Headroom in a Toyota

Kirby McRae

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a vehicle to take me on expeditions and adventures, but being really tall I'm not sure what my options are. I have been looking hard at either a 1st gen Tacoma or a 3rd gen 4runner, however I am 6'8" and I am not sure that I will be comfortable driving either of these. Are there modifications that can be done to create more head/leg room? Additionally, if neither of these are practical, what are some other vehicles with more room?

Thanks,
Kirby

I am 6'6" and have had 4 first gen Tacomas without any issue with headroom. Only issue I have had is with the latest truck. It is an automatic and the transfer case lever dug into the back of my calf/knee area and got annoying on long drives. I bent it forward and to the passenger side with some forces and now it is fine. The manual trucks do not have the lever there and are not an issue. I recommend finding one and taking a longer test ride.

Joe

EDIT: Welcome to EXPO!

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
My son-in-law is 6'6" and he's not real comfortable (nor real uncomfortable) in my 02 4Runner, but he does fit. No sunroof would make it a little better (gain an inch or so). There isn't much that can be done to lower the seats (they are also pretty narrow - just right for 'normal' sized people). I guess you could cut out the front seat riser and mount the seat to the floor (perhaps with some added support) and rework the rear seat brackets (or get different seats). That might gain you a couple of inches. (I've been 'under' the seats lately mounting a secure box - a Fort Knox safe, so I know what's under there!) The front leg room is also pretty narrow. I think the 2nd gen Tacomas (and 4th gen 4Runners) have quite a bit more room.

Zaphod

Adventurer
With a stature like that, I'd be looking at the newest Trooper I could find. I'm 6'3" and switched from a Trooper to a 4G4R, and it felt like I was in a sports car until I got used to it. It's fine now, but the trooper had HUGE headroom.

kanger

Observer
Wow, that's a lot of height. I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner at at 6'1", I'm okay with head room. Def won't have much clearance with your height, unless you prefer driving leaning way back. You can always get one with a sunroof and pop your head out...

fowldarr

Explorer
I know on some years of landcruisers people have been known to extend the brackets so the seat will move further rearward, so that may be a possibility as well

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I love the 04 and older toyotas but I'm 6 foot 220 and I am more comfortable in the newer style vehicles. Seats are wider, more headroom and legs/knees fit in much better. I have a buddy who is 6'4 240 and often rides with me in my 01 reg cab but we look damn silly and he would not be comfortable on a 3+ hour trip. I'm good with the bench seat since I don't feel pinched like I do in the "captain" style chairs. That said, the first gen Tundras are fine for me. I had an 02 and the seats in that were wide enough and there is lots more headroom in that truck over a Tacoma of the same year.

I sat in and test drove a 2012 tundra with the work package (vinyl seats, rubber floors) while my truck was getting some exhaust work done and if I could get one with a 6spd manual, I'd be sold in a heartbeat. I would miss my manual T-case lever but everything else works better for me. So much space and the stripped down truck didn't have too much going on inside.

So either a first gen/second gen Tundra, any of the landcruisers, 03 and newer 4runner, 05 and newer Tacos I think would be more comfortable for you. Depends how much gas you want to burn and how small of a trail you might want to fit down.

-jorge

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
3rd gens have piss poor headroom, especially with the sun roof. 2nd gens are better; both 4runner and pickup have adequate headroom for me at 6'5". You may need to try out a few different models on a car lot. Any Land Cruiser from '91 and up would probably work. Older ones have decent headroom but midget legroom.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
6'6"

FJ, Sequoia and Tundras are very comfortable.

Once had an FJ80 in the family and it was tight. Never had much luck in 4Runners. FJ40 would be NFW...

Bigger Tacomas are OK.

Venza is surprisingly very comfortable both front and rear seats. I've rented plenty of Rav4s that were actually nice in terms of room.

The Lexus RX is cramped for me.

J

JWP58

My buddy is 6'7-8 and he was pretty cramped in my regular cab Tacoma on a hunting trip....he was glad it was only a 1.5hr drive. However in my 2010 Double cab TRD he had plenty of room.

jCubed

Adventurer
You might look at the Tundra as well. It is a bigger truck with plenty of headroom. Welcome.

I have a 2012 Tundra Double cab and I can lay down in the backseat, little bending but nothing crazy. And I'm 6' 210lbs.

Overall, I love the Tundra and wouldn't consider anything smaller for DD and toy.

Tacoma's can't haul a 10000 lbs trailer either. I like the nimbleness of Tacoma's and FJ's, maybe I just carry to much stuff. :) FWIW

Wainiha

Explorer
6'6" and 270lbs.

The cab is small on my 2000 Tacoma. My head touches the ceiling. The seat is too small. I love the truck but w/o head clearance it is an issue when hitting bumps offroad.

juicebox

Adventurer
Really, the only thing I didn't like about my '02 was the headroom/size issue. I always felt I had to hunch over while driving it. If I was the first person at a stop light, I'd have no idea when the light would turn green because in order to see it I'd have to have my chin right up against the steering wheel.

I'm only 6'3"/200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears