Hard Cases - Pelican etc.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I am looking for a small hard case for my Camera and a couple lenses.

I have a LowePro Stealth AW300 as my every day camera bag. But I am looking for somthing I can mount to my ATV, kayak (in the future), and take with me when I know I won't be in anywere close to Ideal conditions etc. It only needs to fit Nikon D7000 w/18-200 attached, Tamron 11-16mm, and a 50mm f1.8.. No flash, cables etc...
Smaller the better...

Dimensionally the Pelican 1300 looks to be the best but it only has foam inserts. All the reviews I read on here says stay away from the foam...

Are there other options that may have a better more durable interior material.

Expedition Leader
I use a Pelican 1400 with pick 'n pluck foam and it works great for me. Don't know why folks don't like the foam (I haven't read any reviews).

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I have a Pelican 1500 with foam, and a Otter Box with foam for kayaking and boating.

Both are pretty good. The Pelican can hold more stuff, but takes up more room in the kayak. I like that the Otter Box is small enough to hold a Canon 5D MarkII with one lens, usually the 28-300L if its good weather, or the 16-35L if it's going to be dim or questionable lighting conditions.

I can bring both if I'm using the Pelican.

Highly recommended. You can always get the Padded Inserts if the foam is an issue. I've never had any problems with the foam, but I basically cut about 75% of it out and just lay the camera and lens in there. Closing the lid holds the camera from shifting in the box when closed

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I've used a Pelican case, with the foam in it, for my lap-top during two tours in Iraq. I've been hit by roaddside bombs on both tours (the first one even rolled my truck) and the computer survived without any damage... In fact I'm typing on it right now! I'm pretty sold on Pelican cases after those tests!:D

maxingout

Adventurer
We used pelican cases in the outback of Australia, and on a sailing voyage around the world. Bull dust is a real problem in the outback, but it was no problem for the pelican cases. They protected the cameras from moisture when sailing offshore. We were using Canon XL1 and Canon XL2 video cameras, and they survived the trips in pelican cases.

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
When flying do you check the camera gear into regular luggage or do you carry it on with you?
I've just got back from the US & all our camera gear come with us as carry on in two Lowpro back packs, that limited our personal belongings.
I would like to either get a larger Lowpro with the wheels & still carry it on or a Pelican & put the gear in the aeroplanes hold, some tip would be greatly appreciated from the guys that travel.

Cheers
David

Cody1771

Explorer
im a big fan of Pelican cases... just not the cost. if the item you want to protect is cheaper than the case... might not be worth it lol.

Cody1771

Explorer
was trying to remember what the other brand i use at work, Stormcase, there latches are a bit cheaper than pelican but they are an overall great case and significatly cheaper.

Michael Slade

Untitled
When flying do you check the camera gear into regular luggage or do you carry it on with you?

When I have traveled overseas I always ALWAYS carry on the cameras AND have the film hand-checked.

I can live w/out clothes for a few days, but if the gear gets stolen I'm screwed. I have used LowePro backpacks when carrying on cameras.

I have also been known to commandeer space in my children's carry-on bags and checked luggage for various pieces of equipment and/or tripods.

Pre 9-11 I would use Pelican cases and lock them with padlocks. Now you can't get away with that. They have TSA-safe locks, but I've decided if I can't carry it on then I don't need it.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses.. I will just get the Pelican 1400 with the pickpart foam interior (need to verify dimensions first but i think that looks to be the right size).. At $60 bucks its a fairly cheap case if you ask me. My Lowepro stealth was like $70 used - new they are over $100.

It will be nice to have a case to put the camera in! It has to be safer than on my blackrapid around my neck while bouncing down trails.

When I fly all my gear goes in my lowepro bag and I carry it on. Worst case it goes in the bottom of my larger northface backpack and that is carried on.. I typically check my tripod in my large roller bag or strap it to the side of the backpack if I am not bringing the roller.

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I've just got back from the US & all our camera gear come with us as carry on in two Lowpro back packs, that limited our personal belongings.
I would like to either get a larger Lowpro with the wheels & still carry it on or a Pelican & put the gear in the aeroplanes hold, some tip would be greatly appreciated from the guys that travel.

Cheers
David

As long as it's an actual Pelican case, I usually strap them to the outside of the plane, but thats just me. :sombrero:

taco2go

Explorer
Yet another vote for the pelican. I use the 1454 with padded dividers for transporting in the truck-holds camera and 3 lenses. (snug fit). Think Tank Speed Freak for walking out and about

I have a smaller 1400-and have done quite a few minimalist backpacking trips where I took just one lens and body.
Simply carried the case in my hand- the handle has a soft rubberized cushion on the inside that works great even on 7 plus mile jaunts. The 1400 is small and light and I did not have to worry about getting it knocked up rocks and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears