Haven't seen one of these before (01-03 taco)

ToyFamily

Observer
I thought I'd share, it'd make for some nice storage for the expedition/non hardcore trail rig.
GetAttachment.jpg

I have a few more if interested.

Nick

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The problem with utility bodies like that is that they're very heavy and generally not designed for use on a vehicle that will be doing a lot of bouncing or rock crawling.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A friend of mine has had two Util bodies on two different trucks. Both wore out the truck that they were mounted on, and he is hard on equipment. One saw many Baja trips on the rear of a 70's GM crew cab SRW 1 ton. That truck broke a lower ball joint from too much speed on the wash board road SW out of San Ignacio to the coast. That bed later took out an official double steel posted sign with not a lot of damage to the bed. Oops.......
No getting away from their weight, but I've no concerns about durability. I do dislike their departure angle and it would be a considerable effort to modify those that I've looked at to have a better departure angle.

ToyFamily

Observer
During close inspection, the Box was fitted by a work truck acc. store so I am sure there are different size options. A cool alt. to this is maybe chopping the bed sides off at the bed deck (keeping the lower bodywork and tail light portion) and bolting some equipment boxes (aluminum if you want lighter) to the actual deck of the bed (flush with the edge) making the same sort of bed box thing in a cleaner thing (could be painted to match if you want it more bling)

after looking at it if departure was an issue (and I was going this way) I don't see many issues with doing some sweet mods to the rear. (this is however the sort of thing I do)

For weight support, maybe do the older school toy thing and go with Chevy half ton spring swap. I've wheeled some hard trails fully loaded and it was like the load wasn't there. If they didn't work for the speed/whoops, maybe do a Deaver or Alcan (aftermarket chevy lift pack) and spring under the rear.

too many ideas, I need more vehicles to chop up. :rolleyes:

Nick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle