Headlight bulbs - upgrade?

beerhiker

Adventurer
Looking to get better light using stock headlight housing on my 04, what's a good upgrade that will not break the bank and is long lasting? I'm seeing that some of these upgraded bulbs do not like daytime running lights and burn out quickly, I do not want to change housing or have to re-wire anything, looking for direct replacement. What say you?

KK6POV

Adventurer
I am in the same boat. I feel like our lights would be better replaced by candles due to lack of brightness. One option is upgrade the wiring harness.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I have spent a fair amount of time researching this very topic recently.
Basically it sounds like if you want to stay with the factory lights, you need to first do one of the many "upgraded relay harnesses" that are available such as this one from headlightservices. Then add higher wattage bulbs of your choice, all the best options are on headlightservices also.

The harnesses are plug and play, as well as the bulbs obviously. A third of the way down under "Try before you buy" on THIS page from 4crawler describes how to test how much voltage drop your vehicle has at the headlights to determine whether or not the harness is needed. Most of the time there is a noticeable voltage drop.

I know you say you want direct replacement. But in my research what I decided for my self was to skip all of the above and go directly to a HID retrofit. I have ordered THIS kit from theretrofitsource.com and since I have a 99 I also need new housings as well.
I should have everything this coming week and will try and get them knocked out. I can update you with how it goes if your interested.

seanpistol

Explorer
I threw some PIAA X-treme white bulbs in mine and they are noticeably brighter and whiter color than stock. The bulb itself has a blue tint on it, but the light is not blue.

climber-420

Adventurer
Looking to get better light using stock headlight housing on my 04, what's a good upgrade that will not break the bank and is long lasting? I'm seeing that some of these upgraded bulbs do not like daytime running lights and burn out quickly, I do not want to change housing or have to re-wire anything, looking for direct replacement. What say you?

I had the DTRL on mine, but disabled them, and am planning on going with the PIAA as well.

paranoid56

Adventurer
do the harness upgrade first. then look at bulbs. however, remember that any bulb that has any type of coating on it will reduce the amount of light.

jsnow

Adventurer
I run IPF bulbs from ARB, and have noticed a huge improvement. If you want to go a little further they have a wiring kit that is super easy to install, and will make the lights even brighter, although it's not exactly cheap.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
https://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/Zeus-LED-Headlight-Pair_p_161.html

Fixing to order a set of these. I've read some good reviews, haven't looked at piaa yet though.

A head light with moving parts huh? Be advised that one of the reviews on their own site says that the fan stops working sometimes and the light turns off. IF they actually produce a good light pattern and cutoff (unlike hid retrofit) it might be interesting. But the cheap little fan on the back would concern me.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
A head light with moving parts huh? Be advised that one of the reviews on their own site says that the fan stops working sometimes and the light turns off. IF they actually produce a good light pattern and cutoff (unlike hid retrofit) it might be interesting. But the cheap little fan on the back would concern me.

Yea, you're probably right, but you never know the outcome till you try. 115$ is a drop in the hat compared to some of the kit we buy lol. Plus if they break down too much, I can find a way to re-purpose them for another use. Cheers, Hudsen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998