Hard-Sided Pop-Up Camper by Hiatus Campers

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
In your opinion, any reason for LAP or eternabond tape on the exterior compared to using just sikflex for everything?

I don't want to do any additional sealing on things unless I get the OK (make sure it doesn't mess with my warranty

Spencer for Hire

In your opinion, any reason for LAP or eternabond tape on the exterior compared to using just sikflex for everything?

I don't want to do any additional sealing on things unless I get the OK (make sure it doesn't mess with my warranty
Don't do anything to your camper regarding your issues unless you get it in writing from Hiatus that it will not void any warranties.

trabs00

Don't do anything to your camper regarding your issues unless you get it in writing from Hiatus that it will not void any warranties.
Totally agree!
Thanks for the reminder on this.
This is why I immediately brought it back to them for this issue (I fortunately am not that far away) without touching it.

Bergger

Explorer

I've always installed fans with a good caulk on the inside, like sikaflex, and also with a sealant on the outside. Two layers of protection that way. The dicor lap sealant will not only cover the external screw heads but the whole seam where the fan meets the roof. Eternabond will do the same. The lap sealant is pretty much the standard the RV industry uses to seal the outside of fans and vents. It is also the way ATO installed our fan on our Summit.

Zybane

Just a few questions for those that have one of these campers. I am deciding on a few things:

1. What is the benefits of the barn doors over a tail gate?
2. Is the extra bed space worth the more awkward look and more wind resistance of the vertical walls?
3. How well do the origami panels seal with the top up? Is it actually air/water proof? Are they bulb seals or?
4. Are the regular sliding windows double pane/insulated? Or only the arctic turn?
5. If you fold the top down in rain or snow, how much/how wet does it get inside?
6. Can you leave all your pillows/bedding in place? IS 4" mattress the thickest you can go with?
7. Can you lock all the doors and windows from inside?
8. What is the thermal insulation like?
9. What is the noise insulation like?
10. Can you open the exterior door on the side with a deployed awning?
11. What is the average standing height on a full size pickup from bed to ceiling of popup?
12. Can you get the white pop-up panels painted something other than white?
13. Is the structure strong enough to stay together for many years of moderate rock crawling?
14. How much weight are the units coming in at full size 5 to 6 foot bed?

trabs00

Just a few questions for those that have one of these campers. I am deciding on a few things:

1. What is the benefits of the barn doors over a tail gate?
2. Is the extra bed space worth the more awkward look and more wind resistance of the vertical walls?
3. How well do the origami panels seal with the top up? Is it actually air/water proof? Are they bulb seals or?
4. Are the regular sliding windows double pane/insulated? Or only the arctic turn?
5. If you fold the top down in rain or snow, how much/how wet does it get inside?
6. Can you leave all your pillows/bedding in place? IS 4" mattress the thickest you can go with?
7. Can you lock all the doors and windows from inside?
8. What is the thermal insulation like?
9. What is the noise insulation like?
10. Can you open the exterior door on the side with a deployed awning?
11. What is the average standing height on a full size pickup from bed to ceiling of popup?
12. Can you get the white pop-up panels painted something other than white?
13. Is the structure strong enough to stay together for many years of moderate rock crawling?
14. How much weight are the units coming in at full size 5 to 6 foot bed?
Full disclosure I haven't had my Hiatus very long, and I really only experience exploring it in my driveway while I measure and plan an interior buildout, Work, other truck projects and some injuries have kept me from using it on any trips. 😞

I have only have seen 2 people that are on Exp Portal that have posted about their Hiatus. The guy in the Ram said he isn't really on here anymore when DM'd him. He has had one the longest. Maybe you should see if there are folks on Facebook or Instagram that give their experience with their Hiatus. I don't do social media so I can't help you with that. If you find something please try to put a link in this thread (if that is allowed)

Due to the lack of any reviews on this forum, I will try my best to either post in this thread or start another with a build thread to help others considering this cool design and when it is in use (I spend about 4 weeks on the road each year on long trips and many long weekends in PNW for trails, camping and hiking trips.

I will post my very limited experience so far to maybe help others also considering this camper.

1) Barn doors = much less dust intrusion compared with tailgate. You lose tailgate, which I miss but Tundras had poor sealing with their tailgate and I was looking to keep dust out as much as possible
2) Personal preference. For me, the vertical walls make for a larger than Queen sized sleeping are. I use two Exped Megamat 10s (30 x 78) and still have several inches on each side. For me the extra space if great since I toss and turn a lot.
You gain ~3-4" in interior height with vertical walls.
My previous RTT was just smaller than a full sized bed and a little too small for us.
I actually like the vertical walls and it makes for more room inside and it is taller. It is nice to be able to sit up while camper is not popped up.
I have a 2012 Tundra with 5.7L V8. I gave up on gas mileage a long time ago
3) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
4) sliding default windows are not double pane. My MIL is going to make me reflectix style covers and little curtains. I am not sure an arctic tern would fit in the original locations (You will have to contact Hiatus) If you look on the IG they show having Arctic windows on the sides. I kind of regret not getting these but didn't want anymore windows then necessary
5) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
6) I was told that with their mattress you would not be able to keep bedding in place (definitely not pillows).
I opted to have them not include mattress (save $500) and use two Exped Megamat 10s. This works great (in my driveway testing). They fit with room on each side. If you deflate and fold them in half it is the perfect height to leave some bedding and still close the camper. No room for pillows
7) Yes windows and doors lock from inside. There is a deadbolt that you can lock from the inside. It feels Very secure. If something or someone tries to get in mine while I am in there, the will have to get though my belgian malinois and my glock 10mm.
8) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
9) So far for me the noise insulation is much better than a canvas pop up.
10) With my eezi awn 270 you can open and close both barn doors with it open
11) Best to ask Hiatus directly.
I haven't measured my interior height; I am only 5'8" and it is very tall with the vertical walls I am going to measure the interior height I might want to install some 6-7" height drawers. I felt like my decked drawers.
For me it is a balance, I think I would have enough height with drawers when popped open, but might lose the ability to sit while it is closed (which is important to me)
12) Best to ask Hiatus directly.
13) Best to ask Hiatus directly. I am not sure anyone can answer this. I don't think I have seen one on a rig that looked it was going to be "used for many years of rock crawling"
I am going to put mine through its paces for sure, but it sounds like you would be putting it through a rough life. Mine feels really solid and I installed aftermarket beefy bed stiffeners to hopefully keep it from getting too much flex when I hit the trails.
Again, unfortunately mine is still pretty close to a virgin to know more.
14) I used a CAT scale before and after install and my 5'7" Tundra with my options on the Hiatus, weighed in at 550lbs

Amarsh

Full disclosure I haven't had my Hiatus very long, and I really only experience exploring it in my driveway while I measure and plan an interior buildout, Work, other truck projects and some injuries have kept me from using it on any trips. 😞

I have only have seen 2 people that are on Exp Portal that have posted about their Hiatus. The guy in the Ram said he isn't really on here anymore when DM'd him. He has had one the longest. Maybe you should see if there are folks on Facebook or Instagram that give their experience with their Hiatus. I don't do social media so I can't help you with that. If you find something please try to put a link in this thread (if that is allowed)

Due to the lack of any reviews on this forum, I will try my best to either post in this thread or start another with a build thread to help others considering this cool design and when it is in use (I spend about 4 weeks on the road each year on long trips and many long weekends in PNW for trails, camping and hiking trips.

I will post my very limited experience so far to maybe help others also considering this camper.

1) Barn doors = much less dust intrusion compared with tailgate. You lose tailgate, which I miss but Tundras had poor sealing with their tailgate and I was looking to keep dust out as much as possible
2) Personal preference. For me, the vertical walls make for a larger than Queen sized sleeping are. I use two Exped Megamat 10s (30 x 78) and still have several inches on each side. For me the extra space if great since I toss and turn a lot.
You gain ~3-4" in interior height with vertical walls.
My previous RTT was just smaller than a full sized bed and a little too small for us.
I actually like the vertical walls and it makes for more room inside and it is taller. It is nice to be able to sit up while camper is not popped up.
I have a 2012 Tundra with 5.7L V8. I gave up on gas mileage a long time ago
3) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
4) sliding default windows are not double pane. My MIL is going to make me reflectix style covers and little curtains. I am not sure an arctic tern would fit in the original locations (You will have to contact Hiatus) If you look on the IG they show having Arctic windows on the sides. I kind of regret not getting these but didn't want anymore windows then necessary
5) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
6) I was told that with their mattress you would not be able to keep bedding in place (definitely not pillows).
I opted to have them not include mattress (save $500) and use two Exped Megamat 10s. This works great (in my driveway testing). They fit with room on each side. If you deflate and fold them in half it is the perfect height to leave some bedding and still close the camper. No room for pillows
7) Yes windows and doors lock from inside. There is a deadbolt that you can lock from the inside. It feels Very secure. If something or someone tries to get in mine while I am in there, the will have to get though my belgian malinois and my glock 10mm.
8) I will find out in the near future, I will post my experiences in the thread as I start to use it.
9) So far for me the noise insulation is much better than a canvas pop up.
10) With my eezi awn 270 you can open and close both barn doors with it open
11) Best to ask Hiatus directly.
I haven't measured my interior height; I am only 5'8" and it is very tall with the vertical walls I am going to measure the interior height I might want to install some 6-7" height drawers. I felt like my decked drawers.
For me it is a balance, I think I would have enough height with drawers when popped open, but might lose the ability to sit while it is closed (which is important to me)
12) Best to ask Hiatus directly.
13) Best to ask Hiatus directly. I am not sure anyone can answer this. I don't think I have seen one on a rig that looked it was going to be "used for many years of rock crawling"
I am going to put mine through its paces for sure, but it sounds like you would be putting it through a rough life. Mine feels really solid and I installed aftermarket beefy bed stiffeners to hopefully keep it from getting too much flex when I hit the trails.
Again, unfortunately mine is still pretty close to a virgin to know more.
14) I used a CAT scale before and after install and my 5'7" Tundra with my options on the Hiatus, weighed in at 550lbs

Would love some pics of how it looks on your short bed Tundra!

Zybane

Oh 550lbs for a Tundra sized one, that's pretty hefty. I think then a big F150 Raptor sized would may be pushing 700lbs before I add all my other gear and passengers to my 1,300lb payload. I guess that's why Raptors aren't used my for overlanding.

trabs00

Oh 550lbs for a Tundra sized one, that's pretty hefty. I think then a big F150 Raptor sized would may be pushing 700lbs before I add all my other gear and passengers to my 1,300lb payload. I guess that's why Raptors aren't used my for overlanding.
Isn't raptor a 5.7" bed as well?
I can't see how you would hit 700lbs with that setup. Options depending
But yeah, short box and low payload is not optimal for a Raptor to be an "overlanding" rig

trabs00

How did you build the floor out? Thank You. It looks nice.
thanks. I haven't actually built out a floor yet as I haven't decided what I want. At the install I just had the floor portion of my old bedrug to make it easier on the knees

first up will be a new bed rug especially to help insulate a bit on the sides.

I was going to do the interior build out myself, but my time is really limited right now and I figure there are probably many places that used to build sprinter van interiors that now need some projects to work on. I can't imagine they are building nearly as many $150-200k sprinters right now in this economy.

I want something light and simple. a 14" narrow counter on one side with a small sink that just drains out under the truck. No drawers, just some open shelf space for something like sideo crates to save some weight. a mount for 5 gallon Sceptre MWC. I already have my National Luna Power Pack (NLPPP) in a Zarges aluminum box and my Dometic fridge. With the cover the fridge and the Zarges battery box those will be my 2 seats.
I am also going to try and put as much as I can in the cab. The Crewmax has a huge amount of space with rear seat delete and a custom platform. Room for my dog, and under the platform locked storage for all my tools and recovery gear. Maybe some boxes like Frontrunner wolfpack or similar on one side.

I will update here as I start adding my build out

Spencer for Hire

thanks. I haven't actually built out a floor yet as I haven't decided what I want. At the install I just had the floor portion of my old bedrug to make it easier on the knees

first up will be a new bed rug especially to help insulate a bit on the sides.

I was going to do the interior build out myself, but my time is really limited right now and I figure there are probably many places that used to build sprinter van interiors that now need some projects to work on. I can't imagine they are building nearly as many $150-200k sprinters right now in this economy.

I want something light and simple. a 14" narrow counter on one side with a small sink that just drains out under the truck. No drawers, just some open shelf space for something like sideo crates to save some weight. a mount for 5 gallon Sceptre MWC. I already have my National Luna Power Pack (NLPPP) in a Zarges aluminum box and my Dometic fridge. With the cover the fridge and the Zarges battery box those will be my 2 seats.
I am also going to try and put as much as I can in the cab. The Crewmax has a huge amount of space with rear seat delete and a custom platform. Room for my dog, and under the platform locked storage for all my tools and recovery gear. Maybe some boxes like Frontrunner wolfpack or similar on one side.

I will update here as I start adding my build out
Thanks. How do you plan to insulate the side and back walls of the bed? Part of the bedrug system had sections that covered those areas.

Zybane

Isn't raptor a 5.7" bed as well?
I can't see how you would hit 700lbs with that setup. Options depending
But yeah, short box and low payload is not optimal for a Raptor to be an "overlanding" rig

It is, but it's also a really wide bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior