Help Finding Full Float Axle for 03 E350?

Hello,

I am trying to find either a D60 FF or Sterling 12.5 that will be a direct swap into my 03 E350 that originally came with a semi float D60. I want the ability to run a limited slip without having to spend the money on a regear and ARB. So a axle with 4.10 gears and limited slip would be amazing. I have seen several charts and axle codes but I am still confused on what vehicles I need to look at in the junkyard and how to tell what axle gearing they have.

I do not have plans to convert to 4WD anytime soon and need to stay on a fairly strict budget so that's why I am looking at an axle out of a wrecked vehicle. I can move spring pads but would like everything else to be easily changed over.

Can any of you axle gurus help me out?

Joe

silvrzuki77

explorer
Car-part.com. The 10.5" you will need Ujoint conversion to make it fit. Read their axle section for what year he suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-part.com. The 10.5" you will need Ujoint conversion to make it fit. Read their axle section for what year he suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check out Car-part. Thanks!

I have read the FAQ and Axle section on Ujoint but have got confused on what vehicle to pull the axle out of which model for the gearing I want.

Like I can say that an auto 1st gen TRD Tacoma came with an elocker and an 8" rear end with 4.30 gears and the manual had 4.10. The non TRD was an open diff with a different style 8" so they are not compatible. I know Toyota trucks but I am completely new and ignorant to Ford vehicles.

That's the kind of info that I am looking for on the van but cannot seem to find online.

I am specifically looking for something that already has 4.10 gears and either a factory LSD or can accept a lunchbox locker or limited slip.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Best bet would be to find a SRW 10.5 out of a super duty.

10.5 w/ 4:10s and factory LSD are extremely common.

njtacoma

Explorer
The "problem" compared to Toyota's is that there aren't many hard and fast rules with axles in the vans. Sure it "should" have 4.10 gears, but turn out it was part of a large fleet order that had 3.54's or something. You could really get them however you want.

I asked a similar question a few years ago, and was told you just have to look at the tag, or pull the cover if the yard doesn't know what it is. They are really random. Two "identical" vans side by side and one is SF and the other a FF, not much help except to say Carpart and many larger yards know what they have, so you don't have to crawl under every van in the yard.

stormlover

Adventurer
I'll offer a 2nd or 3rd opinion. If you want the same 8 x 165 bolt pattern that is on the front of your van your not going to want a sterling or 10.5. You want to keep an eye out for any axle out of a van between 99 and 2007 that is a D60 or D70. That's your best bet for plug and play without modifications. Your existing brakes (running and parking) are the same between the full-float and semi-float, so that changeover will be easier. It should also have the right tone ring and sensor for ABS. The spring perches will be in the right location. Remember when you call to inquire that auto wreckers or salvage yards hate to be called junk yards. LOL.

The carpart site mentioned above works quite well for indexing the stock of a large number of auto wreckers: http://www.car-part.com/

When you find one from a different compatible year/van use the BOM# to figure out exactly what you've got. http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

philos

Explorer
What Stormlover said. You'll need wheel adapters, new brake hardware, and you'll need to move perches to get a Sterling axle in your van.
Look for a full float axle from another van for easiest route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Is the van already 4wd? FF D60s can be tough to find and have limited locker & limited slip options.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
axle

When you come down to have us install your front suspension we can add the Dana 60 FF.... lol... ya its a bit of a road trip but you get to see the county!

The dana 66 is a easy install as i finally did it on our shop van. Unbolt and bolt in.... keep it simple. as to where to get them where you are, i cant help much..

Just did the gears and went to 4:56 gears also running 35" tires.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, he's staying rwd due to budgets restraints.
If I'm not mistaken...

Ah whoops! Re read it.

It can be frustrating trying to find a FF rear 60, especially 4.10 with a posi. Most yards just see it as an "axle" and some of them may not even know the difference between semi & full. I just sent one to UT for a guy. 4.10 posi, super nice unit. Best of luck!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ambulance Package E350s came with a D70, FF, 4.11, LSD, Dually axle. They can be hard to find in the wreckers... A MiniMod would likely have a SRW axle. Type II Ambos could also be worth looking at.

On one of the other forums an Ambo box was turned into a trailer... don't recall what he did with the axle.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Definitely a hard task as I was looking for the same exact thing, a D60 rear FF with 4.10s and LSD. Using carpart.com I ended up finding one local (no LSD) but decided not to swap it out with my current D60 FF w/ 3.55 gears. I still have it if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998