Have you "painted" your vehicle with a cheaper bedliner than the name brands?

magentawave

Adventurer
Have you "painted" your vehicle with a cheaper bedliner than the name brands?

I'm thinking of coating the exterior of the front cab of my 1982 Toyota Sunrader motorhome with a white bedliner type coating like Monstaliner. Monstaliner is expensive though and someone on another forum used Henrys sealant which is only $27.00 per gallon at Home Depot. Two years later he said it still looks great. He said many of these bed liner products are elastomeric coatings which is what Henry's is made out of.

QUESTION:

Have you used a cheaper alternative to the expensive bed liners to "paint" the outside of your vehicle?

Thanks

nucktaco

Adventurer
I haven't painted the complete exterior but I did bed line my Tacoma flares, doors, fenders and box sides from the lower body line down about 4 years ago and it's still holding up strong. No chipping or flaking. I used raptor liner was about 80 bucks for a gallon kit including the spray gun. Probably has about 150k kms on it with no issues. I do think prep work has a lot to do with it. I had one of my coworkers prep it and spray it and bake it in the spray booth at work.

Would highly recommend it. It's not super rough like other bedliners either so doesn't hold dirt and road grime in it.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Well I'm a fan of you get what you pay for, and as stated prep is key. From my reading Raptor and Monstaliner are hand in hand with popularity. I went with Monstaliner simply for the fact that the owner is very active on another forum with around a gabillion pages of responses. Customer service was top notch when I created my own blunder, due to not following directions. They offered to go above and beyond due to my mistake, I didn't take them up on the offer but was able to rectify my mistake with there help.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I did mine with Raptor Liner and I'm happy with the product. One of the selling points of the Raptor product, and I assume Monstaliner as well, is that its UV stable. I figured this was a good thing since this vehicle was going to spend a lot more time outside than my regular vehicles.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Yes Monstaliner is UV stable as well, like I said as far as I've read they are both pretty evenly matched.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

magentawave

Adventurer
Thanks for your input, guys. I have 3 more questions, please.

1) Has anyone tried the Rustoleum tan colored bedliner that comes in spray cans? You can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/zpu4t23

2) The front cab of my 82 Toyota pickup is about 61' square. I was checking out the Raptor stuff and it says coverage is 30 square feet per liter - and they suggest 2 to 3 coats. Does anyone know if I can get those 2 to 3 recommended coats out of a one liter can, or do I have to buy 2 to 3 liters of it?

3) The other question I couldn't find the answer to at the Raptor site was if Raptor adheres to Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer?

Thanks again.

magentawave

Adventurer
Thanks for your input, guys. I have 3 more questions, please.

1) Has anyone tried the Rustoleum tan colored bedliner that comes in spray cans? You can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/zpu4t23

2) The front cab of my 82 Toyota pickup is about 61' square. I was checking out the Raptor stuff and it says coverage is 30 square feet per liter - and they suggest 2 to 3 coats. Does anyone know if I can get those 2 to 3 recommended coats out of a one liter can, or do I have to buy 2 to 3 liters of it?

3) The other question I couldn't find the answer to at the Raptor site was if Raptor adheres to Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer?

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12