Hardbody Camper Shells and Slide In Campers

Donkey_jaw

Observer
Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a affordable and reliable 4x4. I've owned 5 Nissans and have had nothing but great service out of them. Your opinions are appreciated. Im looking to purchase a 4x4 Nissan Hardbody. I'd prefer the 4 cylinder because of fuel economy. Would the 4 cylinder have enough power to handle the weight of a slide in truck camper or would that be too much weight for the 4 cylinder? I'll probably opt for the 5-speed. Or would I be better off just having a camper shell with a cot and sleeping in there? Keep in mind the trip i have planned will be mostly camping for roughly a year....

All "positive" opinions appreciated.

The 4 cylinder if it were me would need to be re-geared if you plan to do much highway travel, unless it's a really lightweight camper. (also dependent on tire size chosen)

The VG30E doesn't do that bad on gas. It doesn't have much more HP than the KA, but it does have additional torque that comes on sooner. (I have a VG30E in my WD21) With either motor I would get the 5 spd...the auto isn't very robust.

I've been contemplating doing something similar but with a DIY camper that replaces the bed, to offset the weight of the camper.

Donkey_jaw

Observer
Thanks for the tips. There are 2 trucks I"m looking at. Both are 5 speeds but one is a 6 cylinder and the other is a 4 cylinder.

justbecause

perpetually lost
there is a guy in the classified section selling a 4 banger ranger with FWC slide in.... he seemed to like his set up, and the camper is for sale separately.

I wouldn't necessarily let a KA24E (4 cylinder) deter you from the truck. I've owned more than most of them...both turbo and n/a in an s chassis.

I would take whichever rig was in better shape overall, and price point.

Idler arm brace and 31's (stock size option on the D21 and WD21) will get you plenty of places.

Donkey_jaw

Observer
I've found a Hardbody in great shape. Its 4x4 with an automatic 6 cylinder. I know the manual transmissions are indestructible but how about the automatic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179