Hello everyone!

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Hiya folks!
Just introducing myself.. picked up an 89 e150 conversion van last week, for the longest time I have wanted to do a 4x4 camper, and this is what I am going to use.. already got the front suspension lined up from a 78 bronco with a manual hubbed dana 44, going to use the bronco radius arms, and panhard bar, going to retain the vans coil springs, going for as minimal of a lift as i can, as its got plenty of ground clearance already, still debating on weather I want to retain the original aod and run a divorced t-case, or swap it out for a 4x4 aod and t-case. the transmission that's in there only has 120k on it and works perfect so as of right now I'm leaning towards the divorced case, as for the living arrangements i am torn right now, since I'm handy with fiberglass I am thinking about adding 6-10" to the fiberglass top so one can stand completely up inside, i would also add a box at the rear to run a standard AC unit so i don't have to shell out big bucks for an RV one. also i am tempted to remove the fold out bed and make a hinge out pop up portion that would unfold and pop up over the nose making a full size bed, freeing up the back for a bathroom / shower a bigger counter top, and room for a few cabinets and drawers.. the other way is leave the top alone with the exception of adding the AC box, and putting a small counter for a fridge, sink and stove behind the drivers seat. The deciding factor is weather or not I want to do that much work. the grey water tank will reside in the space between the left frame rail and rocker, the propane tank will live on the other open space on the other side, and the generator will hang off the back bumper... since this has quite a bit of real estate between the wheels, i will be adding rock sliders to protect the coach stuff as well as keep it from getting high centered... so thats the plan. heres a picture! just stock for now.. just got it last week lol...
vanman_zpsf074eedc.jpg

Itsavanman

Adventurer
they say it has a 302, bought it with a miss, was certain it needed an injector or something small, turns out it needs an exhaust valve on cylinder #8. it was pinging at high rpms, and the plenum gasket was wet, and plenum bolts were loose, so looks like it had a vacuum leak which caused the fubar valve in cylinder 8... should have the heads off today to do a valve job, will measure the bore when i have em off to be sure.. sticker says it has a 302 too, so it should be.. if the pistons and cylinder walls are in good shape, I might weld up a log manifold and bolt on a T04B turbo i have had for years to force feed the engine.. should then move this pig with authority lol...

FEDUPWBS

Observer
A turbo would transform that thing from weeper to reaper! Probably a real dog without some help. Would be well worth the effort.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
I think the turbo would definitely wake it up.. I am still torn.. pulled the heads off this morning, cylinder walls and pistons look good.. but the heads are trashed.. all the intake valves failed the water test, (flipping the head over and pouring water in the combustion chambers) and there is a gnarly crack between the intake and exhaust valve on cylinder 8 so over the machine shop i went, he is going to scare up a good cylinder head casting and do a valve job, hopefully next week the motor will be back together...

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Don't spend a dime on that 302. Find a good donor late model Bronco or F150 with a 351, and also use the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts and front Dana 44 TTB.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
still waiting on the heads to be done at the machine shop.. hopefully going to scrape the old gaskets off the block to get this thing back together tomorrow.. today I am not doing anything.. except maybe taking a nap lol...

Itsavanman

Adventurer
procrastinating on scraping the block, maybe later today i will.. maybe i wont lol looks like the heads should be done by the end of next week, and today, going to look at a pop up camper to donate its bits and pieces to the van...

Itsavanman

Adventurer
get to test out my generator that will eventually wind up on the back of the van either today or tomorrow, depending on when the power lines get blown down lol.. anyone else ready for sandy?

Itsavanman

Adventurer
so, with the van still down, Had a few weeks to mill the idea of a pop up for the top, its nice to have the head room to fully stand up, but that in itself is not enough for the added top weight, so the plan is to add a pop up to the top with a slide out bed like in a pop up camper, picking up all the bits and pieces i need today for the most part for the class B conversion, still need to score a faucet, and a horizontal propane tank though, but everything else is in line. for the extra top weight, thinking about adding thicker front and rear sway bars with disconnects for when its out on the trail, so it won't handle like the top heavy pig it is now. but so far just some sketches and a whole lot of day dreaming lol. hopefully soon a picture...

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
so, with the van still down, Had a few weeks to mill the idea of a pop up for the top, its nice to have the head room to fully stand up, but that in itself is not enough for the added top weight, so the plan is to add a pop up to the top with a slide out bed like in a pop up camper, picking up all the bits and pieces i need today for the most part for the class B conversion, still need to score a faucet, and a horizontal propane tank though, but everything else is in line. for the extra top weight, thinking about adding thicker front and rear sway bars with disconnects for when its out on the trail, so it won't handle like the top heavy pig it is now. but so far just some sketches and a whole lot of day dreaming lol. hopefully soon a picture...

There is/was a person on here, I think its Colorado Camper Van, that did something like this....

Itsavanman

Adventurer
found out the rockers were toast too, but it just so happened my friend had a set of 1.72 roller rockers he got for a mustang he sold a while ago, they are supposed to add 10hp but its at the top end, and it lessens bottom end torque, so not really the greatest for the big heavy van.. but they were free and because they are rollers, better suited for the oil with no zinc in it...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan