Head to Head Match-up - 1999 E350 vs E250 - What would you buy and why?

zfmrchnt

Im a noob looking to get out more and have two vans to choose from.

E250 5.4L V8 100,935 RWD appears to be in good condition with minimal surface rust.

E350 7.3L V8 turbo diesel 215000 RWD also appears to be good condition.

I have never owned a diesel and have little knowledge on maintenance or on spot inspection points.

The diesel is popular and could up the resale value.

Any helpful opinions would be appreciated.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Based on just the info in your post, there's no real comparison. That 7.3 has it all over a 5.4, and the 350 vs 250 will net you greater cargo/towing capacity in the same package. No brainer except price/condition considerations.

Treenail

Adventurer
Twice as many miles on the body/chassis has to be considered. What difference does it make having an engine that goes for X00k miles when the body only lasts X00K miles???

Do you need the added GVW of the 350? What is the actual difference in capacity?

I had an '82 E250 with a high GVW with a 5.9l carbureted engine. I ran a tree service so it pulled heavy trailers and chippers occasionally. It went to the junk yard with 245k miles on it. The body was shot! Needed complete brakes down to the hubs, tranny [it would have been #3], engine oil leaks.

In the end...mileage on the vehicle is key to me.

Tom

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Twice as many miles on the body/chassis has to be considered. What difference does it make having an engine that goes for X00k miles when the body only lasts X00K miles???

Do you need the added GVW of the 350? What is the actual difference in capacity?

I had an '82 E250 with a high GVW with a 5.9l carbureted engine. I ran a tree service so it pulled heavy trailers and chippers occasionally. It went to the junk yard with 245k miles on it. The body was shot! Needed complete brakes down to the hubs, tranny [it would have been #3], engine oil leaks.

In the end...mileage on the vehicle is key to me.

Tom

Sounds like whoever owned the tree service didn't maintain his junk. If it went to the junkyard needing brakes that bad, they didn't maintain the brakes, plain and simple. Bodies can be more difficult depending on where you live, but mechanical comes down to maintenance. They either did it, or they didn't, and it sounds like they didn't.

There's a fella leasing property from me that has a 2001-ish superduty with 400k on the clock that's done pretty much nothing but routine maintenance on his truck as far as the engine and other mechanical. He did have to replace the bed because it's a work truck and between that and Ohio winters it gave up the ghost.

The OP said they both appear to be in similar condition. Based on his limited info I'd take the 7.3 without hesitation, even if I had to rebuild the tranny in the deal.

I've owned or currently own just about every engine Ford has offered in the diesel configuration from the 7.3 idi to the 6.7. Same goes for the gas excepting the new ecoboost and the 6.2.

On the gas side of things IMO if all you need is a 5.4 you don't need anything heavier than 150 class, and it shouldn't be in anything heavier. The power doesn't compare to the 6.8 and the fuel mileage advantage, especially when it's in the bigger trucks, is questionable at best.

On the diesel side: The 7.3 anything doesn't hold a candle to the 6.0 and later when it comes to power/torque. It also doesn't hold a candle to them when it comes to repair costs. The 6.0 on can eat you alive with repair costs when something goes south. For the average Joe a modern diesel is a ticking time bomb that they will absolutely love until they get hit with the bill for their first out of warranty major repair. Ford repair cost for a failed High Pressure Fuel Pump on a 6.4ltr diesel is north of $10,000.00, depending on the dealer. Though cheaper by far, you won't do well enough at a quality independent to make the tears go away.

Unless you are towing really heavy, doing it a lot, and/or making money off your 6.x diesel, it isn't worth the risk.

The 7.3 is a whole different story. It's plenty powerful enough for the average hauler. It's reliable and durable, and fairly inexpensive to repair when something goes south. You can buy a complete new Ford long block for less money than it costs to fix that aforementioned High Pressure Fuel Pump on the 6.4.

I have a 7.3 idi. A 6.0 and a 6.7. I've owned a few 5.4 in a truck and SUV config, and 3 different 6.8s the same way, though none of those currently. If I were to toss one from each category it would be the 5.4 and the 6.0. One just doesn't compare to its gas counterparts, and the other is a bit delicate in its factory config, and is expensive to fix when it breaks down, or expensive to fix in an attempt to make sure it doesn't break down.

Ok OP, you wanted reasons. There's a few. All things being equal in the feature/condition dept, I'll take that 7.3 every time.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
That isn't a challenging question.

Not sure I get what you mean if you're responding to me. The bulk of my post wasn't specific to the OP though it did speak to his question of "which and why", which I didn't really give in my first response.

Treenail

Adventurer
Greening,

Put the flamethrower down.

I owned it and maintained if from zero mile to junkyard. It worked hard for me and when it was junked the repairs exceeded the value.

Lots o' salt on the roads here in Minnesota. The floor had rusted around the rubber donuts between the frame. The metal around all of the donuts was like tin foil. Bottoms of doors...gone...and rust was eating its way up.

I did brake jobs regularly because of the heavy loads. The van was due to have EVERYTHING from the spindles out replaced. Not a hard job but the money sure adds up.

The tranny was in need of repair. First lasted to 120k...second to 240k...seemed reasonable with the work it did for me.

Engine...wow! It blew out the rear intake manifold gasket so a shop did the repair. The mechanic asked what I did to maintain the engine. Nothing special...cheapest gas I could find and oil changes about every 4k. Air filters on schedule too. He said that the inside of the engine was super clean. It was getting tired after 240k though. Big oil spots on the street. Too many and too much to consider repairing.

I never had to do any front end work either. But...it was due for replacing almost all wear items.

Add up the cost to a van with 240k on it?!?! Nope...to the salvage yard and get a newer one.

Soooo...in conclusion, would an E350 been better in my case? I doubt it because there wasn't much difference in capacity. The drivetrain held up like a champion. That van was one of the top five items I've ever owned in my life. The body was shot...that was the big determinant.

Also, before you start throwing wrenches at me you should know that I did, and do, maintain my equipment. How long would YOU expect brakes to last on a hard working vehicle?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
7.3 Powerstroke hands down. There's a reason people in the industry refer to them as the "Holy grail" vans. I shopped around for over a year seriously and closer to two years casually looking for the right one.
If you are converting it to 4wd you'll be replacing the front end components anyways.

zfmrchnt

I will see both vans in person next week.

Minimal initial towing required, DR650, possible small camper maybe hardware store supply runs.

At this point, I have been informed that E250 does have slight oil seepage from the head gasket. "nothing major but now they are considering putting the van up for auction." The price has recently been dropped.

No real information about the E350 - looks like it is parked outside in a yard of someone flipping cars. Person I spoke with did not know much about the history and was in a big hurry to get off the phone.

Thanks

Im a noob looking to get out more and have two vans to choose from.

E250 5.4L V8 100,935 RWD appears to be in good condition with minimal surface rust.

E350 7.3L V8 turbo diesel 215000 RWD also appears to be good condition.

I have never owned a diesel and have little knowledge on maintenance or on spot inspection points.

The diesel is popular and could up the resale value.

Any helpful opinions would be appreciated.

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
At this point, I have been informed that E250 does have slight oil seepage from the head gasket.

The 7.3 leaks oil too. :p

Still, but the diesel.

Oh right...and why. I bought the diesel because I want a van that will last a long time, is easy to work on and will do anything I need, whether it be road trek to Utah or pull a small mountain.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm happy with the power, economy, and reliability of the 7.3 E350 I've got with similar mileage. They are said to go about 500K miles without major work (or more).

5.4s have a good reputation, but it's a $800 job to change the plugs in these parts... and they break easily if not done right.

If you buy the Diesel, you'll likely need an O-Ring kit, Glow plugs, and a Monster Glow plug relay from DieselORings.com (I've been impressed with his service and products).

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm happy with the power, economy, and reliability of the 7.3 E350 I've got with similar mileage. They are said to go about 500K miles without major work (or more).

5.4s have a good reputation, but it's a $800 job to change the plugs in these parts... and they break easily if not done right.

If you buy the Diesel, you'll likely need an O-Ring kit, Glow plugs, and a Monster Glow plug relay from DieselORings.com (I've been impressed with his service and products).

The 5.4s (and 6.8s) also have a tendency to bust exhaust manifold bolts, usually because they've rusted away, and every one I've had had break was on the passenger side. Drivers side were never an issue. No rust, no breakage...go figure. Never really gave it too much thought but I wonder if there is a rain water drainage path that causes that, or possibly the A/C system.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My comment was toward the OP.

In other words, 7.3 or(2005+) V10... nothing else to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger