Help from the Disco experts.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I would be cautious. It's the potential for big repair bills that can make Rover ownership a bummer value. It's not really about purchase price. My advice comes from the point of view of a first time Rover owner. I'm not that guy with my only hobby being repairing my Rover's woes. I pay to have my work done by a Rover expert because - I'm a ham fisted mechanic. Paying for good Rover work comes at a premium. Head gaskets can easily run $1700. ABS system rebuilds done properly DO run $3000. Drive shafts, water pumps, steering pumps and other common ailments add up. I love my Rover, but it's soaked up $4000+ over the last 4 years. That is not so super.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
I'm sorry. I thought you said the price was 7700 along with an addition 1800 for the accessories, my mistake. Just be careful. I love my 2000 d2, but it has cost me a lot of money in just regular maintainence. I started with a gushing head gasket and now I have a rear main seal that that spews oil and a leaky abs modulator. I guess what I unclearly stated before is that the rover you are looking at seems like it has been built very well, but off road mods do not increase the reliability of the truck. Just be aware that you will probably be instore for future repairs.
All that being said if I was in your position, knowing what I know now about the upkeep of the trucks I would still jump on the opportunity to buy that truck. Land rovers are an addiction that I am not sure even the Betty ford clinic is prepared to handle.

brushogger

Explorer
If the new brake pads make any noise that can cause the three amigos. I recently dealt with this on my '04 d2. I started hearing some squeal and the boys Would appear. I took everything apart and reassembled it but still had amigos and squeal. Changed out pads even though there was plenty left. The squeal disappeared and so did the boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179