Heat Recovery Ventilators

calameda

Anyway, i decided i’m building my own HRV with filters, a very high efficiency insulated aluminum core that is washable, PWM adjustable speed high efficiency fans with DC brushless motors w/sound deadening material, in a package that is suitable for van (or RV) life.

Sounds ideal! any interest in building more? Then sell your business to Dometic? :)

TAOspinner

There are more issues with these:
1. inlet and outlet air are in the same location
2. the core becomes contaminated over time.
3. dehumidifying is based on the % of moisture in the intake ( see reason 1 ) air.

Best is a dehumidifier and/or cold air inlet to the furnace or to a hydronic air handler View attachment 816162 and an open vent/window to discharge moist air.
Adding an outside vent to the heater is the cheapest option but it actually is no better that opening a window as far as efficiency goes because now the heater is having to heat that cold air instead of the cabin air requiring much more energy to do so.

Last edited:

TAOspinner

Sounds ideal! any interest in building more? Then sell your business to Dometic? :)
After testing the one i build, I’d definitively consider building more. I’ll need to create special vent covers for the fresh and exhaust. Anyone desire to help with this? 🙂
A 3D printed model would be great to start with…

TAOspinner

So I did a bit more digging into the Lunas eGO as well as the E2 units.
And again, HRV units have their place, but you have to decide whether or not it is justified for your use case.

For those interested in these... there are a couple of items Id suggest you look into further
There doesnt look to be sufficient data for both the E2 and the eGO, so data looks to overlap... YMMV
But extreme cold operation and noise are two concerns of mine, besides what Ive already expressed in the thread so far.

For extreme cold... this seems like a legit issue. 35% ? Thats awfully low.

53475813156_22c9b5072a_b.jpg

Which seems contrary to this claim with regards to frosting, claiming testing and operation down to -32 without "active prost protection"
53474919137_5ee810ca4d_o.jpg

And finally, specific to the eGO, the noise issue. Looks like up to 38dB, which would definitely bother me....
especially when you factor in the oscillation. The fans cycle back and forth.... constantly

53476129914_0e36aa13e7_b.jpg

Yes, because the unit is not insulated from the outside air, humid cabin air will more easily condense and freeze near the outer portion of the inlet. Also, the fan is on the inside of the core which creates a lower pressure on the inlet side further reducing the air’s temperature.
Another problem with these single source units is that during the outflow a low pressure condition is created within the cabin. There is no way around it that air will infiltrate through small cracks in the air barrier of the cabin thereby negating the purpose.

Alloy

Adding an outside vent to the heater is the cheapest option but it actually is no better that opening a window as far as efficiency goes because now the heater is having to heat that cold air instead of the cabin air requiring much more energy to do so.
Adding and an outside vent to the heater is better because the wasted heat if the exhaust can be used the heat the incoming air.

This is a concentric vent I made.

20171127_125615.jpg

Seaweed

Interesting thread, we have Lunos HRV units in our house in VT. It isn’t completely passive/net zero but close and they are awesome keeping the air quality high in the winter. We turn them off for the summer when we start opening windows.

draku

I bookmarked these a while ago when I saw the price of the Lunos devices. You can't really compete with a ceramic core but looks like a fun project and quite doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior