Hallmark Build List - did I missing anything?

Camp JP

So I've been driving my wife crazy putting together a build list for our new Hallmark Everest (8.5) pop-up, but I knew you guys would still listen to me.

We've had a pop-up TC for 15 years - a 2000 Sunlite Eagle 7' and while its done great, I am ready to upgrade to a new rig that is 1) larger for 3 people 2) has a shower stall. For the next 5-6 or so years it will be a camper for long weekends/ fishing trips and about 2 1-week trips a year down the coast, to Yellowstone, etc. After retirement, when the kid is out of high school, we'll take much longer trips. Not hard core off the grid, but down fire roads or BLM dirt tracks for sure, as well as a lot of dry camping in state and national parks. Want to be able to drop the camper and spend a week or 2 in one place. The truck is a 2014 Ram 3500 short bed - no weight issues here.

After hours of looking at pics on the internet, visiting the factory last month, and emailing folks, we are going with the medium shower stall and a port-a-potty. I am convinced there is no perfect camper shower/potty combo, but this one has the least trade offs for us.

We are also going to have the back of the dinette (right side wall) built a little deeper to facilitate napping/ daughter sleeping while the dinette table is up. Our Sunlite was built like this with a deeper back cushion and we've found it to be very handy.

So with all that out of the way...

North/south bed
Nova Cool 2 way fridge
200w solar
cooktop w/ oven
elec jacks & power roof
rear storage boxes
Fiamma 4.5 awning

I'm still on the fence about a rear ladder and Yakima racks, but the subject of another thread. May do some other little stuff like a hi-lift jack mount, etc.

Like I said - my wife avoids me when I carry the option list around the house so appreciate any thoughts you might have!

brian90744

American Trekker
great want/need list

I think you got the list about right, drop the roof box and add duel coach batteries. And if you retire too late you may miss out on the best years of your life, Getting old is the worst plus ageing is for the birds. enjoy that rig at least once a month. all the best=brian

seeNik48

Adventurer
LED lights inside? Rear spotlights? USB outlets? Water filter?

As far as options, I wish we would have opted out of the oven, stereo and microwave. We just use the oven for storage, stereo cuts out when heater is on at times and we usually are off grid so never use microwave. We use iPod and a USB powered speaker.

Ditto on dual batteries.

brian90744

American Trekker
After looking up your model, I like the extra bunk bed ( if the kids take a friend) I have a cargo/flood LED rear light and a matching back-up light. A 12V outlet is nice. A double sink NO, And opted out of the oven, stereo. plus dinette must be over 74" to take a nap. A storage place for a 2K generater. just FYI =brian.

Last edited:
Very close to what we just got. We also got the oven and have used it a couple of times (hot chocolate chip cookies are hard to beat)

We went with the Super Manual lift and just use a screw gun to lift it, same with the manual jacks. Also did the external storage boxes, really glad I did, keep all the "truck" stuff in one and the Volcano grill, dirty stuff in the other.

So far no problems with the stereo system they put in standard, I'll probably add some exterior speakers to it so I don't have to deal with yet another device. It's bluetooth compatible so it connects to our phones and has a USB input for a thumb drive too.

We stayed with the standard Golf-cart batteries, so far haven't had any issues but then we haven't stayed in one place long enough to really put them to a test. We too have the 200w soft-solar panels, seems to work well.

I think the rear ladder is a useful addition, if you think you will ever get up on top for any reason, it makes life so much easier. Also makes a a good attachment point for misc camp items. Yakima racks are one of those things, if you don't have them you may regret it later, but you also may never use them. I'm fabbing up some J-Hooks I can attach to them so I can hang misc items, shower enclosure, etc.

We didn't do a side awning, went back and forth about it a bit and finally decided for us a cheapy portable canopy was more flexible and useful (but now how have to deal with packing and transporting). We did the Rear awning (Fiamma F35) but haven't used it yet. Being in the PNW, it will come in handy on those rare rainy days :).

We had power outlets added on each side of the N/S sleeping platform, figure I will get the USB plug ins so I can pull them out (they have a small phantom power usage all the time).

Did the shovel/axe, have used the shovel a couple of times now.

In any case, you'll love it, it'll just seem like forever to get it built.

JR

Something else you may consider, we opted to, is a gray water tank. Allows you to manage your sink water without having to carry a bucket, etc. Or having it run out through your campsite.

