Help Me Adventure-ize my XJ

Harmgrissom

Observer
Wanted to thank you guys for all the ideas thus far. I started putting together a small-ish tool kit last night, just a few wrenches, screwdrivers, JB weld & loctite, extra fuses etc. Thats a good idea.

Coolant wise I'm not too worried about it as i live in Arizona - we ALWAYS carry extra water etc. Its just plain smart. Planning on putting some vents in the hood just in case and possibly an electric fan. Still TBD on that.

I'm thinking rather than a compressor, about an spare tank I can pressurize before hand. Still need to look into the idea. Its bigger, heavier and probably more expensive - however its also less "banging" sensitive.

Still not completely sold on the idea of a roof-rack. I'm waffling on this completely.

Goochm

Observer
Ax yes, gun...

You folks making fun of carrying an ax must be gold-dang city slickers. An ax is required equipment in many National Forests in the west, I guess for building a log cabin or something, tho I suppose if the road is blocked by a fallen tree...
What I DON'T see is the need for totin' a weapon. In 45 years of camping, in almost always very remote locations, almost always alone, I've never felt I wish I could slap iron. This juvenile need to go cowboy doesn't make since to me.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
You folks making fun of carrying an ax must be gold-dang city slickers.

I guess you could call me a city slicker, but I was actually making fun of the thread about carrying an axe. Not the actual act of carrying an axe on a vehicle.

Oh well, back to your regularly scheduled program. ;)

shovelbill

Observer
What I DON'T see is the need for totin' a weapon. In 45 years of camping, in almost always very remote locations, almost always alone, I've never felt I wish I could slap iron. This juvenile need to go cowboy doesn't make since to me.

you've been very fortunate so far, it's a different world today. of course growing up in Brooklyn tends to jade my view of most folks. it's not a juvenile need to go cowboy....protecting me and mine from animals of both the 2 legged and 4 legged variety makes perfect sense to me. 3 rounds can also be used as a distress signal.....along with the flare gun that wouldn't hurt to have either.

but......there's always a couple of police officers hanging out at the obscure swimming hole miles and miles from the nearest stop sign to lend a hand in the nick of time:rolleyes:.

Harmgrissom

Observer
You folks making fun of carrying an ax must be gold-dang city slickers. An ax is required equipment in many National Forests in the west, I guess for building a log cabin or something, tho I suppose if the road is blocked by a fallen tree...

Well I grew up out in the sticks and always made do with our 4x4's without all the lifts and whatnot but we always had an Axe. :elkgrin:

Regarding the gun - and not to make it a political or social debate - first i carry a gun every day I'm not in the office. To put your mind at ease I've actually taken more hours of training with firearms than most police officers. Its more than a hobby or being a cowboy - its a lifestyle.

Additionally I live in Southern Arizona, not sure if you heard about the Sheriff's officer here who got shot at by drug runners with an AK-47. Yeah that was literally 20 minutes south from my front door and one of my favorite places to camp and to go stargazing. I've been shot at by drug mules while further south on Coyote Hunts and I've seen them from a distance a LOT. I get that you don't agree with it, and thats fine, carrying a gun isn't for everyone, but for me - I don't go ANYWHERE without a gun handy.

And just so you don't think its south of me so "go further north," I've encountered BP and Homeland Security/DEA agents closing in on other drug folks while remotely camping further north up in the mountains too. Flagstaff - yep, Williams - yep, White Mountains - yep, Mt. Graham - yep. You name it. So while I'm not looking for trouble...

shovelbill

Observer
Flagstaff - yep, Williams - yep, White Mountains - yep, Mt. Graham - yep. You name it. So while I'm not looking for trouble...

my uncle has a small ranch setup in Parks. has a general store/post office/gas station in that area too. i want to ride out there this summer if i get the time.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
:victory: Hello sir. Sounds like you got some big plans, with all the links you have been sending me I am leaning toward a expedition style rig rather than a crawling rig rig myself, and here I though I was going to be corrupting you with 4x4 dreams. Stoked to see your rig come together bro, I see some afternoon wheeling in our rear future.

Harmgrissom

Observer
:victory: Hello sir. Sounds like you got some big plans, with all the links you have been sending me I am leaning toward a expedition style rig rather than a crawling rig rig myself, and here I though I was going to be corrupting you with 4x4 dreams. Stoked to see your rig come together bro, I see some afternoon wheeling in our Near future.

fixed it for you brother. lets be careful with that shall we. :coffeedrink:

Harmgrissom

Observer
Ok found the Rage Roof Luggage Racks. I'm not sure I "LOVE" the idea of using the roof rails rather than the gutters to lock it in place - but for 100 bucks it doesn't seem like a HORRID idea. Might be able to play with a way to mount it more sturdily to the roof itself. Anyone have any experience with these?

Also going to see about mocking up a storage compartment this weekend. Something which might be able to hold gear while keeping it organized etc. Something lockable.

theksmith

Explorer
sound like you are getting equipt to go 'splorin pretty well! a few thoughts for you...

i didn't see anyone mention bug-out-bag:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/bugoutbagz/
http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573

i saw you've already been discussing a basic toolkit - here are some ideas for spare parts to carry (you don't have to get carried away to start with unless you go out alone alot, but have some basics):
http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718

might i also suggest that until you feel the need for dual batteries, carry a jump starter box. here is my favorite: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594

beyond all that, i echo what one of the earlier posters said about just getting out and doing it first - go somewhere not too far from civilization on a few camping trips, even one-nighters and see what sorts of issues and problem and ideas you get from that before you venture off 100 miles from pavement and cell-phone reception for the first time.

the mogollon rim is my absolute favorite place to camp here in the summer (north of payson), followed by the lake mary area near flagstaff - both areas have some un-improved camp spots that still get cell reception (with verizon at least) - get out and have fun!

Harmgrissom

Observer
Thank you very much for your input there Ksmith.

That jump starter box seems like a great idea. Was thinking about something like that (was unaware of the actual product) and some kind of air tank/compressor as tires and batteries seem the 2 most vulnerable aspects of the vehicle if banging around enough.

I'll second the Mogollian Rim as a GREAT place to camp and I look forward to seeing even more of it over the next few years. Lake Mary is also an awesome place to go have fun - although I'll admit I haven't camped there in a LONG time.

I did go for a drive through Apache Trail this weekend. Looking for some off-road sections of that area because WOW that was fun. Haven't driven that since i was a kid. so much fun.

Harmgrissom

Observer
Thought this deserved a separate post to pose a question - been thinking about the conversion of the Cherokee to 4WD and its going to cost me about 1600 all told - parts & labor. I'm not a mechanic and while I'm not afraid to tackle a body project - the engine transmission stuff honestly intimidates the hell out of me.

So I thought about it if I sell my Cherokee and combine the proceeds with the 1600 I was going to use to upgrade it in the first place I might be better served going out and buying a 4x4 Jeep from the get go. And I'm having a hard time picking a hole in that plan.

This is compounded by several AMAZING jeeps for sale for under 5k locally right now.

:Wow1: Just full of consternation tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger