Help me choose a winch!

seanpistol

Explorer
Hey Expo. My Brute Force Fab bumper for my 1st Gen Tundra is still a couple weeks out, so I'm shopping for a winch before it gets here. I'd love advice from anyone with an opinion that reads this. My only real requirements are synthetic rope and 9500-10000 lbs. Here are links to the units I've looked at-

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W..._pn=S/B98495

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W..._pn=S/B98510

(currently has $80 mail-in rebate) http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...&t_pn=WAR87840

Superwinch seems to only offer a 2 year warranty, when Smittybilt and Warn have the limited lifetime/3 year electrical, but... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W..._pn=SWI1595201

Same deal with Rugged Ridge- http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...pn=RUG15100.11

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
What are you looking for in a winch and how do you plan to use it?

How important is Brand recognition vs cost?

seanpistol

Explorer
Looking for something that won't break the bank, but don't want to pay for junk, which is what worries me with Smittybilt, although it seems like some people have good luck. Want synthetic line. I like a good warranty for piece of mind, which eases some of the worries with Smittybilt. Plan on using it if I'm solo and stuck. Lots of trees to pull off.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Hey Expo. I'd love advice from anyone with an opinion that reads this.

During my search for a winch, it finally ended up as a battle between Superwinch and Warn.

With price point an issue, I opted for the Superwinch. Either one is a good call IMHO.
I would not recommend Smittybuilt, especially a recovery product.

Good Luck

yarden

Observer
Same here... I have used and recommend both Superwinch and Warn. I have used the trusted Warn M8000 in the past with great success both the Superwinch Tiger Shark and the higher end Talon are an amazing product (in my opinion some of the best on the market right now and definitely a value). I am about to install a Superwinch Talon 12.5K in my F250's winch bumper.

seanpistol

Explorer
I am currently leaning toward the Superwinch Tigershark 9.5 with synthetic line.... I really don't like Smittybilt, even with their significant warranty. Warn is overpriced, but obviously considered to be the best.

The Superwinch seems to be a really good bang for the buck.

yarden

Observer
I am currently leaning toward the Superwinch Tigershark 9.5 with synthetic line.... I really don't like Smittybilt, even with their significant warranty. Warn is overpriced, but obviously considered to be the best.

The Superwinch seems to be a really good bang for the buck.

Warn is definitely a quality product... just not a "value" vs. Superwinch. Again, I have run both. Warn being "the best" vs. Superwinch is really only because the USA Made vs. China debate. Outside of American opinion it isn't as big of a deal to people in my experience. Both Warn and Superwinch were used in the Camel Trophy events. They both still make the best winches out there in my opinion today.

Superwinch customer services is top knotch and they care about their clients and their products which they stand behind. They have been in the winch game a long time (both companies since the 1970's).

I have heard nothing but great things about the TS series from Superwinch... I think you will be happy with your decision.

Boost Junky

I've been using a gen2 Smittybilt 9500lb on my T4R. Been running flawlessly, Paid $299 plus upgraded to synthetic line as well.
Previously ran Engo9k on my Tacoma. Good winch as well, a little slower though.

seeNik48

Adventurer
This is timely. We bought a Ranch a Hand front replacement bumper last year. This is the year of the winch. Or, "Season of the Winch" for you old farts from a song popular in the 70s.

It looks like we will go with the Superwinch. Which series should be get for our combo in our signature? We also like the synthetic line. I thought Warns were made in China, also. Or, are they both?

Thank-you

yarden

Observer
This is timely. We bought a Ranch a Hand front replacement bumper last year. This is the year of the winch. Or, "Season of the Winch" for you old farts from a song popular in the 70s.

It looks like we will go with the Superwinch. Which series should be get for our combo in our signature? We also like the synthetic line. I thought Warns were made in China, also. Or, are they both?

Thank-you

Awesome... looking forward to seeing your truck build on your '08. My Superwinch Talon 12.5K is going in a Ranch Hand Winch bumper (just waiting on it at powdercoat to match my King Ranch). I assume you also went with the Winch ready version? I was told by my rep and several others it is the strongest they make (e.g. stronger than the legend).

To answer your question, at least Half the consumer Warn line IS now made in China (the VR Series). Not sure if they have off-shored anything else... but I guarantee it is coming.

In regards to the heavyweight winches like our Super Duties need, Superwinch is even more of a value!

Look at the Superwinch Tigershark specs vs. the Warn VR Series. I went with the Superwinch Talon over the Tigershark for it's lifetime warranty, speed, and the ability to easily upgrade to synthetic later if I decide too. Most of my winching right now is in areas where I don't trust a synthetic line besides some other factors. If you do want to go synthetic and are interested in the Tiger Shark line, then make sure to do it now as Superwinch specially made the synthetic Tigersharks with the brake on the outside so it won't transfer heat to the line.

Last edited:

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
I am running a Superwinch Tigershark 9.5 with synthetic line. great product. Love how the solenoids are seal and don't use the control box to protect them from the weather. Also made it easy to relocate the solenoids under the hood.

If I was in the market for a new I would take a close look at Mile Marker. Skme of their new stuff look really good.

seeNik48

Adventurer
yarden: hey thank-you for your information. The Ranch Hand is made in the USA in your state of Texas. We bought the full replacement bumper winch ready. We just had too many close calls with wildlife and idiot drivers.

You are saying that the Talon line is only the metal cable, not synthetic line? You bought the 12.5 k; would we need a bigger unit due to us having a pop up camper? I am not sure of its wet weight but probably ranges in the 2500 pound range when the water tank is ¾ full, no grey water or black water. We tend to pack light.

Thanks again for your help

Oh, btw, have you had issues with your radiator? Ours blew out last spring pulling the North Cascades Highway. $2200 later, we had a Mishimoto aluminum one installed. You don't want to know how we made it home.

yarden

Observer
yarden: hey thank-you for your information. The Ranch Hand is made in the USA in your state of Texas. We bought the full replacement bumper winch ready. We just had too many close calls with wildlife and idiot drivers.

You are saying that the Talon line is only the metal cable, not synthetic line? You bought the 12.5 k; would we need a bigger unit due to us having a pop up camper? I am not sure of its wet weight but probably ranges in the 2500 pound range when the water tank is ¾ full, no grey water or black water. We tend to pack light.

Thanks again for your help

Oh, btw, have you had issues with your radiator? Ours blew out last spring pulling the North Cascades Highway. $2200 later, we had a Mishimoto aluminum one installed. You don't want to know how we made it home.

No problem on the info... you are very welcome!

You can get the Talon in both steel cable or in synthetic. I found a good deal (better than Amazon) through superwinch experts website and their customer service is top knotch.

In regards to winch size, from my reading most super duty owners are going with 12.5K or something like 15K. There are some using 10K without an issue... just depends in what environment you are using it. Do you plan on winching up vertical cliffs axle deep in mud, etc.? I don't and am not using my super duty for "rock crawling", so I know 12.5K is plenty and still gives some buffer. The Ranch Hand's maximum is a 15K. I see the 2013 Hallmark Ute is 1,653 Lbs Dry. I personally still think you would be fine with the 12.5K, but you could always go with the 14K if it makes you feel better. Alternatively you could do the Tiger Shark 15.5K. Keep in mind that most winch companies rate their winches at the weight the motor is going to stop working... Superwinch rates their winches with a buffer for extra weight potential.

I haven't had any trouble with my radiator. I thought I had read after the 2008's they had fixed the issue, but I could be mistaken. I got the Ford Premiumcare extended warranty with my truck... was $2,600 but figured if I did have any issues it would pay for itself first use. Thanks for the suggestion on the radiator you upgraded too though, will keep that in my notes for after the warranty expires... just in case!

Last edited:

seeNik48

Adventurer
Thanks again yarden. You have been very helpful. And, I hope you never have an issue with your radiator. The issue may have been fixed by 2010. Our mechanic said it was a bugger to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998