gunt:

oly884

Willman said:
Bump for this mod!!!

Great looking camper!!! Can't wait to see the action pictures!!

Nice Glock by-the-away...I got a Glock 36 protecting my homestead

Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into this, my bro is a crazy good fabricator. The problem I see with that kit is that my air bags are mounted to the frame and i would have to cut those to fit so I'll probably just talk to my brother.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Brian894x4 said:
Wow:Wow1: I didn't realize that that Wildernest's were that heavy. My guess is it's the fiberglass verses the aluminum frame/skin. Fiberglass canopys are really heavy.

Yeah, they are heavy. That 400 lbs is more of an estimate, it could be significantly lighter or heavier (I'm guessing as much as about 50 lbs +/-). I weighed the truck with it on and then rolled over the same scale with it off, the difference was 385 lbs. But I doubt the precision on a truck stop scale is all that great, so not knowing exactly the error I just figure on 400 lbs for calculations. I think the scale's resolution was 10 lbs, but with my truck at around just 2 tons I doubt the scale is particularly sensitive to a couple of 100 lb changes. If the scale can handle 80,000 lbs, a change of 400 lbs is barely 0.5% change at it's lower limit. I really should get a better measure of its weight, because I do think 350-400 is very conservative. I'd have guessed more in the 250-300 lbs range, since three guys can pick it up.

The block-and-tackle hoist I rigged to lift it on and off gives me 4:1 reduction and it's possible for me to to lift it alone. My pulleys are too small in diameter, though, so I get quite a bit of friction. I get about 3/4" of suspension sag with NWOR Stage-II springs when I install it.

chet

island Explorer
nice camper! I camped beside a fullsize with a FWC on it last year. nice setup. How hard is the door to get in and out of?

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
David;
Congratulations on the new camper. One piece of advice i would give you about finishing your shell camper interior:
Be very careful about weight, ever ounce is important. For example don't use 1/2" plywood for a cabinet or countertop, but build a sandwich panel of 1/8" plywood and foam.
Enjoy
Mark

BlueFly

Observer
Congratulations David! I know you’ve been waiting (im)patiently for this for a long time- wahoo!

I’m in a similar position, having just purchased an Eagle shell model 6 weeks ago (used). I’m slowly sorting through what our priorities are for outfitting the interior- perhaps we can compare notes as we go along.

Like you, I am also figuring out what to do about the pocket between the underside of the cabover and the top of the cab. The simplest option I’ve come up with is mounting a Yakima rack fairing on the nose. A more involved solution is to check out some sheet-metal fab shops to see if a shallow, light-weight box with a scoop nose could be fitted up there for storage (perfect spot for fly rods, for example).

Hope you’re out there this holiday weekend enjoying your new rig and having a grand time!

oly884

Before I get into the review of the camper, I have to say, there are no pictures.

The one thing that I leared was that camera batteries WILL stop working if you run them over (long story)

Onto the camper:

IT ROCKS!!!!

I earned 18 MPG on the drive from Bozeman to Ellensburg, WA. ANd 16 MPG on the way back fighting a 10-20 mph head wind.

Sleeping: Comfortable, but I plan on getting a memory foam mattress to go on top of the original mattress. I have yet to try the fold out couch, but it seems a bit more soft than the over the cab bed. With the windows closed, the noise from outside really isn't that bad. Sure, greater than a hard side camper, but far far better than a tent. I did manage to sleep in one day till about 12 (oooo yeah, that felt good) and it managed to stay decently cool while it was ~ 80-85 out side.

The heater and arctic pack: BIG PLUS. I know that I will have no issue going out in some of the coldest temps that montana can bring with this thing now.

Solar panel: Another huge plus. With my group 29 deep cycle batt powering the lights in the camper, the power inverter (used it for various things ~200 watts for maybe an hour a day), and running the fridge. Not once did I have to start the truck. The solar panel did it's job. Though, once I get the laptop and what not for the camper then I'll be looking at another 150 watts worth of solar, just to be safe.

Plans: Build a sink, fresh and grey water storage, some more cabinets, and some kind of wind deflector for the camper.

If you have any other things you'd like to know about the camper, then by all means let me know and I'll gladly fill you in.

And the one thing I did notice. It's A LOT bigger on the inside than I originally thought (not bigger on the outside than I thought though) 2 people could easily live in there without really getting in the way, and 3 people would make it cozy, but by no means bad. My 2 other buddies and I are going to go camping this winter a lot and from being in there, it should not be an issue to cook/eat/sleep in there with 3 people. For one person, it's a palace.

oly884

Brian894x4 said:
I'd like to see interior pics when you get a chance.

oly884 said:
Before I get into the review of the camper, I have to say, there are no pictures.

The one thing that I leared was that camera batteries WILL stop working if you run them over (long story)

The battery got ran over this weekend by a boom truck. Long story. So it's going to be a while before I get some pictures.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
:drool: Congratulations! :drool: Keep us posted...

...what exactly happened to the batteries of your camera? Was the camera still attached to the batteries when it happened?

oly884

The Swiss said:
:drool: Congratulations! :drool: Keep us posted...

...what exactly happened to the batteries of your camera? Was the camera still attached to the batteries when it happened?

I'm happy to say that the camera and battery were not coupled together when a truck decided to run it over.

I was in a parade on the back of a huge boom truck taking pics of the float. The battery was about to die, so I pulled it out to warm it up in my hands to make it last a bit longer, and ended up dropping it between the bed and the cab. Then the boom truck ran it over with all 6 of its tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998