Hellwig spring helpers

msasso

I have an 06 dodge dakota and recently purchased a skamper o60s. I primarily use it on the beach and unfortunately it's just a little heavy for the poor load capacity of the dakota rear springs and bottoms out. Was wondering if anyone else has used the hellwigs and what kind of results they got. The seem cheap enough

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I have hellwig on my setup. The did what they were supposed to do and were the right price. Easy to install as well. I would recommend them. Good Luck!

Rico V

I originally bought a pair of Hellwig EZ-990 helpers to support my 700-lb FWC Grandby Shell on a Nissan Titan 4x4 SV , but the helpers are now back in the box since they weren't up to the job. Hellwig's spec for supportable weight was, shall we say, rather optimistic, so I can't recommend them. The materials are of satisfactory quality, though. That model will probably do OK on loads of 400 lbs or less. I will just presume their other models are equivalently over-optimistic on their capacity. I now have a beefed up (custom) spring stack that works OK.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
We have used the Hellwig LP-15's in the past with good success.

Couple hour installation & they are adjustable.

The single leaf helpers (990's?? As mentioned) were just too wimpy.

The only downside ... the truck will ride a bit rougher when the camper is off.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I should clarify. I used the Helwig Pro-Series Springs to level my load. Website advertises 2500 lbs capacity. Beefier than the 990's. It did what I was hoping and helped the load and leveled the truck. It feels more stable.

As Stan mentioned the ride is STIFF without the camper on the truck, but can be adjusted fairly quickly.

msasso

Thanks for the insight. I went and ordered the 1500lb model from jeep first on ebay. Only $148 shipped so can't complain. I'll repost once I get them installed with some feedback and a pic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan