Handmade Leather Boots for Overlanding / Hiking / Etc.?

jaymar

Wondering what's out there, with comfort and extreme durability being top priorities. Everything I'm seeing in the high-end boot market is basically a work boot or a fire boot; they may call them wildland or forestry boots, but whatever--they don't seem intended for overlanding, hiking and the like, I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for this--and it costs a lot to find out. Basically looking for all-terrain boots, or as close as I can get. So...

Anyone been down this road already?

Last edited:

VanWaLife

A lot of people like Danner. Their high end boots are handmade in Portland, and are fully re-craftable. If you drop them off in person for a recraft you will be treated to their master crafter giving you a look of disdain for treating his masterpiece poorly. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...n-on-going-review.124017/page-10#post-2888783

I love my Danner's, but boots just don't last a lifetime. I've noticed a few hard-core hikers swearing by La Sportiva. More of a disposable thing, but I'll probably try a pair soon

perterra

Adventurer
Wondering what's out there, with comfort and extreme durability being top priorities. Everything I'm seeing in the high-end boot market is basically a work boot or a fire boot; they may call them wildland or forestry boots, but whatever--they don't seem intended for overlanding, hiking and the like, I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for this--and it costs a lot to find out. So...

Anyone been down this road already?

I dont have a clue what an overland boot is. I know people who hike in New Balance 990's, Teva sandals and "work boots". For what its worth, I have not found extreme durability and comfort to go together. They meld pretty well when you are 30, less so at 60, but to say extremes of either durability or comfort, not so much.

A lot of caveats in the custom/handmade boot world. Take your age in to consideration, at some point between 55 to 65 you are likely going to change sizes. So your $500 boots may no longer fit. Hiking in an area of open sand will be different than side hilling all day will be different from an area covered in cactus.

These days I am in Hoka Kaha's or Merrell MOAB side zips, would not trade them for a pair of $1000 hand made boots.

Nobody will be able to tell you what works for you but you, and learning could be costly. I wore Danner TFX hot weather boots for about 5 years, no complaints, wore Danner hikers in the cooler seasons, worn Vasque for years, had a pair of original Skywalks back in the early 80's, extremely comfortable

jaymar

I dont have a clue what an overland boot is. I know people who hike in New Balance 990's, Teva sandals and "work boots". For what its worth, I have not found extreme durability and comfort to go together. They meld pretty well when you are 30, less so at 60, but to say extremes of either durability or comfort, not so much.

A lot of caveats in the custom/handmade boot world. Take your age in to consideration, at some point between 55 to 65 you are likely going to change sizes. So your $500 boots may no longer fit. Hiking in an area of open sand will be different than side hilling all day will be different from an area covered in cactus.

These days I am in Hoka Kaha's or Merrell MOAB side zips, would not trade them for a pair of $1000 hand made boots.

Nobody will be able to tell you what works for you but you, and learning could be costly. I wore Danner TFX hot weather boots for about 5 years, no complaints, wore Danner hikers in the cooler seasons, worn Vasque for years, had a pair of original Skywalks back in the early 80's, extremely comfortable
Ideally something that's comfy to drive with but also good for rocks, forest etc. The synthetic stuff wears out, while leather can go for decades with rebuilt soles. Looking into options. Haven't seen $1k boots yet; more like $400-$700. Seem to be having somewhat more success searching HUNTING BOOTS than outdoor or hiking boots.

jaymar

A lot of people like Danner. Their high end boots are handmade in Portland, and are fully re-craftable. If you drop them off in person for a recraft you will be treated to their master crafter giving you a look of disdain for treating his masterpiece poorly. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...n-on-going-review.124017/page-10#post-2888783

I love my Danner's, but boots just don't last a lifetime. I've noticed a few hard-core hikers swearing by La Sportiva. More of a disposable thing, but I'll probably try a pair soon
Checking them out!

perterra

Adventurer
Ideally something that's comfy to drive with but also good for rocks, forest etc. The synthetic stuff wears out, while leather can go for decades with rebuilt soles. Looking into options. Haven't seen $1k boots yet; more like $400-$700. Seem to be having somewhat more success searching HUNTING BOOTS than outdoor or hiking boots.

To clarify, hunting boots are outdoor boots. And mountain hunting boots like the Russell Sheep Hunters will likely be as tough and offer as much ankle support as any boot you could ever find. By the way, not arguing, just pointing out there are a lot of variables

jaymar

To clarify, hunting boots are outdoor boots. And mountain hunting boots like the Russell Sheep Hunters will likely be as tough and offer as much ankle support as any boot you could ever find. By the way, not arguing, just pointing out there are a lot of variables
Been looking at Russell, nice stuff.

jadmt

ignore button user
White boot company in Spokane make some incredibly nice boots. I have several pairs of Danner usa made boots but they are not in the same league as the Whites. I have had two pairs and they are lifetime boots. I had a pair of white packers but strangely enough my foot size changed lol so I sold them but I have a pair of hikers that are getting close to 20 years old and have been resoled several times and still going strong.

perterra

Adventurer
Been looking at Russell, nice stuff.

They are great boots, i bought a pair of the double bottom double vamp Zephyrs about 20 years ago. Resoled 3 times, look just about like they did when they were new. Hell of a boot, heavy, but a great lasting boot. The caveat, my feet changed, nothing I wore 20 years ago is comfortable now. These days, 4 pair of Hokas and a pair of Merrell side zips.

jadmt

ignore button user
Danner.

There was a time when we got boots to test. In the end Danner Acadias always won. I've only worn them since and still have some that are 25 years old with original soles. Danner Quarrys are my everyday living in the mountains boot now.
I have had several pairs of Acadias (required duty wear for years) and they are a not in the same league comfort or quality wise compared to Whites. Not that they are not a great boot just not as good as Whites.

jaymar

White boot company in Spokane make some incredibly nice boots. I have several pairs of Danner usa made boots but they are not in the same league as the Whites. I have had two pairs and they are lifetime boots. I had a pair of white packers but strangely enough my foot size changed lol so I sold them but I have a pair of hikers that are getting close to 20 years old and have been resoled several times and still going strong.

They're on my list. Read somewhere that they were sold a while back, hopefully all the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior