ham radio group buy ?

EDIT: 12/31/08 as of today I will not be persueing this group buy. good luck to everyone who can get a great deal where they can. post up your best prices, there are others out there who are looking.

has anybody ever tried to do a group buy for a ham radio? I will try to start the process with some local vendors, is there any interest?

I would be looking to buy the Yaesu VX-7 or VX-8.

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Yaesu has an instant rebate program going on right now. There is a $40 instant coupon on the VX-7 right now until January of '09.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've got a line on a mobile unit already, but I might be interested in a Yaesu HT if the price made it worth it.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
When did you pass your exam?

Oh, now you're testing my memory. I got my license back in 1995. And currently I have a General Class ticket from back when there was a morse code requirement of 13 wpm.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Otto Von Squiggy said:
has anybody ever tried to do a group buy for a ham radio? I will try to start the process with some local vendors, is there any interest?
I would be looking to buy the Yaesu VX-7 or VX-8.

I think you will find profit is so tight on most radio's that unless your looking at 20+ units your not going to get much if any price break.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
gary in ohio said:
I think you will find profit is so tight on most radio's that unless your looking at 20+ units your not going to get much if any price break.

He's outfitting a expedition convoy! :p

gary in ohio

Explorer
tdesanto said:
Well, if the group buy doesn't work out, Universal Radio has a pretty good price:

Ill second Universal as a good place to buy. I would suggest checking all the main vendors before picking a final option.

I stop into Universal a couple of times a month during my lunch just to look at the toys and play with the demo radios.. Still waiting for the icom 7200 demo to arrive and be setup.

as of 11/20/08 I talked to Texas Towers and they said that they were as low as they could get them now. they also had somthing like 40+ VX-7's on hand ready to ship.
one of their sales associates said that the VX-8 isnt even in the country yet. can anybody confirm this?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Otto Von Squiggy said:
as of 11/20/08 I talked to Texas Towers and they said that they were as low as they could get them now. they also had somthing like 40+ VX-7's on hand ready to ship.
one of their sales associates said that the VX-8 isnt even in the country yet. can anybody confirm this?

How low did they go?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Otto Von Squiggy said:
the website says 289$ http://www.texastowers.com/vx7r.htm
the owner was very nice but said that this was the lowest he could go. no exceptions.

Brandon,

Unless you want to buy it locally, get it from Universal. I bought most of my equipment from Texas Towers, and after dealing with Universal on a few items, I plan to do all my business with them. They just have better service and the prices are about the same.

Have you given any further thought to getting a mobile radio first before getting an HT?

gary in ohio

Explorer
Otto Von Squiggy said:
the website says 289$ http://www.texastowers.com/vx7r.htm
the owner was very nice but said that this was the lowest he could go. no exceptions.

Universal has the vx7 for $285 or 284 depending on color.

So depending on shipping/taxes Texastowers or universial may be a good option. I like Universal but its local and sometimes taxes kills deals.

Steve has greatly improved the universal presence and service level on the web. They have always had a nice web site but service lack for a number of years. Much better today. For ham gear they very competitive for SWL gear they are very good. In fact they sell more SW gear than ham. Fred, the Owner, while a ham is known more in SWL DX circles than for his ham radio activities.

Gary

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I would think you might get more interest in a a group buy if you geared it more toward the new HAM user and found a HT that is lower in price. Something like the Yaesu VX-170 or the Icom V8. Both are rugged and user friendly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior