Hardware changes on Silverado HD's beweteen post 2011 and the modern day model

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hello,

so there seems to a chance to get ones hands on a (over here) pretty rare Silverado 3500 from 2012 with the awesome Duramax. Unfortunatly not excatly cheap as it is a rare truck here.

What i would like to know: Other then Design, Horsepower ratings, entertainment gadgets and other more minor stuff - what did really change?

As fasr as i know the frame stayed pretty much the same since it got boxed in 2011, or where there significant changes?

What about the front suspension? it is the only IFS amoung heavy duties and i heard from some issues back in 2011, was this part of the truck redesigned or beefed up over the years or not so much. Because as far as i know the Dana Super 60 under the Ford HD front end seems to be the basically same piece since like 2007 right?

Kind regards,

Marcus

deserteagle56

Adventurer
How much off-highway travel do you intend to do? That's the question that will determine whether you want a truck with IFS. I live in northern Nevada and worked for mining companies for over 40 years. NONE of the mines run GM trucks because of problems with the IFS. These trucks run in mud....freezing mud this time of year....and that mud wreaks havoc with IFS. You have two rubber boots covering CV joints on each front axle and as soon as one of the boots get cracked or is torn the CV joint will be destroyed.
But if your use will be primarily on pavement then from what I've seen and heard the GM trucks (and the Duramax/Allison drive train) work really well.
I live in an area where there are very few paved roads. The vast majority of HD trucks I see roaming the back country are either Ford or Dodge/Ram.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
In the end the majority will be On-Highway, but of course you dont buy a 4x4 for only that. But i wonder how all those military vehicles with IFS and IRS handle the issues you mentioned? All the wheeled tanks, the Humvees, JLTVs etc.?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Far cry difference in the robustness of the military components compared with what GM puts under their trucks. Military isn't so concerned with weight and their components are massive.

There's a reason, when you see HD rigs built for overlanding, that most are either Ram/Dodge or Ford. And the reason isn't the powertrain; that in the GMs is just as good as the others.

Last edited:

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Well at least in terms of fronat axle weight rating the difference isnt that bis tbh and at least from looking at the Humvee front axle and the one time i got a peek on a Silverado 2500 the AM didnt look that much stronger. Of course looks can be very deceiving here.

Hm its kind of a pity, the RAM has the weakest frame, but at least is sometimes to be found, but often with the 5.7, the Chevy has a very strong frame, often a Duramax, but the IFS, the Ford has the toughest frame, strongest front axles, but all of that only in the latest Generation, which is by far rarest of em all over here.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’m on my second 2500hd, 2011 and 2015. I know the 2011 and newer differ from the older ones. Different chassis and different wheel bolt pattern. Don’t know the specifics really.

1stDeuce

Explorer
2011 was a big year for the GM Trucks. EVERYTHING in the front got significantly bigger/stronger. The knuckles got taller as well, which reduces stress on the ball joints and control arms, all of which also got a lot beefier. The front differential got a bit stronger, front brakes bigger, and the frame is stronger (and hangs down a bit more) than the 99-2010 trucks.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Ram/Ford trucks having a stronger front end for normal use... I've got 325k miles on the stock lower balljoints on my 2006 GMC that does plenty of offroad and back road travel in Colorado and Utah, and lots of towing. Pitman arm was replaced at 150k and again at 320k, though I saved it because it seemed tight when I took it off. I think the box just had a bit of lash, which I adjusted at the same time. Tie rod ends were replaced at 150k but I don't think the front end was ever greased before I bought it at about 120k. The 2011+ trucks should last even longer, assuming those things get greased occasionally as everything is bigger.

The biggest offroad issue with the 2011+diesel trucks is the DEF tank hanging down under the passenger's side. It's lower than the frame and makes me cringe every time I see one...

As the sole fixer of my vehicles, and a GM/Jeep guy, I'll add that Ford does things a bit different than GM, and I really don't get it a lot of the time. Things like printing the fuse box lid so that the diagram matches when the lid is installed, but is mirrored when you take the lid off and try to find a fuse... ******?? Ram had tons of electrical problems starting around 2013, and their wiring methods can sometimes be questionable, like sharing 5v reference signals between multiple systems so that when a fairly non-critical system fails and shorts the reference to ground, everything else goes down too... My favorite is a bad A/C pressure switch causing the electric shift 4wd to lose it's mind and shift the truck to neutral while sitting in a parking lot... Eeeeeek. That said, all vehicles are now getting so dang complicated that any electrical issue is difficult to figure out.

Yup, I'm a GM fanboy. But my friends run Fords and Dodges, and they havn't convinced me to change yet. They have, however been through multiple trucks while I'm still driving the same old GMC that I bought well used in 2009.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The biggest offroad issue with the 2011+diesel trucks is the DEF tank hanging down under the passenger's side. It's lower than the frame and makes me cringe every time I see on...

Forgot about that feature! Guy I worked with crushed that low-hanging DEF tank when he was crossing a washout. I believe there's an aftermarket metal shield available to protect that plastic tank but I'd be skeptical that it could hold the weight of a heavy diesel truck when the front tires drop into a hole.
P1010223erexpforums1-10-24.jpg

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Ok but did they again seen any need to improve on the IFS/frame after 2011 or where those changes cosmetic? Yeah that very low hanging piece sure is a bother!

1stDeuce

Explorer
They claim a "totally re-engineered" truck for 2020. So far as I know, there were no significant chassis updates between 2011 and 2019 though. There was a body update in there somewhere, but I'm not sure (AKA don't care) when it was, and it did not affect the chassis.

Just curious but what were the issues with the 2011 trucks that you are aware of? My experience is that they were pretty good, with my only complaint being the rubbery steering of the regular cab trucks. Hopefully they did away with that at some point, as it rather sucked...

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

They claim a "totally re-engineered" truck for 2020. So far as I know, there were no significant chassis updates between 2011 and 2019 though. There was a body update in there somewhere, but I'm not sure (AKA don't care) when it was, and it did not affect the chassis. Just curious but what were the issues with the 2011 trucks that you are aware of? My experience is that they were pretty good, with my only complaint being the rubbery steering of the regular cab trucks. Hopefully they did away with that at some point, as it rather sucked...

Went from GMT 900 body to the K2 body for the 2014 model year for the k1500, the '15 MY for the K2500 HD. Dropped the suicide rear doors on the "double cab" in favor of regular door handles. Much nicer interior as well. May have strengthened the frame

samsari

So I have owned a 2015 silverado 2500 6.0 gas. I've owned since new and have never needed to take it in to get worked on/warrenty issues. This by far has been the most reliable truck I've owned. As talked about before, in 2011 the frames and front end were significantly beefed up and improved. as well as the front diff is no longer clam shell designed, but one piece cast aluminum. Since I own a gas heavy duty I do not need the cumbersome DEF tank.

To improve this model even more:
- Kriptonite makes a sturdier steering replacement that is modeled after the military H1's.
-The only maker of skid plates is ASFIR, they make full under body skid plates for our trucks.
-Rocky Road outfitters makes some pretty heavy duty rock rails for the silverado.

Ram and Ford trucks are great as well, especially because of the front solid axle. However, the solid axle is not the only component that makes a great overland truck. Those two trucks have many issues of their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12