Heat Exchangers

KD702

So due to living in an area with colder climates about 6 months out of the year (November-April), I would be using this all but December-Feb. We (I think I talked two of my buddies into installing these) plan on making it easy to blow out the fresh water lines and heat exchanger. From what I am able to gather, the temps of the vehicle coolant should not damage this if the fresh water portion of the heat exchanger is dry.....Correct? There should be no worry of warping the plates?

KD702

To be honest I have not had great luck with propane units. I am mainly looking for a shower. I don't mind running the truck to do it. For washing dishes I will still use the propane I have onboard.

g_m

To be honest I have not had great luck with propane units. I am mainly looking for a shower. I don't mind running the truck to do it. For washing dishes I will still use the propane I have onboard.
Used a copper tube in tube exchanger decades ago. Bring a tub, cooler, or? Put the pump in the lake, creek or? and fill the tub. Move the pump to the tub. Put the shower head or? in the tub. Let the pump (and truck) run until the tub is the temp your missus wants. Move the shower head to the shower stall and sit back and enjoy the praise.

J!m

The temperature and volume are fine for showering. And a cup of tea. I don’t even use the tiny water saver head I used in Africa- just the one that came with the shower valve.

Yes you must clear the clear water side of the plate or it will be damaged in freezing temps. And not 32- that would probably be okay but in the 20’s or less for sure. This is what happened to mine. Perhaps the onboard air could be plumbed via a a solenoid for easy clearing if freezing is a larger concern. I’ll just open the clear side and drain it.

The coolant side will not freeze unless the antifreeze concentration in your engine is insufficient. Everything is at risk then.

But if you want to rolling boil large volumes of water, fire is the best way off grid.

wirenut

Adventurer
This is quite popular in the US actually. Most motorhomes and a lot of boats use the engine to heat water for the "house".

J!m

If 1/4" ID is sufficient, I'd go with these...

KD702

The Heat Exchanger worked wonderfully this weekend. Added a mixing and it prevented that short blast of hot from stopping and starting the water flow. I will add some pictures when I finish fabricating the brackets for a permanent home for the quick connects. I would 100% recommend this. Thanks for all the help!
KD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior