Help me decide: 5th Gen 4Runner vs FJ80/LX450 for a family of 5

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Rear AC! Now that I think about it, the 3rd row 4Rs don't have rear AC. There are vents on the rear of the console and on the floor under the front bucket seats. If you're in the 3rd row of a 4R, there's pretty much no airflow getting to you. That's pretty lame.

Owned a lot of vehicles over the years and none can compare to the AC performance of a 100/LX470 series.Its real rear AC with its own evaporator in the rear quarter panel. Arizona approved

TexasTransplant

Family of 3 here, with 2 large dogs. 4Runner has been great thus far, including a trip to Moab and back from Houston. Granted that was a cabin trip this time, so no real "gear" came with us. You could try for a newer LX470, 2010-ish or so, but you're looking at around the cost of the 4runner already.

tlin

Adventurer
Another nod to the GX470 as a candidate. Formerly owned a '92 FJ80 and loved everything about it (minus actually going on a long, hilly road trip in it)......but the V8 in the GX along with 3rd row, comfy seats, great ride and stereo, ease of lift/offroad packaging, etc. made it a great decision. No going back and couldn't be happier.

Something to think about....many to be had which are truly mommy-mall-cruisers (not trying to be a chauvinist) if you widen your search and I think you'll find the price point agreeable.

Good luck!

Dalko43

Explorer
5th gen 4R
Pros:

• easy to find low mileage specimens
• proven, reliable drivetrain
• biggest 4R yet
• all things considered, decent fuel economy

Cons:
• higher price of admission
• some say it's underpowered
• not quite as bombproof as LC series
• is it big enough?

FJ80/LX450
Pros:

• pretty much bombproof
• wider, larger cargo area
• axles & factory locker options
• cheaper price of admission

Cons:
• all of them seem to have really high miles
• the ever-present specter of rust
• lots of attention required as parts wear out/fail from high mileage
• fuel economy is abysmal

Meh...I think you're creating some differences were none really exist between these 2 platforms.

The 5th gen 4runner is bombproof, as is the FJ 80/LX 450 if properly maintained. The main difference is that FJ's 4.5l inline 6 engine will need more care and attention than the 4runner's 4.0l v6. The FJ/LX will also require more work and repairs simply due to its older age and higher mileage.

As for differences in size and cargo capacity, the FJ might be a little bigger, but for all intents and purposes they'll both fit down the same trails and will hold roughly the same amount of cargo.

The 4runner's v6 is underpowered if the rig is heavily loaded; the same applies to the FJ 80's inline 6.

Either rig will work for your purposes. One will need a little more TLC than the other in order to keep it running.

Last edited:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Also, I need to say this because no one else has yet.

The biggest agrument for the 80 series is that its a real deal Land Cruiser.

The 5G 4R is a Mini van.

Dalko43

Explorer
Also, I need to say this because no one else has yet.

The biggest agrument for the 80 series is that its a real deal Land Cruiser.

The 5G 4R is a Mini van.

Lol...So what does that say about your FJ Cruiser (which shares the same underpinnings as the 4runner)?

A minivan? Really?

Both vehicles are pretty well sorted 4x4's. The OP shouldn't have any issues taking either on an extended trip throughout North America, as long as the proper maintenance is done (especially relevant to the older FJ 80).

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
So what does that say about your FJ Cruiser (which shares the same underpinnings as the 4runner)?
I share a lot of the same suspension components with 4th gen. Not to be confused with a 5th gen. Totally different animals.

I feel like Toyota really isn't trying anymore with the 5gen. they are built to sell to soccer moms who don't want to admit the should have bought a sienna.

Toyota: hey lets take a mini van and I mean 5G and put high dollar bilsteins and paint it a sport color and call it PRO! $$$ no money spent actually building something for wheeling and we can sell the crap out of them.

Again I default to the response of: "The 80 series is ALWAYS THE ANSWER. the real question is are you worthy?"

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I share a lot of the same suspension components with 4th gen. Not to be confused with a 5th gen. Totally different animals.

Totally different animals? As in, the 5th gen 4runner is an evolution of the 4th gen platform?

The FJ Cruiser is basically a 4th gen 4runner with a different body configuration. Similar chassis. Nearly identical powertrains. Frames, while not exactly the same, are pretty damn close. Just curious if, after considering all those similarities, we should consider the FJ Cruiser a "mini van" too?

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
you keep editing your posts.

i am sorry i struck a nerve because i see you drive a 5G. I never called the 4G a mini van. Only 5G. they were updated.

I wheel with 4Gs and 5Gs. when was the last time you went out?

4G>5G every day.

An there is no comparing either of them to a REAL LAND CRUISER

And yes please attack the FJ cruiser. don't forget to mention the blind spots. and i share alot of parts with a Taco so should we call it a pickup? thats how toyota does things

Please stay on the LC Vs. 5Gen topic.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Again I default to the response of: "The 80 series is ALWAYS THE ANSWER. the real question is are you worthy?"

That's not really an answer, but rather more of mantra that fanboys say to themselves to reinforce their ego and purchasing decisions.

If my question were: "which vehicle should I get to tow 9k lbs and carry 2k lbs of cargo for lengthy overland trip?" are you really going to sit there and tell me with a straight face that a 20 year old gasoline FJ 80 is the 'answer?'

I wheel with 4Gs and 5Gs. 4G>5G every day. An there is no comparing either of them to a REAL LAND CRUISER

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My assessment is that the 5th gen has quite a proven track record as an overland vehicle, to include some use by high-profile youtube overlanders in lengthy expeditions. I know that I've abused the snot out of my mine and it still runs like it did the day I bought it. FJ-80's are great vehicles too; they will require more work due to their age...no if's and's or but's about that.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
you keep editing your posts.

I'm adding clarifying comments to my original posts. You're changing the content and structure of yours all together.

i am sorry i struck a nerve because i see you drive a 5G. I never called the 4G a mini van. Only 5G. they were updated.

I wheel with 4Gs and 5Gs. when was the last time you went out?

4G>5G every day.

An there is no comparing either of them to a REAL LAND CRUISER

And yes please attack the FJ cruiser. don't forget to mention the blind spots. and i share alot of parts with a Taco so should we call it a pickup? thats how toyota does things

I'm not angry and you don't need to apologize for anything. Like I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nor am I attacking the FJ Cruiser. I actually consider it to be a very competent and affordable overland option. I'm just curious why you consider the 5th gen 4runner a "mini van" while deeming that the FJ Cruiser (and the 4th gen platform form which it is derived) is not? Which differences between the two platforms create that distinction? Even in comparison to the FJ 80, I really don't understand why you'd use that analogy for the 4runner.

I've driven both the 4th and 5th gen platforms quite extensively. I like them both, but I think Toyota made nuanced, but important, improvements to the 5th gen (better ground clearance, wider availability of lockers, better interior to name a few).

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
I'm adding clarifying comments to my original posts. You're changing the content and structure of yours all together.

I'm not angry and you don't need to apologize for anything. Like I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nor am I attacking the FJ Cruiser. I actually consider it to be a very competent and affordable overland option. I'm just curious why you consider the 5th gen 4runner a "mini van" while deeming that the FJ Cruiser (and the 4th gen platform form which it is derived) is not? Which differences between the two platforms create that distinction? Even in comparison to the FJ 80, I really don't understand why you'd use that analogy for the 4runner.

I've driven both the 4th and 5th gen platforms quite extensively. I like them both, but I think Toyota made nuanced, but important, improvements to the 5th gen (better ground clearance, wider availability of lockers, better interior to name a few).

I saw Apollo the other day and man I can say that sure is one sweet minivan. I wonder what they would drive if they were spending their own money. Look at real deal people who aren't selling maxtrax and what do they use? pretty sure that T4R is not very high on the list.

Lets look at those crazy SOBs in Australia. What do they drive? Land Cruisers, pretty sure they are a bit past the beating the snot as far as beating their rigs. Whats that? They don't sell T4Rs in Australia? Hmm... wonder why. Same with those crazy Russians.

let me paint you a picture: Lets say you you dump 40K into a brand new 5Gen or an 80 series.

You drive the 5G off the lot. its going to be fine for most people. Probably fine for the first service roads most will see. its going to be pretty plush and a lot more comfortable. you get a warranty. that's important to some people.

You look for a year to find the right triple locked rust free candidate for your build. Once you find it you rebuild or service everything replace whats needed etc. Lift sliders tire carriers, re-gear etc. Get to that 40K price tag pretty quick. Probably more. You now have spent a lot of time and effort but what you built is your own and maybe you learned a thing or two about your rig. But your 80 series is going to eat up anything you can throw at it, and do it class. You can do the Rubicon on 33s on a 3x80 and OME lift without to much effort. Try doing that in your minivan off the lot. But guess what, this ain't no take it into the dealership for oil changes kinda car. and its not going to be as plush. They could use a couple more cup holders. And banks aren't going to finance your 25 year old 80 series.

But, the 80 series is a globally known platform. A real land cruiser. For when not making it back is not an option.

So again, it sounds like "FAN BOY" mantra but thats ok. some people just dont get it.
"The 80 series is ALWAYS THE ANSWER. the real question is are you worthy?"

JohnnyOshow22

Find a triple locked 80 throw a bunch of money at it in the beginning baselining everything and then smile as you go everywhere in comfort with more capability than any 5th gen.

You cannot compare a 5th gen to an 80. Apples to oranges. Built for entirely different markets. The 80 was built to run all over the globe and 5th gens are just the American market. That should tell you everything you need to know.

The 5th gen will be slightly more comfortable and once built the gas mileage will still be crap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears