Help a brother out - Post up some pics and details of your RTT lift systems

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Whenever I see someone wondering about lifting a rack, I always think about how to adapt pop-up tent trailer struts. The horizontal V is almost universal in commercial trailers yet rarely used for this. Not sure if this works for what Greg is wanting but if you need lift and structure, it seems like a good method.

Egan70

Observer
Whenever I see someone wondering about lifting a rack, I always think about how to adapt pop-up tent trailer struts. The horizontal V is almost universal in commercial trailers yet rarely used for this. Not sure if this works for what Greg is wanting but if you need lift and structure, it seems like a good method.

Not sure what the horizontal vee looks like - can you link a description or picture?

The Goshen, Coleman, and Jayco winch and cable systems used in many pop-up tents are probably a bit too complex for an RTT setup and would have to be beefed up considerably to hold 150 lbs of tent and 400 or 500 lbs of people (as opposed to a fiberglass roof and some wind load). http://www.customcylindersintinc.com/understanding_camping_trailers_roof_lift_systems.htm

Oh, and thanks to the OP for posting these questions - I am going through the same design process right now myself.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I couldn't find a pic, so...

Code:
i-------i   rack
 \     /
 /     \
[-------]    trailer

The struts can be attached to the top rail or as I've typically seen, to the bottom frame. They are hinged in the middle using a wound spiral spring to offset the weight. Could use a gas strut. The three hinges (ends and middle) allow the rack to be raised one end at a time. If attached at the frame, the trailer top rail has a 'c' pocket that cradles the strut and locks it in place when extended. Does that make sense?

While searching for a pic, I found this...
pop-up-truck-camper.jpg

I don't think anything else is required. :wings:

Egan70

Observer
I couldn't find a pic, so...

Code:
i-------i   rack
 \     /
 /     \
[-------]    trailer

The struts can be attached to the top rail or as I've typically seen, to the bottom frame. They are hinged in the middle using a wound spiral spring to offset the weight. Could use a gas strut. The three hinges (ends and middle) allow the rack to be raised one end at a time. If attached at the frame, the trailer top rail has a 'c' pocket that cradles the strut and locks it in place when extended. Does that make sense?

Makes sense. I'll see if can come up with something similar and see if it can be beefy enough to support the load. Thanks.

LostBurro

Observer
In my hunt for the same thing I've run across several interesting methods. None of which I can find pictures of right now. (Of course.) There's a trailer mfg in the Portland, OR, area (can't find the name or photos.) that sells their trailer with an optional lift system that is exhaust driven. When I find who it is I'm going to take a drive up there to see how that works.
Seems it would be a lot of extra weight and plumbing, what with the tubing required for it.

Another one I saw somewhere (ho-made, not a manufacturer) was similar, but air powered and they used pvc for the inner and outer tubing. That one interested me and I'm trying to find out what they used as a seal, to hold the pressure when raising the rack. Sounds like it could also be a plumbing/weight nightmare and you'd need a decent compressor.
One could probably use tubing and fittings from something like vehicle air shocks to distribute the air. I'm not sure you could do that with the exhaust assist one.

Egan70

Observer
In my hunt for the same thing I've run across several interesting methods. None of which I can find pictures of right now. (Of course.) There's a trailer mfg in the Portland, OR, area (can't find the name or photos.) that sells their trailer with an optional lift system that is exhaust driven. When I find who it is I'm going to take a drive up there to see how that works.
Seems it would be a lot of extra weight and plumbing, what with the tubing required for it.

Another one I saw somewhere (ho-made, not a manufacturer) was similar, but air powered and they used pvc for the inner and outer tubing. That one interested me and I'm trying to find out what they used as a seal, to hold the pressure when raising the rack. Sounds like it could also be a plumbing/weight nightmare and you'd need a decent compressor.
One could probably use tubing and fittings from something like vehicle air shocks to distribute the air. I'm not sure you could do that with the exhaust assist one.

Compressed air + PVC = bad idea!!! PVC is not rated for pressurized gases.

whatevah

Observer
Pneumatic masts are pretty common in the communications world (on-scene news reporters, incident command trucks, etc) so you might be able to find some resources there. My only direct experience is with an older unit that took a few minutes to raise the mast with only 5lbs worth of antenna on it, hopefully the modern systems are faster.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Makes sense. I'll see if can come up with something similar and see if it can be beefy enough to support the load. Thanks.

Sounds interesting. Mike and I spoke about something like this and looked at some design options.

Yes when Greg and I were discussing this I suggested air . but using DOM steel for rams.

We did indeed talk about air lift DOM rams... still interesting. We should prototype something up man!

Pneumatic masts are pretty common in the communications world (on-scene news reporters, incident command trucks, etc) so you might be able to find some resources there. My only direct experience is with an older unit that took a few minutes to raise the mast with only 5lbs worth of antenna on it, hopefully the modern systems are faster.

That is slow... could always make coffee while waiting. lol

LostBurro

Observer
Compressed air + PVC = bad idea!!! PVC is not rated for pressurized gases.
Maximum operating pressure for 2", Schedule 40, is around 250psi. If you're only lifting 200#, or even 250#, spread out over four rams, I don't see where the problem would be. It's not like you'd be lifting, and holding up, a vehicle.

I know quite a few people running PVC (mostly 1", max op press of 270#, burst press of 1440#) as their air lines for shop air. None have ever had any issues with it. One guy built his shop in 1986 and his system has been pressurized (250psi) ever since.

Could always go Schedule 80, which has higher operating and burst values than Schedule 40.

LostBurro

Observer
Greg this is what we did, it serves two purposes it gives you room on the roof to store things and gives you the space you need for the changing room. It's easy to go up and down and we use a pin to lock it into place. We use gas struts, they are cheep and easy to replace. There are plenty of sizes available depending on the weight of your tent, we went from a smaller tent to a larger tent and just switched out the struts from 25 to 50 with no issues. Hope this helps you out. There are a lot of other pictures in my thread if you want to check it out.
Wayne, Do you have any video of raising and lowering the rack? Can it be lowered by just one person? I'm afraid that, if I did something like that I wouldn't be able to lower it by myself.

On a side note: If the tail lights you have on the gray trailer are Optronics brand they now make a light, with the same dims and fits in the same gasket, that have back-up lights build in. I don't have any, yet, but I hear the back up lights are quite bright and the brightness of the stop/tail/turn is not compromised (not sure how it could NOT be) by having fewer leds for those purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78