Handheld CB?

JKU87

Adventurer
Hey guys,

A CB is on my list and I've been doing some research. Have any of you had good experience with a handheld unit? Just curious as to how they operate compared to a standard one. Thanks for the help!

4x4junkie

Explorer
Two words: They suck.

Unfortunately it's a direct consequence of the rather long 11-meter wavelength of the 27 MHz radio frequency band CB uses, small rubber ducky-type antennas act much more like resistors than antennas at this frequency (wavelength). Combine this with the fact being inside the metal vehicle body is like being inside a faraday cage at said wavelength.

Small handheld CBs (also to include units like the Cobra 75) tend to have dismal transmission quality too (muffled audio), probably due to trying to cram all the parts into such a small form factor (the audio transformer probably being the component that suffers the most from being downsized to fit).

I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Uniden PRO-510XL or 520XL radios. These are not only cheaper than most handhelds, but also have the quality and performance of much bigger units like a Cobra 148 (sans the 148's SSB mode and many of it's features of course). They are quite compact, making them an easy fit in a majority of vehicles. With a magnet-mount antenna and a cigarette-lighter connection, they can be portable as well in that you can easily move it from one vehicle to another (or remove it altogether when you aren't using it).
Of course hard-mounting it (and the antenna) tends to provide the best performance (cig-lighter sockets aren't always the best source of power).

Last edited:

wirenut

Adventurer
A handheld CB with a rubber duck antenna could probably be tossed farther than it would transmit. If it has a connection for an external antenna that would make a lot of difference. Connecting a full power hand held to a good antenna should in theory be the equivalent of a CB mounted to the vehicle. Especially if you were also using a cigarette lighter power cord. However, at that point, why bother having a handheld with all the dangling wires.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
A differing opinion. They have their place but they're not the best solution to comms.

For performance, they're easy to beat. If you're running off internal batteries, they tend to deplete them rather quickly.

If the concern is leaving the CB installed at all times, most mobile units can be removed with two thumbscrews, unplugging the power and disconnecting the antenna which is relatively simple leaving the bracket, power and antenna installed.

Range is limited especially with the rubber antenna but an external antenna connection overcomes that. For East Coast wheeling, groups tend to be less spread out so the range is less an issue.

I generally keep at least one in the truck and use it as a backup or hand it off for someone riding along who doesn't have any comms. They are also handy when someone is walking to check out whether we can go this way.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Handy for handing to someone but thats exactly why I don't have mine anymore. They do work better from outside the cab. Don't expect too much though.

rokclimbertx

Used one with great success. Simply added an external antenna, ran the cable into the cab, took off the rubber antenna and plugged the handheld in.

When not in use the cable was coiled under the passenger floor mat.

So the answer is yes it will work.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

samer0214

Checkout the Midland 75-822 handheld. Midland calls it dual purpose, as it can be used with disposable batteries and a rubber ducky antenna, as well as in the rig, powered via the cigarette lighter and an external antenna. Don't expect HAM radio performance as was mentioned above, but will still do the job within the limitations of all CB radios.

Used as intended for limited range, you'll be happy with it. I have one setup in my rig, along with a fixed HAM setup. Keep in mind that you'll need 2 antennas though if you decided to go that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
If the handheld is 1 or 2 Watts or better, and you use an external antenna like a mag mount on a vehicle, it probably wouldn't be much worse than a regular CB. Before I had a ham ticket and before hand-held cell phones existed, I carried one as a spare in my truck.

With a 6" rubber duck antenna, it's going to be lousy compared to an external antenna. It would probably talk farther than you could throw it, but I bet it wouldn't talk as far as you could be heard with a good whistle, like a marine survival whistle. Not joking. But if you're in a group where you only need to talk a hundred yards or so, in line of sight, it should be fine.

whatevah

Observer
I used that Midland 75-822 radio a few years ago for a club trail ride right after I bought my current Jeep. Using the rubber duck antenna, I couldn't get past 100 yards (actually, I'm guessing less than 100 feet) so took it back the next day. In the past, I've used Cobra handhelds with a magnet mount antenna on a car roof or trunk with pretty good results. You can find the adapter pretty easily for the BNC connector on the radio and the standard UHF connector for the antenna. Just make sure that the magnet is clean otherwise you'll tear up the paint.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Checkout the Midland 75-822 handheld. Midland calls it dual purpose, as it can be used with disposable batteries and a rubber ducky antenna, as well as in the rig, powered via the cigarette lighter and an external antenna. Don't expect HAM radio performance as was mentioned above, but will still do the job within the limitations of all CB radios.

Used as intended for limited range, you'll be happy with it. I have one setup in my rig, along with a fixed HAM setup. Keep in mind that you'll need 2 antennas though if you decided to go that way.

Astrocampingmods007.jpg

I bought mine to transfer between different vehicles. The little rubber antenna is useless. The mounted antenna or Big magnetic antennas work great. No complaints in the seven years I've used it.

The first transmission was the leader, 7 trucks ahead of me. I'm at least a mile from the campsite they're talking about, if not more.

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

Adventurer
I keep one in the back... perfect for handing to your spotter

I have had about half a mile with out line of site before but I haven't tested it from much further but even at that range my midland was clear... not crystal but still

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

+1 on this. I've been using the exact same unit since 2007 and have seen no reason to "upgrade." Use it with a 12v power source and a mag mount antenna and it will work fine as a trail radio for communication with other vehicles. When we were on White Rim in 2012 I was at Potato Bottom and the guys on the other side of Hardscrabble hill at Labyrinth (~2 - 3 miles away across a big rock formation) could hear me just fine. As far as I'm concerned, 1 - 2 miles is as far as a CB needs to reach, anything beyond that and HAM is a better tool.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
+1 on this. I've been using the exact same unit since 2007 and have seen no reason to "upgrade." Use it with a 12v power source and a mag mount antenna and it will work fine as a trail radio for communication with other vehicles. When we were on White Rim in 2012 I was at Potato Bottom and the guys on the other side of Hardscrabble hill at Labyrinth (~2 - 3 miles away across a big rock formation) could hear me just fine. As far as I'm concerned, 1 - 2 miles is as far as a CB needs to reach, anything beyond that and HAM is a better tool.

Completely agree on this radio WITH an external antenna. We well a ton of these even with a Lil Wil as a combo package. I think the audio on air is way better than the Cobra 75.

anickode

Adventurer
I have a cobra 38 handheld. It's mediocre at best... until I ********** a BNC to PL-259 adapter on it and attach a Wilson 1000 mag mount. Then it competes with most any stock radio/mag mount combination. Cobra claims a full 4 Watt output from it. It's a little bulky, but it's a fine spotter radio/backup. The antenna is removable so it packs away pretty Well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman