Hard Sided Camper on Power Wagon

wesel123

Explorer
Hi all, posting here and a few other sites to get an opinion.

We recently sold our travel trailer and we're going to get a longer model but the rv storage lot wants 200 plus I'm storage fees.....heck no.

So the wife and I have been contemplating a hard side truck camper. Needs to have a restroom (CFO's order) and no need to get super deep back country so a Hallmark, FWC etc is not an option. We would only be using it for fire roads, unload the camper as a basecamp and explore.

We like the Lance 825, have a deposit on one but then I got to thinking about the payload limitations of my 2018 Power Wagon. The camper is 2100 lbs dry 2500 wet, which puts us well within range of a standard 2500 Ram (3800#) but 700# over the 1800# the PW is designated to have.

To help with towing and such I have Firestone Air Bags (with daystar cradles), AEV Salta rims (much higher weight capacity than stock PW rims) and 37" Toyo RT's in D range (3525 each tire). So I'm thinking that I have overcome the payload short comings of the PW. Other than possibly putting Carley 2500 progressive springs. Hopefully not a Hellwig away bar.

Over all GAWR for the front is 4750#, for the rear is 6200# less the weight of the truck 7100# leaves me with 3850#. Less the camper at max 2500# leaves me at 1350# available.

What am I missing? I know I'm essential trying to fit a square through a round hole, or at least that's what it feels like.

We were thinking truck camper as it'll fit in our driveway, easier to handle I'm towns, allows me to tow my dirt bikes, no registration, lower insurance..and so on.

There are only a handful of trailers that will fit in our driveway that we would actually buy and I would prefer not to tow anymore.

Need some helps folks, please feel free to tell me I'm nuts...or not.

UHAULER

Explorer
Have you looked at the Northstar Liberty ?
We just bought an older Northstar Hardside Camper. We've had 2 Northstar 650 popup's but wanted a hardside this time.

wesel123

Explorer
We like them but having a VERY hard time finding one.....lol.... current state of the market is rough. So haven't touched one yet. Dealer up north in Sacramento, (I'm in So Cal) had 3 and we're sold in a matter of hours when they hit the floor.

Heck the Lance we put a deposit on was only on the lot for a few hours.

And I think I'm only saving 300 or 400 lbs. Still not sure it solves my base issue.

Lance990

Observer
You are going to be way over the payload of that Power Wagon after you add gear and you will hate driving it due to handling. If you are going to carry a camper you should consider something with more payload or get a pop-up truck camper. That truck isn’t designed to carry a lot of weight. I run a FB group for Lance TC owners and many of them will say the same thing. I’ve seen people who think their PW will be fine but it is not and, in the end, they realize it too late. It would be equivalent to putting a truck camper on a Ford Raptor, a truck designed for a completely different purpose.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We like them but having a VERY hard time finding one.....lol.... current state of the market is rough. So haven't touched one yet. Dealer up north in Sacramento, (I'm in So Cal) had 3 and we're sold in a matter of hours when they hit the floor.

Heck the Lance we put a deposit on was only on the lot for a few hours.

And I think I'm only saving 300 or 400 lbs. Still not sure it solves my base issue.
You'll be way overweight with the Lance 825. The D rated flotation tires aren't going to be very stable. Lots of sidewall flex. The coil springs don't lend themselves to a hard sided camper either. Maybe a Northstar 850SC. http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/pop-up-truck-campers-850sc/ They have a toilet and shower and can be bought with the Arctic package so warmth won't be an issue. I would think HD coils would be necessary even with one. There's a Northstar site on FB where you could pose a question or go to Northstar's site directly and ask Rex Willet. A Liberty shorty as mentioned might be a possibility. The wife would be happy.

wesel123

Explorer
Nuts...I figured as much. Very much appreciate the honest opinion Lance990. It was a spur of the moment idea, thank god I didn't actually buy it and only put a deposit.

Regcabguy, that same dealer had a 850sc on the lot and it was almost the same weight as the 825, of course a much lower center of gravity but the weight is still there. I also looked at the TC 650 and I'm trying to compromise with the wife on a porta potty inside, I honestly don't think I'm going to win that battle though...lol

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
No matter what the intraweb computerlanders claim about E rated tires and air bags, that simply does NOT increase your GVWR. May improve handling a little, but does absolutely nothing about relieving stress on drive train components, etc...

FWC seems to preach to their potential customers "Just add some E rated tires and air bags, you'll be fine." This is idiotic and dangerous.

Simply put, there is no ready to go hardside camper that can be used safely on a half ton truck (yes, the PW is technically a 1/2 not a 3/4 ton). I was pretty set on a PW for a long time, and the lacking payload was the only reason i didnt pull the trigger.

There's plenty of folks that'll claim "I have X camper on my Y truck and its fine."

To those folks, i just say cool story bro, when you get in a crash and insurance tells you to pound sand because you're over the manufacture safety rating weight, make sure you remind them you had E rated tires! Then they'll promptly tell you that doesn't amount to a hill of beans! :)

I struggled with this for a couple years, wanting to make my Tundra work out for my needs. It simply wouldnt.

I spent obscene amounts of time doing actual research on all various truck models. I was pretty baffled at how low the PW payload was, as that was one of the models i was REALLY looking at.

In the end, i went with a big stupid 5500, because i dont just want to be a little under GVWR, i want a safety buffer too.

For each is own, but for all those "payload bandaids" the internet computerlanders are spewing out, you're on a slippery slope sir should something ever go awry.

My unsolicited two cents is, to do it properly and safely, you need a bigger truck with some sort of GVWR buffer for loaded camper

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior