Heating a small trailer

alia176

Explorer
I'd be all for a diesel parking heater, but I heard one in operation at the snow resort parking lot and it made a heck of a racket. I've been watching YT vids and they confirm that there is significant fan and fuel pump noise. The catalytic heaters, such as the Olympic are silent. Do you have some experience with the parking heaters and if so, are they audible?

You're absolutely correct, cheap/chinese heaters make more noise, and often stop working prematurely (see my post above) than the units they've been copying for the last five years or so. My Espar is quiet and so is my previous Espar of 20 years of age. The fuel pumps are quieter and they provide a decent sound reduction kit for the intake AND exhaust stream. Let's face it, there's only so many ways to make combustion from diesel so not much can be done about the "roaring" sound when they're at or near rated capacity.

alia176

Explorer
Here is a video featuring the Webasco heater...the author is skilled in voicing the heater's sound...haha.
My gal and I turn the cooler off when we sleep; guessing we could just shut off the heater too. But when the heaters are starting up or running when it's super cold out the fan is pretty loud. Often I'm stealth camping when passing through towns or chilling in a ski resort area. Not sure I want to sound like a jet taking off.

100% agree, they do sound like jet taking off. I've worked with the exhaust stream on my previous Espar unit since I've owned it for 10+ years. I think I tried few different mufflers made for small lawn mowers to see what did the highest amount of dB reduction.

Sounds like stealth is very important in your case and I bet with some trial/error, you'll come up with a solution that works for you.

On the inside of your camping space, placing the heater in a soundproof box is all you usually need to quiet it down. Even with a chinese diesel heater same thing applies.

edit: i forgot to mention that my gal turns on her diesel heater with a FOB from the bed and that sound is the "heaven opening up", according to her. I put the outlet of the heater in her camper bathroom so the floor and toilet seat are quiet comfy :D

Last edited:

mike21070

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I don't have much experience with this, so I wasn't sure what to look for. I've looked at the Mr. Buddy, but I guess my concern is going to sleep with this thing on and never waking up due to poisoning.

I'm not familiar with the diesel furnace, so I'll take a look.

Fishythekid

I spent a whole winter camping in an off road trailer all the way down to 9 degrees. We did a 3 month trip and we used a Mr, Buddy and never had a problem with condensation. As long as you vent the trailer. We had the motorized fan on the roof and it took all the condensation out while the heater ran. And I could use the fan to regulate the temp. If it was too hot just opened the fan a little more. The only time we had problems with condensation is when it was snowing. Because the fan had a rain sensor and would close and shut off. So then the heater would shut off because it has an automatic shut off if it senses carbon. And then the heat of our bodies would build condensation in the trailer. So you don't have to worry about dying. I have since sold that trailer and use RTT's and still heat them the same way by having 2 vents in the tent. The Mr. Buddy sits in a window that is opened and I vent the tent across from the buddy to pull all condensation and carbon out.

alia176

Explorer
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I don't have much experience with this, so I wasn't sure what to look for. I've looked at the Mr. Buddy, but I guess my concern is going to sleep with this thing on and never waking up due to poisoning.

I realize that some of us sound very doom and gloom but Mr Buddy heater has been around for ages and for a good reason. They work and will shut themselves off before you get "shut off"!!!!

Enjoy the rabbit hole!!

Trail Talk

FWIW I tested a similar Martin catalytic propane heater by running it for 15 minutes in the closed bathroom (no fan running either). There was zero CO produced according to my monitor, even during startup. It did get pretty toasty in there though.

lucilius

Yes, I work in and around commercial trucks and play with campery things incessantly. I've had a CDH, a Planar, An Espar, a Webasto and now a Lavaner in my newest van build. The fuel pumps (mounted outside the vehicle) do click audibly but you can muffle them if they bother you. They don't bother me. But you said that you heard one outside of the vehicle? Try inside where you actually are. Not trying to be an a**. They aren't silent but noise is in the ear of the beholder, as it were. Inside, unless it's running full tilt, it makes no more noise than a fridge fan humming along.

The quietest and most reliable I have had is actually a Webasto, which I've heard the most bad things about before getting one. This is neither here nor there though and I'll shut up about these to attempt to steer us back on topic.

No shortage of info on diesel furnaces. It's everywhere these days.
+1. My experience is with diesel Espar D4 airtronic and D5WSC hydronic systems (Espar also makes gas systems and I have heard multiple excellent things about Webasto as well). While i have no doubt less expensive options can be contrived, I recommend both if you need reliable, safe and effective winter heating. They do require some thought in their placement, a competent installation and occasional maintenance like most things but none of it is particularly difficult or tool-intensive. The noise is minimal once they get warmed up, i actually find it reassuring on a cold and windy night. They use minimal fuel and electric power. The airtronic is excellent for drying out gear like ski boots, gloves, etc. My hydronic has been flawless, low-maintenance and can, depending on your setup, be used to both provide domestic hot water and warm your engine, which is essential in the cold if your vehicle is a diesel. IMO, it would come down to (a) how often you intend to be camping in the cold and (b) how cold it is going to get where you are camped to determine how much time and $$$ to invest.....and always to be absolutely safe and ENSURE your camper has at least one window a bit open and not in danger of being covered by snow and ice buildup no matter how cold it is outside.

lucilius

Based on the 2 pictures on the company website, the heater unit in the Intech Flyer looks like it takes up considerable space, which always seems to be a challenge in a camper, that you might be able to reclaim if you went with a different heater setup. I will add that Espar has a newer, small airtronic heater that you might look into, the S2, which would use less fuel, has a quieter pump, motor/blower and automatic altitude adjustment. I find the amount of heat the D4 produces to be much more than adequate and would definitely downsize if I for some reason needed to replace my units or bought a new rig. I've used Esparparts.com for over a decade as a great source for advice and parts. They are professionals and very helpful as you compare options. https://esparparts.com/espar-airtronic-s2d2l-commercial-p-25532.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179