Heating RTT in winter?

Hey guys, first off I would like to thank all of you that have posted your build-up's on here!! it has really helpd me with my research in how to go about building my expedition trailer. And I will be sure to post my build when I start in the spring!!

But one thing that I have not been able to figure out is how to heat up the RTT in winter time.... There are a couple of photo's of a Tacco pulling a expedtion trailer in winter (the one with the buffalo in the background is by far the best) And I want to know who he does it. I have seen one tent heater for about $800... is that my only option??

I wont be using the setup as much in winter but there are times that I would if I could find an economical way to heat (and maintain heat)..

what are the safe options here that you guys have found??? or am I SOL???

Thanks alot guys!!

bucketosudz

Explorer
There are many conversations on this very subject. Anything from 12v electric blankets, water bottles and Zodi style heaters. Give the Search feature a whirl, your not alone in your inquiry.

Welcome to the Portal!

wow thanks for all the responces, I did do a small search and came up with the 12V electric blanket option, but I don't think that would keep me warm enough in a Canadian winter, but the two external heaters are more the type of thing I was looking for, has anyone used either before? how well do they work?

thnks again

We have the HeatSource propane heaters http://www.adventuretrailers.com/heaters.html

No the least expensive, but the best.

yes this is the one unit that I was reffering to, I think I would need something like this to heat the tent if I want to use it in a Canadian winter... what is the set up like?? do you use an external mount and run heating tubes into the tent?? or is there no mount and set up an other way??

Thanks

mrchips

Adventurer
I have not had any problems with the cold in my Eezi-awn, just bring the down comforter from home, and an extra wool cover, and the wife and I sleep very warm, if it is ultra cold pull a beenie cap on my head and all is toasty. In the morning, pull your clothes in under the covers for a few minutes, warm them up, seems to work well for us both. Don't want to breath warm air in all night, fresh air is more refreshing.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
yes this is the one unit that I was reffering to, I think I would need something like this to heat the tent if I want to use it in a Canadian winter... what is the set up like?? do you use an external mount and run heating tubes into the tent?? or is there no mount and set up an other way??

Thanks

We have fitted the unit in the FlipPac conversions, Teardrops trailers and the Oasis prototype. To fit it to a RTT you would need to put the unit in a box, possibly a larger ammo box and run the propane line into the box, the exteral air into the box, and the hot air out of the box. You also need a 12 volt connection for the fan.

It wouldn't be a huge job, I know people who have done the exact thing with diesel heaters that are set up the same way.

OldSven

Explorer
I have not had any problems with the cold in my Eezi-awn, just bring the down comforter from home, and an extra wool cover, and the wife and I sleep very warm, if it is ultra cold pull a beenie cap on my head and all is toasty. In the morning, pull your clothes in under the covers for a few minutes, warm them up, seems to work well for us both. Don't want to breath warm air in all night, fresh air is more refreshing.

We do the same thing with ours, but I will have to say it is still a shock to get out of the sleeping bag and it is 30 degrees inside:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78