Has anyone tried the Z Grills 200A Pro or Traeger Ranger portable pellet grills?

SBSYNCRO

I have both an older Traeger and Z Grills pellet smoker in full size models and have found the Z Grill to be every bit as reliable and consistent as the much more expensive Traeger (the parts are even interchangeable!). I'm eyeing the Z Grills 200A Pro but have a few questions about taking something like one of these in the field. Hoping to get some first hand info from the group:

1. Can it be closed up and carried/stored sideways while loaded with pellets? (my guess is no). Are the pellets easy to remove for transport?
2. How is the grease catcher - does it work well?
3. How much power do they use on startup and then while running?
4. Any idea whether they could be converted to 12v? (would probably require a 10+ amp connection, I'm sure).

I've been using a Magma grill that I originally bought for boating and I have grown tired of the grease leaking down one leg, the extreme flare-ups and lack of flame control, but it is very compact and I can stow it on its side in my trailer... I would LOVE to be able to smoke meats at camp...

JCDriller

Adventurer
I’ve got a traeger ranger that I’ve used to smoke trout while camping. My TB trailer has a 2000w Xanax inverter and 2 odyssey g31s with 530w solar on the RTT. While I don’t recall the actual draw, it’s not minimal. The smoker is HEAVY, can’t be ran on 12v and I doubt it would do well on its side.

I did modify mine by removing the 120v cable and replacing it with a NOCO plug. Allowing me to use any extension cord for power. It’s easier to pack that way. I also installed so low profile knobs. Honestly the right knob should just be eliminated as it gets too hot.

Attachments

• IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9410.jpeg
    IMG_9410.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 62050191114__6CA15543-0AEF-44F7-9D3E-72AE8F9F56AF.jpeg
    62050191114__6CA15543-0AEF-44F7-9D3E-72AE8F9F56AF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Roger M.

Adventurer
Do you ever get any backfires through the screw with your Ranger?
I went to my local dealer to purchase a Ranger a couple of years ago, and he talked me into a Tailgater due to the fact that (according to him) the Ranger frequently had backfires due to the very short length of the pellet screw.
As much as I enjoy my Tailgater, I've not heard too many tales of Ranger backfires since that day ... and wonder if it was an accurate take on the part of the sales guy.
Both the Ranger and the Tailgater are close enough in price that it definitely wasn't an upsell ... which has left me wondering?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online