having a hella time finding a rubi with the right options

irish1371

Adventurer
so found a 13 with 5k rubi unlimited for sale local. has everything I wanted auto trany right top ect. but no nav. I just dont seem to be able to turn up all the options that I am looking for.

so what are the options for after market support for some in dash nav head units that are compatible with the jk dash? Trying to figure out if it would be better to get everything else I want but nav and just add it or is it such a pita that I should hold out for one with the nav unit?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A lot of guys will tell you to buy an aftermarket nav unit. Less money and better functionality.
I bought mine new in 2012 with nav, but my primary reason for buying it was the integration, and security. All I mean by security is that it's a factory unit and less likely to be ripped off. The times I parked the jeep somewhere with no top or doors I didn't worry about someone ripping my stereo out.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Get a Garmin Montana and a Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount. It locks the GPS in place and prevents the casual thief. This is what I have on my motorcycle, and when I get around to it, I'm going to put one in my YJ.

Chad

skates04

Adventurer
The best part about the factory nav is how much you can sell them for...... Granted I have an 08, but my factory nav really is not that great, even the mygig hard drive for music is frustrating as it makes very difficult to actually organize the music. I will say it is reliable, always works, and looks good but its not great. I believe the newer units are Garmin based so I am sure they are slightly better.

Positive note: I think the only reason I have kept the factory nav is because the one feature I like is it will save your track when your on a trail, I always turn it on when I start off on a trail, then I can save my tracks to the hard drive for future use, or to back track if needed.

stevil

I have a rubicon on order. One of my main reasons was NOT to have the factory stereo (other than X package and the fact it's a rubicon!). For 1/3rd the price I have a pioneer unit to install that integrates totally with my iPhone. Better sound quality, detachable face for security and I plan to extend it with better amps/speakers down the line. I'll be able to use whatever Nav app I want AND be able to view/control it from the touch screen. I had a 2012 w/ the 430n and I really didn't like it. It certainly wasn't worth $1200.

wADVr

Adventurer
While I am not overly impressed with my factory nav unit, I do like having a factory unit in place to deter petty thieves. Mine is the older version so I hope they have improved it. I have never been afraid to travel for the car and/or deal I wanted. A 3 hour drive saved me several thousand over anything I cold get local plus it had substantial upgrades sweetening the deal even further. My point is expanding your search might get you exactly what you want.

aristobrat

Observer
so what are the options for after market support for some in dash nav head units that are compatible with the jk dash? Trying to figure out if it would be better to get everything else I want but nav and just add it or is it such a pita that I should hold out for one with the nav unit?
I think it was already mentioned, but you can always buy a factory nav from eBay and install it yourself.

I bought my 2010 JKUR with the factory nav. Back then, there was only one option (the MyGiG), and it was something like $1750 MSRP. It's close to what the current 730n is today, but mine doesn't do the gas prices/weather/etc. Navigation looks pretty much the same, though.

When I get my next Wrangler (either a 2014 or 2015), I will not be getting the factory nav with it.

#1, I run without doors (and the top down as much as possible) during the summer, and although I've never let the factory nav get rained on, it hasn't held up well to the sun at all. I've had two where the top film on the touch screen is cracking up and flaking off, making the screen look like poo. The first time was covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty (and they swapped it out), but the second time happened after that warranty, so I'm stuck with looking at a crappy screen.

#2, I'm enjoy using the Waze GPS app on my smartphone a lot more than I enjoy using the factory nav. It's way more up-to-date with new roads than my factory nav is (and unlike the factory nav, which costs $150+ to update the maps, the smartphone apps get the updates for free). It also does better with plotting better directions based on current traffic conditions (something my factory nav can do, but the traffic conditions on the factory nav always seem to be old/wrong). I also like how Waze lets drivers in front of you report the location of road hazards and police.

I was dead set on having factory nav with the JK I have now, but after having used it the last four years, for me, the feature set isn't worth the price they charge for it.

And like others, I'd be worried about having a decent aftermarket nav head unit in a vehicle as easy to break into as a Wrangler. So for me, it's my smartphone + a $16 iOttie mount that easily stores away when I'm not using it. :)

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Well I bought my 2013 with out NAV or a hardtop but it had everything else I wanted. A month later I traded my soft top for a 2013 hardtop, yes even trade... Then picked up a 2013 high end factory NAV unit for $400.00... I guess it is all about what you want and what kind of deal you can work because I love the factory NAV unit... Also got wholesale pricing ($540.00) on the factory 10th Anniversary Edition hood add $200.00 paint and I love the look of my Jeep & driving it is even better...

PS.
Just get the best deal on the closest equipped Jeep you can then finish it yourself.... Good Luck...

irish1371

Adventurer
yea i have done some research and I am now leaning twards the samsung note 3 for my on and off road nav. Thanks for the info guys I am glad to hear some of those negative sides to the factory nav unit. You don't usually get that info without finding out your self

Longtallsally

Adventurer
We have the middle of the road Nav and wouldn't do it any other way (I <might> contemplate the 730 next time for traffic, but technically smart phones do that even better). It's the same logic I use on the GS: I have a "road based" GPS and a trail GPS. I know that sounds silly, but it actually is much easier. The trails GPS is tiny (62s- the size of a cell phone), so if I leave the Jeep, it just goes in my pocket. The OEM one runs on the Garmin interface, and is just there whenever I want. Because it's OEM, chances of theft are minimal for obvious reasons and I don't have to remember to take a GPS with me, or worry about taking off a huge faceplate whenever I park it.

Is it the best GPS out there? Not even close. But for simple road based navigation, the convenience outweighs some of the performance concerns.

And it actually pretty well at recognizing roads:

_DSC0095-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears