Hanging two hammocks from custom truck mounts, help me think this design through!

peripatew

Greetings!

First post here, so please forgive my noobishness. I'm working on setting up a 2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD 4x4 for some Overlanding here in Cambodia. I've made a few trips out and about already, and so far I've had a difficult time finding good hanging locations for our two hammocks and tarps. The jungle/woods need to be cleared by hand a lot to make room, and usually I don't have the time to do this... nor do I really want to impact the local environment in such a way. I like leaving no trace whenever possible. So, I'm trying to think of the best way to allow me to hang two hammocks just from the truck itself. I've hung between multiple roof racks before, and between the truck and a single pole/tree, but would prefer to have the option to be self supported when needed.

I came across this post on Hammock Forums which got me thinking about this idea.
camping_by_a_lake_in_romania.jpg

roof_rack.jpg

I'd like some feedback on this as an idea. I can get the roof rack/mount and hitch mount made very inexpensively here in Cambodia, so I figure it is worth a shot. I'm concerned about how to best mount this to the roof, and the impact it will have on the integrity of the roof and the mount itself. The post on hammock forum talked about some stress fracturing at the base of the mounts... but they also mentioned DRIVING with people in the hammocks... which I won't be doing. :D

So here are some doodles about what I'm thinking:
IMG_3998.jpg
This image shows a roof rack with a special hollow crossbar to allow metal poles to be inserted to create the front points for the suspension to hang from. Similar to the above idea, but I thought this design would be much simpler by having it straight across the truck. For the rear suspension points, I'd use a "T bar" in the hitch (pictured below). I'm estimating that this will give me around 12+" of distance between the suspension points.

IMG_3999.jpg
The same setup, but with the "X" roof mount configuration. This would give me much more distance between suspension mounting points, but to me, it looks like this design could potentionally put more stress on the roof rack mounts? I'm definitely not an engineer, which is why I'm posting for feedback. This should give at least 15+" between suspension points.

IMG_4001.jpg
This shows what I was thinking for the rear hitch mount. I thought having the rear pole resting on the ground would add stability. The vertical section can slide freely in the short horizontal section mounted to the hitch.

IMG_4002.jpg
This shows the "T" shape better than the previous image. It would be easy to add some rope/wire supports to minimize movement and spread the load.

IMG_4004.jpg
And this is what I'm thinking for providing rain coverage. Custom tarps are really inexpensive here. I have some silnylon tarps for my hammocks, but I don't think they would work well with this setup, as I want to keep the suspension points as close to the truck as possible to minimize the force of leverage on the mounting points. I'd have some vertical pole pockets added to the roof rack and rear T hitch to help elevate the ridgeline of the tarp. I'd create some simple adjustable poles for the tarps corners.

Here is a similar type idea for the rear hitch:
DSCF4313.jpg

Questions:
Would this work? I'm most concerned with a proper design of the roof rack and mounting it, before I post on Hammock Forums asking for some advice at calculating the proper distances for the suspension for a proper hang.

An alternate option would be to install a front hitch mount (which I'm wanting to do anyways for a multi-mount winch). This would be a bit simpler, and have less potential to mess up stuff with the roof. But, I'm going to have a custom roof rack/carrier built anyways. Using a the front and rear hitch would give me 17-18" of suspension distance.

Abandoning this idea, I could us some hammock tripods that I could use to hang from. This would require a larger overall camp footprint though. But would perhaps be lighter and easier to pack in the back of the truck. That idea is far less appealing to me though, but would give me greater flexibility in hammock locations. I see pros and cons of being rather close to the truck.

I have a motorized bed cover for my truck, which will be loaded with gear and supplies so I don't want to figure out a sleeping method for there. I'd LOVE a roof top tent, but I don't have the funds to import one sadly. For all the materials and fabrication of the rack, hitch mount, and tarp, I should be under $150.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to provide more clarity!

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

Edited to add some pictures of my truck from a recent trip
11754832_10206840190710705_8179478935045289741_o.jpg
11779783_868237249919505_4601804723673477230_o.jpg

And here is a video of what the road was like to the village we traveled too:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
In venezuela hammocks are popular in most areas, the indians still make and sell them, only using modern materials

A couple of trucks at the fun race events always used to sleep by their truck in hammocks,

being that the trucks were lifted they had a horizontal bar that slid out from the top of the front bull bar and another from the rear tire carrier,

the hammock was only a few inches off of the ground, but was correctly swooped, he then just had a tarp from the gutter tied out to one side with a couple of pegs

peripatew

In venezuela hammocks are popular in most areas, the indians still make and sell them, only using modern materials

A couple of trucks at the fun race events always used to sleep by their truck in hammocks,

being that the trucks were lifted they had a horizontal bar that slid out from the top of the front bull bar and another from the rear tire carrier,

the hammock was only a few inches off of the ground, but was correctly swooped, he then just had a tarp from the gutter tied out to one side with a couple of pegs

Awesome. Any pics by chance?

Got Beer

Observer
Saw this picture in a trip report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/138140-Boise-to-Baja-in-a-60-Series-Land-Cruiser

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/jasondginn/media/Baja 1-15-2015/IMG_2905.jpg.html

Clean set up. Inspired me to do the same; I just haven't built it yet. He used 1.75 DOM tube for the recovers to slide 1.5 DOM tube poles into. Make an eyelet at the top to hang the hammock from. My design considerations include being able to open the vehicle door while the hammock is deployed, because I always forget something and need to open the truck. I plan on setting it up so a hammock can be hung on both sides of the truck.

peripatew

Saw this picture in a trip report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/138140-Boise-to-Baja-in-a-60-Series-Land-Cruiser

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/jasondginn/media/Baja 1-15-2015/IMG_2905.jpg.html

Clean set up. Inspired me to do the same; I just haven't built it yet. He used 1.75 DOM tube for the recovers to slide 1.5 DOM tube poles into. Make an eyelet at the top to hang the hammock from. My design considerations include being able to open the vehicle door while the hammock is deployed, because I always forget something and need to open the truck. I plan on setting it up so a hammock can be hung on both sides of the truck.

This. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! New bumpers are on my list, and this seems much easier than my plans. On my Tacoma they would be about 15-16' apart, at 6' high, I wonder how the hang angle would be?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Unless you are dead set on having something attached to your truck just for the gee whiz factor, there are easier and most likely lighter solutions. Check out hammockforums.net (you'll have to register) and search for " turtledog stand". You could also just do a google search to view some pictures of it. It will get the job done, is easy to build from stock available at any home depot / lowes type store, it's portable, relatively light, and packs down fairly small. I built mine in a couple hours.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I admire your ideas here, but somehow feel you're making it much too difficult

I tie one end of my hammock off of the roof rack & the other over to a tree

will the areas have trees ? I know nothing about your local

peripatew

Unless you are dead set on having something attached to your truck just for the gee whiz factor, there are easier and most likely lighter solutions. Check out hammockforums.net (you'll have to register) and search for " turtledog stand". You could also just do a google search to view some pictures of it. It will get the job done, is easy to build from stock available at any home depot / lowes type store, it's portable, relatively light, and packs down fairly small. I built mine in a couple hours.

Im a member there, and have posted about this issue, which is where I first found the modded roof rack idea. I'm thinking about trying out a turtlelady stand, but there's just something about a truck mounted option that I like for some reason. The modified bumper solution that was posted would be simpler that the stands to deploy once it is initially setup. Doesn't work without aftermarket bumpers, but that's in my build plans anyways.

No big box stores here, but shouldn't be too hard to track down enough bamboo to give it a shot. Not certain on the ridgepole though, as we don't have that type of fencing here either. Might need to lash a ridgeline pole.

peripatew

I admire your ideas here, but somehow feel you're making it much too difficult

I tie one end of my hammock off of the roof rack & the other over to a tree

will the areas have trees ? I know nothing about your local

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439273369.548137.jpg
This shows the terrain somewhat, it's either flat spaces or really dense jungle without many larger trees due to the area or from deforestation. I frequent travel with others, and so we camp in such a way as to stay together for safety/community. We are also in other communities, meaning small villages where people live, so I don't want to have to clear bush to setup two hammocks for a short stay.

So I know there are other options, but I'm excited to find something that is quick and easy for my son and I to use while out exploring. In my mind it's somewhat like the RTT vs. tradition tent idea. Both work, but once is definitely more awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78