HAM Go Box

wig

Nice setup.thats a good way to save money on multiple setups.you can use it in the house or move it to different trucks.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I used a musicians rack to mount my portable HF station in.
2009-09-05161721.jpg

and use a bag of military fiberglass poles for the antennas mounts.
2009-09-05183632.jpg

Hawk62cj5

Mine, a water proof box , 2 12ah batterys , powergate charger and switch , 23 amp power supply and designed to mount a 857 and 2800 .... I still do not own a 857.

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

SAR Jeepster

Observer
This is a TM-D700A I put in a pelican case for our Search & Rescue Team. It has a power supply and battery. The face plate has connections for 110V, 12V in & out, Microphone, PC, GPS, Headphones and fuses.

picture.php

xtatik

Explorer
Mine, a water proof box , 2 12ah batterys , powergate charger and switch , 23 amp power supply and designed to mount a 857 and 2800 .... I still do not own a 857.

Well, maybe no 857. But, from the picture, it's apparent you own a 450. It's a much better radio for portable use. Much better filtration (true IF DSP) with a roofing filter and a more sensitive front end overall. All this, and it has the same power consumption of the 857. Unless your strictly talking about adding the 857 as a mobile, if so, I'd say go for it. But, hang on to the 450, it's twice the radio when compared to the 857.

cjs

Banned
This is a TM-D700A I put in a pelican case for our Search & Rescue Team. It has a power supply and battery. The face plate has connections for 110V, 12V in & out, Microphone, PC, GPS, Headphones and fuses.

picture.php

This is the first decent Pelican-mounted radio in this thread. I like the cleanliness of your insert; everything looks well-organized. I also like that you didn't drill holes in your case for your external connections. I really don't understand why people do that. What's the point of using a Pelican to keep things dry if you're going to drill a bunch of holes and do a hack-job with non-waterproof bulkhead connectors? Keep everything dry inside and open the box up when you need it.

KE5QVT

Observer
This is the first decent Pelican-mounted radio in this thread. I like the cleanliness of your insert; everything looks well-organized. I also like that you didn't drill holes in your case for your external connections. I really don't understand why people do that. What's the point of using a Pelican to keep things dry if you're going to drill a bunch of holes and do a hack-job with non-waterproof bulkhead connectors? Keep everything dry inside and open the box up when you need it.

First to SARJeepster
Great job on the box, outstanding layout and a lot of thought going into it. Hats off to you!

CJS, dang....quite the bashing you laid out to everyone. as for my box, yes it has bulkhead connectors, but I will say, My box IS water tight. I used o-rings on all of the fittings, and had it in operation in the driving rain. I just closed up the box and left it connected. Unless you plan on going diving to 2 ATM's the use of a pelican box even with holes, if laid out and planned it will work. I have even dropped "by accident" mine into the lake when it slid off the cabin of my boat. IT IS WATER TIGHT!

ease off a bit on the bashing, people are just posting up ideas, so others can take the good points and come up with something of their own.

respectfully......

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey Tom, why did you drill holes in that Pelican case? ********! Sorry, had to ask,

My concern is heat during operation insideany box. My Ic 706 has a nice little fan to move the air and instructions said use in a ventilated area, don't block the air flow.

I have been wanting to use a box as well, but a rack maybe that slides out of the box for operations. It would need to come out, but just slide out enough to allow air flow....just thinking here.

I was thinking of using an old Army Food container (they had three small buckets in them to serve chow out of) They have a sealed top, probably close to 18 inches wide, 10 inches deep and about 22/24 inches tall with the lid on the top.

I was thinking the radio, tuner and whatever would mount on a plate or board with small side panels and a front. Like a drawer upsoide down. Eq. mounted on top and wire/coax to connectors underneath and connect to the front panel.. Open it with it laying on its front side, slide out the "rack" hook up connections to the front panel and go with it.

The way you put those rigs inside your Pelicans really looks good, but won't that get hot and wear on the rigs?:coffee:

KE5QVT

Observer
Hey Tom, why did you drill holes in that Pelican case? ********! Sorry, had to ask,

My concern is heat during operation insideany box. My Ic 706 has a nice little fan to move the air and instructions said use in a ventilated area, don't block the air flow.

I have been wanting to use a box as well, but a rack maybe that slides out of the box for operations. It would need to come out, but just slide out enough to allow air flow....just thinking here.

I was thinking of using an old Army Food container (they had three small buckets in them to serve chow out of) They have a sealed top, probably close to 18 inches wide, 10 inches deep and about 22/24 inches tall with the lid on the top.

I was thinking the radio, tuner and whatever would mount on a plate or board with small side panels and a front. Like a drawer upsoide down. Eq. mounted on top and wire/coax to connectors underneath and connect to the front panel.. Open it with it laying on its front side, slide out the "rack" hook up connections to the front panel and go with it.

The way you put those rigs inside your Pelicans really looks good, but won't that get hot and wear on the rigs?:coffee:

THat sounds like a great idea... As for the holes, it was the 1st gen and try at making a box. I had a wooden box for my radios but really didnt like the bulk, look or inclimate weather ability of the box. I already had the pelican and was looking at ways to do the antenna hookups. Looking back, I would have made a jumper cable to a strip at the top for the jacks or like you have in mind a small pull out.

I like the idea of having a pull out tray with the gear and then push it back in after Im done. I really like the briefcase style setup that the SAR guy has and if I didnt have to buy another box would go that route.

As for heating, I have not found that to be an issue yet..... and as a response to my bash... It has been found to be water tight. My son dropped into the water transferring it to a boat and the o-rings are holding and keeping it tight. I would however do it like the other box or your idea if I had it all over again.

Thanks for the comments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman