Hauling wood in ??

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yet another case unfortunately of those who do, shoudn't, and those that "should" dont.

I know how to. Most do not.

Most get a small fire started, then toss an entire log on.

Smoke city.

Others make what some call a "white man" fire.

Huge and over the top, wasteful, and dangerous.

Rarely in my experience have we ever found somebody with a campfire that actually knows how to burn a fire small and hot to remain safe and smoke free.

Certainly one of our biggest reasons for avoiding camp grounds as much as possible anymore.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
I find this thread quite funny.

The question asked was how do you get wood to your campsite, it is amazing how things get twisted and turned around.
I nearly always cook by fire, use fire for some ambient light, even works to keep mosquitoes and flies away if a bit smokey.

Here is a campfire for cooking.

received_10153230816372827 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Here is one for ambience.

DSC_0523 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott Murray, on Flickr

I have many more photos of camp fires. In a total fire ban we do not light fires, we also ensure it is out before leaving camp. Some places we are only allowed to use gas and thats what we use.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Some of us don't use campgrounds, most of our camping spots are remote enough that even on a holiday weekend we might see a dozen other humans over 3-4 days. Not that it matters much anyway, we typically have 3 types of dry wood with us and I make a perfect camp or cooking fire. If it rains we have the Camp Chef stove as a backup for cooking, but prefer to use the Dutch oven over hot coals.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Like Scott, I don't build a fire bigger than what I need to provide for my cooking - which I usually do over coals anyway, light for ambiance, and heat. I don't build blazing signal fires. I always either dig a pit, so I can bury it when I leave, ring it with rocks, or use an existing fire ring. I rarely camp in campgrounds, simply because they are too crowded for me and only when there is no other option. I would also agree with the sentiment that there are many people who don't know/care how to build and use a fire, and unfortunately, I have friends like that - if the flames are not eight feet high it needs more wood. I never leave a fire unattended, and it's always dead out before I hit the trail. I bring wood because in the desert it is difficult to find wood in sufficient quantities to make a fire that will last. It also can get very cold in the Arizona desert, below freezing in the winter. Heck, just last weekend, 22 degrees at dawn, warming up to over 80 during the day.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
"Others make what some call a "white man" fire.

Huge and over the top, wasteful, and dangerous."

Much like what we've learned in Arizona about the "Idaho Left Turn", I propose instead of making a racist fire statement, we call this an Idaho Fire.

Idaho Left Turn: While driving, making a left turn from the right lane, while signalling a right turn.
Idaho Fire: Huge and over the top, wasteful and dangerous campfire.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Racist fire statement?

Really? :rolleyes:

Leave it to Ex-Po to pull the race card, and challenge political correctness over a commonly used name for a camp fire.

Seriously, get over it.

As a society we have become so concerned about political correctness that nothing is correct enough, and somebody always seems upset enough to complain.

Everybody wants things sugar coated and spoon fed.

I've always called it a white man fire, and I always will, because that's the common term that has described it for decades.

And yes, I'm white. Oops, I mean caucasian ;)

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
get over what? Call it whatever you want, I care about as much as I care about your opinions on the usefulness of a campfire.

I'm just trying to have some fun with it, so, maybe you should get over it.

ScoobyMike

9579833b8264a28038684f9fd7603c3b.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im all for having a bit of fun...

with that said, it still has yet to be proven that a wood campfire is essential.

:camping:

Useful, sure, essential? For the average joe camp out, not a chance.

Oops...

"average joe" isnt derogatory against JOEs' is it???? OMG!! :coffeedrink:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Well, this thread got crappy. Two and a half pages of worthwhile discussion, and that much again of people poking at each other over the internet. The signal/noise ratio has dropped into youtube comment territory.

86cj

Explorer
I think somebody has their lifesavings surrounded by dead pine trees and lays in bed at night sure some camper nearby is using fire just because he wants to and does not need to.........

I like buying wood locally now that I have been required to do it, where I camp that might be the only commerce those locals get in their money box that day. I have felt bad spending time in some vastly beautiful place and if I don't need fuel that day we spend nothing in their town, (not even ice now that you guy's convinced me I needed a 12v fridge) that is not "essential" either.

MOguy

Explorer
I think somebody has their lifesavings surrounded by dead pine trees and lays in bed at night sure some camper nearby is using fire just because he wants to and does not need to.........

I like buying wood locally now that I have been required to do it, where I camp that might be the only commerce those locals get in their money box that day. I have felt bad spending time in some vastly beautiful place and if I don't need fuel that day we spend nothing in their town, (not even ice now that you guy's convinced me I needed a 12v fridge) that is not "essential" either.

That is what burn bans and insurance is for.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Whole damned topic's a pathetic mess. When did mankind become so neutered? Camping without a campfire? BLM ticketing for nails?? Doing a bunch of finicky work, using a $100 bin to transport wood scrap, or using 'processed log products' for firewood?
Everything's been deconstructed. Even camping.

Kevin108

Explorer
I propose instead of making a racist fire statement...

It's an old joke/proverb: The red man builds a small fire and sits close. A white man builds a big fire and sits far away.

Don't be so sensitive. It's funny. Both sides of my lineage are laughing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998