Hang Glider Rack: Adding 3 to 6 Receiver Hitches? or a heavy bumper?

Cadmus

Long time reader, first time poster.

I got a low mileage 2004 tacoma 4door TRD offroad late last year.
I have to carry the following:
1-Hang gliders or at least 1 long pvc tube that holds a hang glider
2-20’ sticks of metal(for welding. not adventures)
3-lumber
4-Whitewater rafts.
These require a very solid bar mounted to the front, level with my thule roof rack.
Because I will have either a minimalist camper (may or may not be pop up) or a soft topper or something else in the bed, I need to make a similar bar above the rear bumper that clears whatever I end up putting back there. (I know mounting to the bed is wise, just not compatible with my goals) I don’t want to leave this rack up all the time. So I was going to use receiver hitches to make the front and rear racks go on and off easy. I am all ears if other people have slicker ways to attach them.

I frequently use my tow hitch to tow. I want to have a front and rear hitch receiver for a winch and bike rack. (I have had work trucks with a front winch and some with receiver mounted winch. I used it in the rear way more than the front)

Bumper Planning Cropped IMGP3253_H_noplate.jpg

I will need a front hitch at A or B and welding 2 additional receiver tubes at D or E for the glider rack. But in vehicles I owned in the past having the glider rack tie into a location like F or G was FAR superior. More stable and way stronger. Less light glare at night. Fewer vibrations slowly eroding holes in your glider. I had a hard time devising a bracing system for F or G for the taco. Receiver hitches at C (and welding some of these to H) are the only thing I could find online and it is going to ruin my approach angle.

I have rattled around many ideas over the last year. Some welding braces inside the OEM bumper some replacing both bumpers with big heavy steel ones. If anyone has a suggestions or ideas please post them.

Thanks in advance for the help and all opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78