Heavy Duty Bumpers for Expedition/Overland Use: Practical Necessity or Superfluous an

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well i look at most aftermarket bumpers as a joke. there to heavy and ugly. The last good looking bumper was made by warn. Runell makes a fair bumper but over heavy. You do not need to build a bumper to witstand a train. The last bumper i build is a mix of 1/4 3/16 and even 1/8th. Its on a dura max and has held well for years did finaly get a dent in the 1/8 cover. One man can install it with no help. Living in Wyoming it has hit many a antalope with no issues. The bumper i am building for budget beater will be much like it.

The only reason is a critter getter and they look better but you dont need that giant 200lb ranch hand bumper. I also say the bolt over the stock bumpers ones they sell now are not worth your money.

toymaster

Explorer
The need for a heavy bumper increases as your usage increases. A heavy duty bumper is an extension of your frame for the reasons already stated: recovery point, accessory attachment, protection. If you need these things then you need a heavy duty bumper; if you do not need these things then it is for show.

I have a 'ranch hand' style bumper I made for my F350 back in 2001 which has more than paid for itself. I've hit three mule deer without a scratch on my truck. I'm sure I would have hit more but the last six years the truck as basically been parked. On my JK they serve all the purposes mentioned and could not/would not image keeping the 10lb plastic bumpers on a vic built for the off-road.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
The need for a heavy bumper increases as your usage increases. A heavy duty bumper is an extension of your frame for the reasons already stated: recovery point, accessory attachment, protection. If you need these things then you need a heavy duty bumper; if you do not need these things then it is for show.

Just to take the opposing view (since most people seem to be supportive of heavy duty bumpers), one could argue that there are often lighter ways to create recovery points and winch mounts then installing a full-sized heavy duty steel bumper. Same with swing out tire holders, fuel can racks, etc.

But I agree, as many have pointed out, that some stock bumpers these days may as well be made of cardboard. And I also agree with you, toymaster, and some other posters here that heavy duty, full coverage steel bumpers probably make sense if you often bash big things including animals (assuming that driving at slower speeds is not a viable option).

Here are a few links arguing for moderation for the sake of weight savings:
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overlan...is-gross-vehicle-weight-rating-overrated.html
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_1110_50_ways_to_lighten_your_jeep/viewall.html

My gut instinct is that there's a lot of wisdom in the keep it simple, keep it mostly stock kinda mentality. That being said, sometimes there are d*mn good reasons to make upgrades and that goes for heavy duty bumpers too I suppose.

One problem, as several of you have pointed out, is that sometimes you don't know that you need a heavy duty bumper until after it's already too late... kinda like insurance.

colodak

Adventurer
I got mine after a rock took out the lower portion of my original setup. Originally I had the stock bumper with a push bar/winch mount to house my lights and winch. Few years back, nailed a rock on a trail, bent the lower bar, tweaked the whole mounting and was actually bending my frame rails from stress. As for weight, well, I saved 20 lbs going from steel cable to synthetic line while with the old setup. Previously, I had a 35 lb bumper, 7lb valance, 100 lb pushbar, and 70 lb winch, and 5 lbs of lights. Now, I have a 70 lb winch, 110 lb bumper, and 5 lbs of lights. The truck still sits the same in the front, but now looks like it will survive an IED attack.

911regular

Adventurer
bumper front.jpg

definetly see the benefits to a massive bumper, but something like this seems more practical for a full size seeing off highway use. But,,,,a massive Mad Max front end looks pretty bad ***** too.

Attachments

• warn bumper.jpg
    warn bumper.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 102

Abel Villesca

Explorer
But I agree, as many have pointed out, that some stock bumpers these days may as well be made of cardboard. And I also agree with you, toymaster, and some other posters here that heavy duty, full coverage steel bumpers probably make sense if you often bash big things including animals (assuming that driving at slower speeds is not a viable option).

One problem, as several of you have pointed out, is that sometimes you don't know that you need a heavy duty bumper until after it's already too late... kinda like insurance.

The kind of off-road trails you drive also may determine your need for a heavy duty bumper. There are occasional obstacles that beg (or require) you to rub up against them to get over them or force you to drive the nose of your rig into the dirt or rock at the bottom of them. I've done several trails that included such obstacles and I am always much less concerned about my heavy duty bumper being scratched than my companions running rigs with stock plastic bumpers are.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I agree that stock bumpers suck. But they don't half to be heavy to be useful. Just remember that improper mounting and extra weight can also cause damage all on there own. I will post pictures in the am of good light weight bumpers.

toymaster

Explorer
Just to take the opposing view (since most people seem to be supportive of heavy duty bumpers), one could argue that there are often lighter ways to create recovery points and winch mounts then installing a full-sized heavy duty steel bumper. Same with swing out tire holders, fuel can racks, etc...

Yes, the argument is there and valid. With this scenario you are only giving up protection for the vic's body.

I by no means am advocating going over a reasonable GVWR.

Family-on-motorcycle-Herat.jpg

Nor do I like a person that buys a ton and half truck derates it by putting on lessor tires and only carries around 3-4K in payload. (for reference a 1 1/2 truck i.e. F550 or dodge 5500 have a rear axle rating of 13,500lbs and a GVWR of 19,500). Why would you spend the extra money for a heavy truck then neuter it? Same with the opposite example of someone buying a small SUV or 1/2 ton truck and overloading it.

The overland magazine article you linked is a good example. The other article you linked was geared toward making a specific type of sport jeep that does not really apply to overlanding. On another forum there is a dude giving his jeep anorexia he has even removed his sway bars for the sake of weight savings; this is just as unsafe as driving on public roads overloaded.

I say form should follow function. For your chosen vic you have a limited amount of available payload use it as your activities dictate. Costs and benefits must be weighed. You show awareness of the trade-offs if your activities are set and your vic is overloaded well, it time to upgrade :coffee:.

XJINTX

Explorer
Sorry I did not read all posts :( However, I also run rock sliders on my off road / expodition vehicles. Yes very seldom needed but on a recent trip the leader was in a nice new jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. We rounded a corner and there was a rock slide and rocks we had o cross. He spent a long time getting spotted over those rocks and still ripped and damaged both rocker panels and his wife was pretty mad. I followed with sliders and drove right over / past the rocks... scratches no damage.

I too have winch bumper for reasons stated and rear bumper for spare tire... NO REGRETS!!!!

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I have a fabricator building up tight fitting rock sliders for my Burb the drivers side will include a skid plate for my aux fuel tank then some drive-shaft hoops will be installed to prevent tank damage if u-joints on drive shaft fails, I think that will just about cover my custom goodies under vehicle.

Next, I plan expanded alloy guards installed over windows outside of vehicle w/interior release on each.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I had my rear bumper designed to eliminate the bulk found on so many bumpers. It's functional, strong and practical.

Here's a side profile picture. The bumper fits much closer and provides more ground clearance than the OEM bumper while also being stronger.
IMG_4280.jpg

Rear shot.
IMG_4268.jpg

I would agree with the above statement regarding usage dictating the need... It's like the story about the cowboy that brags about never being bucked off a horse. He hasn't ridden many horses then.

zidaro

Explorer
I had my rear bumper designed to eliminate the bulk found on so many bumpers. It's functional, strong and practical.

Here's a side profile picture. The bumper fits much closer and provides more ground clearance than the OEM bumper while also being stronger.
IMG_4280.jpg

nice looking bumper

Terrainist

Explorer
After backing into a few campsites at night.... wish I had taken off my previously straight rear bumper and sold it. Now have to scrap it and replace with something worth while. A stock bumper will crumple at 3 mph when hit head on by a 30" diameter tree. Disgraceful really, so much window dressing... something called a "bumper" that you can't bump into things with.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Like others here, I never sought out a custom bumper, but when I got into a minor accident that was the other driver's fault I was faced with the choice of replacing the bumper with an inadequate stock one, or a custom one.

I went with the tube style, even though I'll be the first to say it's not the prettiest thing. Like grapefruit juice, it's an acquired taste, I've come to like the Mad Max look but it took a while.

2011_0827_172808AA.jpg

Besides the other benefits mentioned (place to mount a winch, recovery points, more rugged than stock, etc) I'm a little surprised that nobody yet has mentioned the improvement in the approach angle. Modern vehicles all seem to have these low-hanging air dams, probably to improve airflow and to eke out that last little bit of fuel economy (so as to get closer to CAFE standards.) But that low approach angle can hurt you when you're approaching a steep rocky road.

My Addicted Off Road bumper only weighs 18lbs more than the stock parts it replaced, which is a negligible weight difference. The ability to add a winch and the increase in approach angle is worth the "unconventional" look.

Another plus for tube bumpers is that they are generally less costly than plate (ARB or Shrockworks-style) bumpers. In my case, the cost of the AOR bumper was about $20 more than the cost of the stock parts that would have been purchased to replace what needed replacing anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12