1stDeuce

Explorer
$1400 for solar panels!!! ??? Wow. That is a LOT of money!! I just put 240w of solar on my full time RV for about $350 total. You might consider a more DIY approach unless you really hate doing things yourself... Perhaps they could just run the 12v wires from the roof down, and you could add a panel and charge controller later. That would clean up the wiring some, but even if they don't, it's not a big deal to run wiring. (See my camper thread...)

Given that you're buying a pop top camper, I'm going to assume A/C is out, so be sure to order it with a Fan Tastic vent. Mine is above the stove, and it's perfect. In the evenings when it's still warm, we can turn it on and open the windows in the bed area and enjoy a nice breeze. :)

I also have a 10' Carefree awning on the side of mine, and we use it quite a bit more than I thought we would. (Sometimes it's just a garage for the motorcycles, but that counts, right?)

I don't have any sort of toilet in my camper, so no black or gray tanks, but a gray tank would be pretty cool. I run a hose from the sink drain to the ground to keep the splatter down anyway, and I drain it into a bucket when we stay in campgrounds.

I also added rear and awning-side LED flood lights to my camper, and we use them to light up camp occasionally. (They're to bright to leave on, just for setup/teardown.) They are pretty handy.

One option I don't see is low level LED lighting under the sides of the camper. That's my next mod. Not a lot of light, just enough to throw a little light on the ground for walking around a dark campsite. (Side LED Flood is WAY too bright for my taste)

For $75, I'd get a laddar. Skip the roof rack unless you have a boat you'd like to toss up there, but that's a lot of work... :)

I also added a TV at the foot of the bed. (Might not work for N/S bed.) Mostly because we winter camp, and in the summer we camp in the land of eternal fire bans. It's nice to occasionally retire inside and watch a movie where it's warm. Can swivel it for bed watching or watching from the dinette or while cooking. :)

I added a USB charge port down by the counter, and we use it ALL THE TIME. You can get one of the inserts, but then you have to keep track of it. I just put a bluesea USB port on a switch next to the 12v outlet, which we also use quite a bit.

I use a tiny 400w vector inverter if we HAVE to have 120v, but that's not very often anymore, since everything we take camping charges off USB, or runs on the 12v outlet.

Two normal batts should be PLENTY. Especially with 200w of solar! I have one Group 31, and one 85w panel, and it's fine for heater/lights/tv/charging stuff... I can't see EVER having a problem with even just one 120w panel and one group 31 or two 27's.

Have fun with your new camper!! The hallmark guys are great to work with!!
Chris

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Oh, and if it doesn't come with overhead cabinets on both sides, get them. My camper only has the cabinet above the sink, and the opposite side could use one too. We routinely have our cabinets filled, and I don't have a water heater...

1stDeuce

Explorer
Oh, I was looking at the wrong camper... Everest has a casette toilet and storage above/behind it. Very nice!! That being the case, if you are opting for a hot water heater, then get the outside shower to make life a LOT easier!! :) You can always add a shower enclosure to the outside if you're shy, but rigging a shower from something else sucks. I kinda wish I had a hot water heater and outside shower, even though I'd loose a storage cabinet. :)

brian90744

American Trekker
Harbor freight kit max is 45 Watts, Check out EBay=cheap and more watts. I brought a 100 watt that fold in half. Just my FYI=brian

COBlue

Did you order it yet?
Based on my experience I like your build list for a 3500 truck where weight won't be an issue.
I would skip the oven unless you know you'll use it.
I would get the roof ladder and rack tracks since you have the power roof, but remember that things on the roof cast shadows on the solar. I would expect 200w and two 6v would work with the Novacool.
Don't get a hatch in the roof- you can get up there with the ladder and avoid issues with the hatch.

mudmony

Observer
Most likely late, but please address their camper to truck mounting system, love everything thing about my (2nd owner Hallmark) but there tie down system needs work

Camp JP

Yep - I guess I'm a little tardy updating this. We have one on order - pickup scheduled for July. The folks at Hallmark were so easy to work with and helped me figure out a few custom tweaks to fit our exact needs. I've got the tork-lift frame tiedowns on my truck already, and a set of fast guns from my last camper, so I think I'm good to go on tiedowns. I'll make sure I post a bunch of pics when I get it.

mudmony

Observer
More specifically, not the external system, but the points of attachment integral to the camper. They may have made changes since 2010 but
their system then, was not designed for anything but highway use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179