HELP blowing white smoke!!

rebar

Adventurer
Hello...I am the wife of a guy that needs help badly.
He is currently in Colorado, between Gunnison and Almont.
He is in a E-350 van with a Cummins 5.9- 12 valve diesel engine...1st generation.
The van is blowing white smoke constantly when he's driving. It is not looking like antifreeze is being used. The fuel/oil filters have been recently changed. Crank case oil is okay.
As it is a used vehicle, my husband is not sure of all the mods done to it, but knows that some were done.
Should he chance coming back to Iowa without having it looked at first or does he risk messing the engine up?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jennifer

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Just a thought, but has he checked to see if he is losing transmission fluid? The white smoke might be the fluid leaking on to his exhaust.

LOW50S

Observer
Hello from another Iowan, I would stop and check all fluids. shut the truck off and check, coolant, trans, engine oil, p/s

cycle the key 3 times leave it on (no start)and watch the odometer see if its showing a code?

Did you just fill it up with diesel? you could have a large water content in your fuel causing white smoke. maybe stop at parts store and try new fuel filter, and some diesel 911.

Along with water in the fuel you could have a bad headgasket or you could have bad injector. but I would start with the easy stuff. just check all the basics.

bjm206

Adventurer
Assuming head gasket is ok.

Stuck injectors can cause white smoke in 6BTs. Exhaust will smell really heavy of diesel fuel. Failed thermostats (stuck open) can also cause this condition...but I have only seen this in cold weather.

Verify that you are not burning oil...which is a blue/white smoke. Burning a lot of oil in diesels is a safety issue.

If were me I would stop at a Cummins repair facility and see what they think. This engine was very common in smaller commercial trucks so they should have people the can diagnose this quickly. Having the engine suffer a mobility failure on the road can get very expensive.

Good Luck

Last edited:

rebar

Adventurer
Thanks for the thought, the next time he has cell service, I'm going to give him a few I've received on here...thanks again! Jennifer

Kaisen

Explorer
As it is a used vehicle, my husband is not sure of all the mods done to it, but knows that some were done.
Should he chance coming back to Iowa without having it looked at first or does he risk messing the engine up?

Just a thought, but has he checked to see if he is losing transmission fluid? The white smoke might be the fluid leaking on to his exhaust.

cycle the key 3 times leave it on (no start)and watch the odometer see if its showing a code?

Assuming head gasket is ok.

Stuck injectors can cause white smoke in 6BTs. Exhaust will smell really heavy of diesel fuel. Failed thermostats (stuck open) can also cause this condition...but I have only seen this in cold weather.

Verify that you are not burning oil...which is a blue/white smoke. Burning a lot of oil in diesels is a safety issue.

It's a MANUAL transmission, so it's not likely that it's leaking transmission fluid on the exhaust. Possible, just not likely.

It's also a FORD with a CUMMINS 6BT swap, so there would be no check engine light or any codes to check

If it's smoking, it's either consuming (burning) fluid or leaking fluid onto something hot and combusting it externally.
Fluids that could produce white smoke could be:
Power steering fluid
Engine oil
Coolant
Transmission oil

The turbo has both a supply of coolant and engine oil. If the turbo suffered a failure, like a blown line or seal, either could be entering the exhaust and coming out as white smoke. Or leaking externally on those hot components and burning off externally. Since this is a van, this would be happening right under the engine doghouse and he could probably smell it right there in the van. He could/should pop open the doghouse and check for any signs of upper leaks.

A failed head gasket or cracked head could be introducing coolant into the combustion chamber and burning off as white smoke. This would be truly white, not blue-ish white, and would smell sweet. This would also be the case if coolant were getting by the turbo, either upstream or downstream of the engine.

A failed injector introducing raw fuel into the combustion chamber at a rate that could not ignite would produce white smoke but it would be acrid and smell heavily of (what else) diesel fuel. You'd smell it only at the tailpipe. It would quickly wash down the cylinder walls and dilute the oil, potentially ruining the lubricating properties of the oil and causing catastrophic bearing damage. Check oil often, not just the oil level (it would show a high level) but smell and consistency.

Oil anywhere inside the system (turbo up/down stream, internal oil leak) would produce blue-ish white smoke that was thick and heavy coming out the tailpipe. A failed turbo oil seal on the cold side (inlet) can cause a runaway condition where the "fuel" becomes the leaking motor oil itself so it cannot be stopped with the throttle or ignition switch.

An external leak would burn that oil off anything hot, and you'd smell it (and see it) at/near the source. Same with power steering fluid or transmission oil. If he doesn't see any leaks, see any smoke outside the motor, or smell any smoke except for the tailpipe, it's not an external leak.

Whether he should press on until Iowa depends on his mechanical aptitude to determine which of these things might be happening. Get it wrong and it could be expensive. If he chooses to press on, keep an eye on all gauges and fluid levels and stay away from long periods of full throttle or high boost.

Good luck

rebar

Adventurer
**Thanks Kaisen...I saw your post after talking to him. I will pass it on.**
Thanks for your responses...He just got ahold of me and we discussed all your ideas.
First off, the van is manual transmission, he HAS checked ALL the fluids and they are fine.
radiator and oil look good.
Being as there were mods done to it prior to him buying it, he doesn't know every last thing done...he knows that the injectors are NOT stock, and the fuel screw has been changed. He's no diesel mechanic, but isn't sure "on the road" how to check his head gasket, he thinks that he may have stretched the head studs.
He's hoping that the altitude change between Iowa & Colorado is the issue...he doesn't want to be 'nickel and dime'd' fixing it !
Jennifer

rebar

Adventurer
This the male half in Colorado.. I'm not good typing on my iPhone so short and sweet The white smoke is coming from the exhause pipe and does not smell like fuel. It's not to bad at idle or cruising but belches allot on take off.
Coolant to the turbo? Don't think so
I'm on vacation pulling 8000 of toyhauler. Basic tools ,Very
I'm worried il meet a mec who says he can fit it but does more harm Han good

Any contacts in gunnison would be great

Thanks!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Deos it smell sweet? Goo and carbon in your exhaust pipe? Wet stacked. Connect to a trailer and drive 80 mph.
-
If it's not fluids or wet stacking, it could be low compression in one of the cylinders. A dead cylinder won't burn all of it's fuel and make white smoke just like an ice cold diesel engine does. Ever see a semi truck start puking a metric ton of white smoke on the freeway and pull over? Usually a toasted valve. Coolant makes a similar cloud of smoke though, but usually coolant makes thicker white smoke, like a rocket launch.

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Open the oil fill cap and check for blowby?

White smoke sounds like coolant (head gasket)

rebar

Adventurer
The fire was more of a smoldering red hot foam insulation episode, with silver backing. Only thing damaged I can see was the foam.. which is gone now..

I just had a good mechanic tell me to enjoy my vacation because it takes more than a leaking head gasket it kill a cummins.

Second mechanic said my timing was tweaked causing it to smoke.. He said it was unburnt fuel, which I could not smell.

So I guess I need to settle down and enjoy the remaining 3 days..

Wish me luck gettin home!

Thanks!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well every B series pump I've replaced, timing is as simple as loosening the bolts that hold the injector pump and turning it a little with giant channel locks to get best performance. When I remove one of those pumps I turn the engine over by hand until the lines line up in the window. Getting the pump rebuilt and the injectors replaced is an easy shadetree job. The cylinder heads are ridiculously easy to do as well. Look into some local mechanics when you get home. I'm sure there's a few that can get that engine fixed up cheaply because it's so easy to work on.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
This the male half in Colorado.. I'm not good typing on my iPhone so short and sweet The white smoke is coming from the exhause pipe and does not smell like fuel. It's not to bad at idle or cruising but belches allot on take off.
Coolant to the turbo? Don't think so
I'm on vacation pulling 8000 of toyhauler. Basic tools ,Very
I'm worried il meet a mec who says he can fit it but does more harm Han good

Any contacts in gunnison would be great

Thanks!

From your description, and if it's actually BLOWING and BELCHING, I think it's one of 3 things.

1) Bad turbo seals that are allowing oil to leak past.
2) Bad injector(s)
3) Leaking boost

To determine the turbo seals, other than shining with a flashlight and looking for an external leak, OR seeing if any oil is making it to the point of dripping or oily blackening the tail pipe, there isn't much else to do short of taking off the exhaust pipe at the turbo and looking inside. If you aren't losing oil though, it's probably not that.

To determine the injector, you could put an infrared gun on the manifold and see which of the 6 doesn't match the rest. If you have an injector leaking all the time, that cylinder will definitely be cooler. My guess (just gut) is that it isn't that.

To determine the boost, do you have a boost gauge on the truck? Do you hear any odd whistling or whooshing? Leaking boost coupled with high altitude will definitely make smoke when you're taking off and appear normal at other times, my guess would be with that. A boost gauge would be helpful that way you can monitor your numbers under load. Do you have an EGT gauge? That would be helpful as well since EGT's get much hotter when you're loosing boost. IMHO an EGT and boost gauge are must have's for any diesel engine.

rebar

Adventurer
Well, I'm halfway home. The first mech said he had seen worse run for months. He smelled, in his words.. " a tiny bit of antifreeze."

This mornings startup down on the plains should tell me if the altitude had anything to do with the smoke.

Enroute over the rockies it ran like it always had and the white startup smoke turned to black (not allot) after it warmed up. fluid levels and appearance look good.

Yes I have a post pyro which never was allowed to go over 900 and a boost gauge which runs around 9 psi at 70 mph flat ground, up to 16 17 at full boost. Yes I hear the turbo.. Its practically in my lap.

Time to pack up and thanks for all the suggestions! This engine will come apart soon but I wish I had a local cummins guru to talk me through it.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I should have suggested it earlier but stop at Walmart and pick up a big bottle of grey Diesel Kleen, I think it's $16.88 and worth every penny. Pour half of that in the tank and see if the smoke is reduced, that stuff is so good that it'll hide injector/boost leak problems but nothing will hide a leaking head gasket. If the smoke diminshes, then most likely it's not a leaking head gasket. You can also take a look in the coolant bottle/radiator while the engine is running...do you see any bubbles? Are you losing any coolant?

I think and hope you're good to go, from the sounds of it nothing sounds catastrophic:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78