Hannibal Roof Rack modding.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I've already removed (permanently) the side rails for ease of use. The rear was removable but only allowed me to run the RTT forward and backward facing. I then cut the side rails off to open my option to either side. So if a camp site didn't suit me I could swap it. Though some setup time would be lost. Now I'm wondering if I should make the rack narrower. It was originally made for a Jeep Cherokee but was within dimensions compatible with my roof and vehicle. It is no wider than the vehicle but does overhang slightly. I'm not worried about trail debris catching, because when it gets that close it'll probably be contacting the vehicle soon. The idea would be to cut a few inches out of the center and weld it back together. Tell me what you think please.
P2075183.jpg

P2075182.jpg

P3175360.jpg

P3205368.jpg

P3215370.jpg

P1235162.jpg

P1235161.jpg

P1235157.jpg

Aaron

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Aaron,

Could you post a couple of pics of the front mounts? With the 4Runner lacking rain gutters, I'm interested to see what you used. Thanks.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
interesting

after seeing it front a far front view, i like it more

the 53" wide set me off.

now i have more options for rack width.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
P3215370-1.jpg

P3245395.jpg

I cut the yakima bars down to fit just inside the rack. I use 3 bars mounted to 3 sets of control towers for normal use and the 4th cross bar mounted to a set of q-towers set up over the drivers doors.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I should probably just leave well enough alone! But......this is what we do. Eat sleep work and think about mods.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
NorCalBorn said:
Oxford Suites, Chico, CA?? That'll solve your tent setup issues quick. :D
*If not Chico, guarantee it's an Oxford Suite, right? Kinda like Marriott Hotels, they all look the same. ;)

Hampton Inn Actually, Hilton owned. Typically on our road trips we hotel a night or BB and camp another. It keeps the wife and I happy. I use a 2.5" memory foam or similar mattress topper and my base camp thermarest pads in the tent. So it sleeps very comfy.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman