Help and Advice for Tundra Camper

elcap23

Calling all fellow Expo’ers…I am need of some camper help and advice. I’ve done a fair amount of research on my own and haven’t really found the solution yet.

I am looking for a waterproof and dust proof truck topper setup for my 2006 Double Cad Tundra. My wife and I recently wrapped up a 2-month road trip through the PNW and had a great time. During the long drive, I had time to contemplate ways to improve our current Snugtop Shell and sleeping platform setup. It isn’t completely waterproof and a fair amount of dust gets in when on dirt roads. In addition, it would also be nice to have a dry place to sit out winter storms.

I’ve come up the following list of constraints:

--Waterproof and dust-proof
--Ability to carry roof top loads (whitewater kayaks, skis, and Yakima Rocketbox)
--Screened windows for ventilation
--Storage for camping equipment, kayak paddles, and skis
--Lightweight
--Stealth-esque (we sometimes camp in places where we don’t want to draw a ton of attention)
--A dry place to sit out storms in relative comfort

I am also open to installing a Ute flat bed to increase space.

Our current setup and common load:

P1060243_zpss1fmxttb.jpg

We don’t need a ton of amenities (no toilet, shower, or sink necessary). I have found a couple of options that are almost perfect:

Rhino Campers (http://traytopcampers.com/). Great setup from Australia. They seem to make quite a few of these camper tops for Utes. Not a ton of livable space inside.

BFBVoh1oxwO

VMI Truck Topper (https://youtu.be/YiWNunnq0PE) This is a pretty nice setup out of Washington. Seems pretty heavy, and might overload our ½ ton Tundra.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts or ideas on where we might find something that would work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Maybe one of these?? http://www.spacekap.com I think they made them to fit that size bed. It also sounds like a 4wheel camper Shell would work for you. I'm leaning towards a shell for myself. I don't really want running water and heat ect. I need space to store bikes inside and other equipment. I just want a decent bed and a place to get inside out of the bad weather. If it's nice out, I'm cooking outside!!!

Good luck in your search. Keep us updated if you find a solution.

Cheers,
George

ericvs

VMI Truck Topper (https://youtu.be/YiWNunnq0PE) This is a pretty nice setup out of Washington. Seems pretty heavy, and might overload our ½ ton Tundra

Hey, that is me! haha. Yes, very happy with my setup. You can see the beginning stages in my post here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/150693-Post-build-uh-build-thread

Unfortunately, I have not weighed my set-up, but I don't think it is as heavy as you think. Yours would not be build on a 3/4ton pickup, so it would be smaller and lighter, but the aluminum construction helps keep the weight down. I don't even notice the camper on the back while driving. I mean I can see it back there, but the truck doesn't seem to handle differently.

For reference, on the way to expo in 2014, I was pulling a VMI trailer down there. During the trip, I had to perform an emergency full lane swerve to avoid a large object kicked up by the vehicle in front of me travelling at approximately 65mph. Yes, I was probably too close for that speed, but I was able to miss the object with no issue, the trailer even missed the object :)

V7MhNqNh.jpg

I think the best bet would be to call Mike @ VMI Offroad. He is always happy to discuss cool projects and I know he is working on some really cool things right now, I will let him tell you.

I will also be at the NWOverland Rally in Wa state with my truck if you want to see it in more detail than that video. :)

elcap23

Eric--that is a sweet setup. It looked like it was made out of steel in the video, but I think the aluminum construction would make it light enough for my 1/2 ton. I dig the idea of a stealth camper that can haul some gear. Care to share any aspects that may not be ideal, or that you would change in the future?

How is the upper tent area in a big wind storm or a classic PNW rain storm?

Another outfit I think would work would be one of the AT Habitats with a tilt-up non-flip roof. That way you retain your ability to carry gear on top.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Greg

elcap23

Thanks for this George. Seems like we're after a similar setup. I'm only inside to sleep or if the weather turns nasty.

KevinK

Not Very New Member
I think you'd need a rack fabbed to accommodate the kayak, but we've been loving our James Baroud mounted low over the bed of our double cab Tundra.

All our gear fits in the bed (including an awning and room) plus the tent fits the wife and I plus our two dogs (50 and 70lbs). It's totally sealed in rain and has nice big screened windows for a breeze. When closed, it's sealed against rain and dust, and also has vents to draw out damp air while you drive and a solar powered exhaust fan for when you're inside.

It's no wider or taller than the stock truck, so we can even squeeze down most Jeep trails (side scratches notwithstanding :) )

3F652E0C-F34E-4018-AF81-EEDE7DAED562.jpg

F562789C-564E-4162-88F3-488EB588308D.jpg

BB12CA6D-E638-4040-A163-F71B9D8A5F55.jpg

A1D62AB1-3D09-4E5B-A23A-0A2318F67A2C.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Sorry for so many pictures, they describe it better than words. ;)

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.

KevinK

Not Very New Member
I almost forgot the best part....

We rolled into camp the other night at 3 am in the snow. It took about three minutes to get all of us into the tent and under the covers after I found a place to park.

Setup is super quick. 4 latches and the tent pops up on gas struts, grab the ladder from inside the tent, hang it, put the dogs in, wife in, myself in, snuggle into the blankets.

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.

elcap23

Kevin--that's a super nice Tundra and RFT. I think if I was going that route, the straight pop up style would be my choice...super clean and easy.

I would be concerned about losing load carrying ability for our boats and skis. And it would limit our ability to stealth camp when needed. I really lke your "annex"/changing room. Would make a great spot to escape from the weather.

Part of me thinks that doing a Shell model of one of the FWC or ATC's would be most the straightforward.

ericvs

Eric--that is a sweet setup. It looked like it was made out of steel in the video, but I think the aluminum construction would make it light enough for my 1/2 ton. I dig the idea of a stealth camper that can haul some gear. Care to share any aspects that may not be ideal, or that you would change in the future?

How is the upper tent area in a big wind storm or a classic PNW rain storm?

Hey Greg, sorry for the slow reply. I am definitely able to stealth camp in my rig. I can leave the top down and even with surfboards stored inside on the roof I have enough room to roll over and sleep w/o it feeling like a coffin. Many times the gf and I have camped with the top down and been totally comfortable.

Different designs that I keep reviewing in hindsight may have involved a cab over portion with the bed up top, but this would reduce the ability to stealth camp as you would have to pop the top to sleep. I am very happy with how this design turned out for how I use this rig. I think one thing I would do is add lower storage compartments under the flatbed fore and aft of the rear wheel, but this isn't a game changer for me as there is still lots of storage inside, but more is better. We also made the camper part removable from the flatbed. I have used this aspect a few times, but if I did it again, I would opt to have it permanently mounted. This would allow the heater, batteries and inverter, which are stored inside the camper, to be move elsewhere to further optimize interior space.

The canvas has held up great for the PNW winds and rain. I went with the angled pop top so I could point the rig into the wind (and rain) and have a solid barrier. This isn't always possible though, and the sunbrella fabric has held up great when we can't park in the ideal position. Just this weekend, I was at Roosevelt state park and the rear of the truck was facing the 30+mph winds and the fabric would move about, but not flap enough to keep me awake at night. Fabric is also water resistant and has held up great to driving rain storms overnight.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears