HAMBO build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
I got an ARB twin, will just need to "T" a line to the seat. Still need to figure if I need constant pressure or not. If i do i may have to rethink the air supply. Might need to add a tank? A quick visit to Kenworth dealer should point me to the right direction.

Currently working on framing; 3/4" wood spacers glued and screwed (stainless) to each interior studs for extra insulation and to combat condensation. Also makes it easier to install the interior walls.

Cheers!
David

900a22df4447b647189bfd3dac38d6d8.jpg

542c44163c4d1409f311220923f7f8ce.jpg

Last edited:

berimbozo

I'm gonna roll it with Marine Urethane. The paint is super durable and fairly cheap. Not sure about the color yet but Subaru has some nice color options!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Where did you end up buying the paint from? I'm going to need to paint mine eventually but I'd like to do a "lane way" job like you did and save some money!

Abitibi

Explorer
Where did you end up buying the paint from? I'm going to need to paint mine eventually but I'd like to do a "lane way" job like you did and save some money!
I bought it from Cloverdale Paint store, not sure if they have it in the states or outside BC?

Abitibi

Explorer
Next step will be to think about insulation. I have a few options in mind...

1) leave it as is (easiest but less desirable)
2) replace fiberglass wool with rigid 2" foam (as I did in my previous ambo, a bit pricey)
3) replace with Roxul (isn't too expensive and fairly easy. Great for sound but not as good as rigid foam if leak occurs)
4) spay it with closed cell foam, house style. (Need to spray thin layers to avoid warping. Great for vapor barrier, extra rigidity, good sealant but pricey)

I also now have an extra 3/4" of space that I can fill with insulation or keep as an air gap.

Thoughts?

Abitibi

Explorer
Well, I guess there's no thoughts on insulation options so let's carry on!

Today was a fun day. Awning day!

- built new taller aluminum brackets to replace the steel one provided with the awning then painted them.

- lined up the brackets to maximize strength against interior studs and pre-drill everything.

- installed Rivnuts (9 total)

- got that puppy mounted!

Send pretty simple but took me a while to decide of exact location and bracket style. As is, i can open/access it by opening the side window and from the side door, real easy!

Installing an awning is always a challenge with tall vehicle... but I think I nailed this one! :D

Cheers
David
c22c3715c942acceeeb66525733b8091.jpg
f88144b5f542ea8330a9c8c39a56e938.jpg
7ef5a5059d7e47d8ac426770bfd109ce.jpg
8c888968fa58fe1fc67ced270fdd460f.jpg
0842a95800339a9e6ef37808659cc5bd.jpg
c373322e8e61d9eb6ba62977ff349f8d.jpg
1b583c66bec399b26ad91a6ac7ee1c45.jpg

Betarocker

Adventurer
Spray foam will offer the best R-value, and with it being applied directly to the body, it will prevent space for moist air to condense. Roxul will dry out and if it ever gets wet and not deteriorate. Can do a splash and batt blend; Spray against the body and fill the rest with Roxul.

Project is looking good.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to seeing your rig in person one of these days. Not enough time this trip... perhaps one day if life settles down a bit.

Abitibi

Explorer
My buddy has the identical ambo box as mine with the same insulation process I'm doing (3/4" spacers on the beams with 3/4" cedar boards on top). He kept the original insulation and didn't add anything else so he ended up with 2" of fb insulation, 3/4" air gap, 3/4" cedar.

We just fired up his airtronic yesterday and we had to turn it way down, the insulation felt awesome. Once winter settles in we'll be able to give it a real test but so far it's working great! So I don't feel too bad keeping the original insulation but my #1 choice would be a thin layer of spray topped up with a 2" layer of Roxul.

Here's some pictures showing some details on his ambo which will be very similar to mine.

db8e5c4a681464534280187d3c909266.jpg

1a7062ff1920ebeff7f653828f4a0ecc.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
What awnings are those?

Mike

The small one is a Dometic electric awning meant to cover the side door of large RVs. The larger side one is the Nomadic 180 from OVS (Overland Vehicle System),

FDM2012

Adventurer
I went at it again today, this time with more of a green tint and I'm stoked with the result! Really happy with the new color. I'll still need one more coat, not really necessary but there were a few thin spots here and there and I ran out of paint for the roof so the seals, trims and rear windows will have to wait before going back! In the last picture you can see the actual difference in color from the previous failed attempt...

I also committed myself to build a custom poptop since I ordered the fabric. I'll be building pretty much everything on my own this time instead of retrofitting a RTT like I did on my previous ambo. It might not be as roomy as the first one but it will do the trick :)

Cheers!

View attachment 586018

View attachment 586019

View attachment 586017

Hey David,

I am thinking of doing this sooner than later.....

My box is full size, so I am guessing I should get 5 gallons?

I'm guessing you used a sander to do all of the major surface areas? Remember what grits?

And, are you still happy with the Marine Enamel?

Any lessons learned?

And yes, I have 4 of the drill use decal removers ordered....

Thx,

Eric

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi Eric

Still very happy with the paint! My friend did the same on his bus and after 3yrs and decent abuse it's still looking great.

5 gallons sounds like a lot, I've basically only used 2.5 for mine.

As for sanding I used an orbital sander with mostly 180 grit to remove the gloss or clearcoat but at the end I went to 80grit to "scratch" the original paint so the new paint could grab... also, I used a 15mm roller (medium to long hair) to give more of a bedliner finish.

Hope this help!

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle