hand winch recommendations

92se-r

Thanks for the suggestions. I had searched and found some options, but the posts were a few years old. I was hoping some new products had come out. Looks like I'll be getting a Wyeth Scott one.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Black Rat is pretty effective.

One thing to consider, is that hand winching is extremely dangerous when solo, as there is not an operator in the vehicle should it start to roll, etc.

AFSOC

Explorer
I am fairly sure I understand your interest in hand winches. I once had a desire to have a hand winch over a bumper mounted electric. The flexibility of using it on any recovery point and any rig is appealing. I analyzed electric winches and it looked like a nearly endless opportunity to spend money, bumper, dual batteries, pull-pal etc. And then….I used a hand winch, a tifor. Geez! Very physical and very time consuming. I dislike handling and managing the cable in wet sand, mud and grit. I hadn’t anticipated that you still need (expense) all the proper rigging required for electric winches.

I don’t mean to trash hand winches or dissuade you if you are bent on getting one. They do work; they’re just not for me. I feel fortunate I was able to try one before shelling out the coin for a good one and required rigging accessories. When I added it all up it wouldn’t have saved me all that much over my M8000 and I am much happier with it. I also like the control of an electric.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One thing to consider, is that hand winching is extremely dangerous when solo, as there is not an operator in the vehicle should it start to roll, etc.
Yup, that's why surveying the situation and rigging some limiting straps/ropes is always a good idea. ;)

edit: to delete response to comment that wasn't directed to me (got the threads mixed up)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears