Help choosing a Tacoma

Wainiha

Explorer
You may want to check out the TECH/FAQ section on TTORA for TSBs. Technical Service Bulletins. Some made include frame replacement, throwout bearings and leaf springs.

jcoleman

As far as wanting to buy an American truck, It's not that the Mexico trucks are not good I would just prefer (in these difficult economic times) to see an American worker with that job...

How is this relevant when looking at a used truck? Not trying to be antagonistic, just curious as to what angle you were considering.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
By long-bed, you mean 6' right? They don't come with 7' beds like the old pickups used to.

The seats in the TRD are a big improvement over 1rst Gen and SR5s. I'd at least try them out first.

In CA, used Tacomas are pretty hard to come by for a good price. And you're looking at a specific body style and drivetrain. I wouldn't further handicap yourself by wanting one assembled in the USA. I appreciate the message you are trying to send, but it won't be heard by anyone, especially on a truck that already was sold.

Good luck!

millerfish

Adventurer
Wanting to buy American is in no way an angle or trying to send a message or even make a real difference. It is a personal choice and belief. The fact is there is not enough people in this country to produce the good we consume yet we have unemployment and poverty. I would rather give someone a job that a handout...

So after looking at a lot of used trucks it sure seems like buying used is not a big savings. Maybe a new truck and get just what I want...

jcoleman

Wanting to buy American is in no way an angle or trying to send a message or even make a real difference. It is a personal choice and belief. The fact is there is not enough people in this country to produce the good we consume yet we have unemployment and poverty. I would rather give someone a job that a handout...

So after looking at a lot of used trucks it sure seems like buying used is not a big savings. Maybe a new truck and get just what I want...

Can't/don't want to argue with that. Good luck with your search.

Subspd

Adventurer
Depends how much will you use the bed verses the rear locker? Also I agree always buy Tacomas new its usually a better deal. If you are going to lift it just get the SR5 if you will keep it stock (you won't once you get on TacomaWorld...) get the TRD OR. Just my 0.02

SIZZLE

Pro-party
So now I am considering a short bed DC. Is the TRD Off Road package worth not having a long bed?

For me it was. It was more the length of the wheel base than the locker itself, although i did want the locker and the atrac. At 127", the DCSB is already longer than i would like. If it wasn't for kids, i'd have gotten an access cab with the 6' bed. Then again, if i didn't have kids, i'd still have my first gen tacoma.

nat

Adventurer
For the cost of the TRD package you can buy several ARB air lockers. I bought a 2007 DC Taco, used. Its the best family vehicle I have owned, plenty of room for my teenage son. Mine has no fancy atrac or anything else.

millerfish

Adventurer
Some have said that the seats are a big improvement in the TRD over the SR5??? Other that that the locker and shocks are about it. If lifted the shocks are gone. Right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179