Help me decide: 5th Gen 4Runner vs FJ80/LX450 for a family of 5

hayde89

I saw Apollo the other day and man I can say that sure is one sweet minivan. I wonder what they would drive if they were spending their own money. Look at real deal people who aren't selling maxtrax and what do they use? pretty sure that T4R is not very high on the list.

Lets look at those crazy SOBs in Australia. What do they drive? Land Cruisers, pretty sure they are a bit past the beating the snot as far as beating their rigs. Whats that? They don't sell T4Rs in Australia? Hmm... wonder why. Same with those crazy Russians.

let me paint you a picture: Lets say you you dump 40K into a brand new 5Gen or an 80 series.

You drive the 5G off the lot. its going to be fine for most people. Probably fine for the first service roads most will see. its going to be pretty plush and a lot more comfortable. you get a warranty. that's important to some people.

You look for a year to find the right triple locked rust free candidate for your build. Once you find it you rebuild or service everything replace whats needed etc. Lift sliders tire carriers, re-gear etc. Get to that 40K price tag pretty quick. Probably more. You now have spent a lot of time and effort but what you built is your own and maybe you learned a thing or two about your rig. But your 80 series is going to eat up anything you can throw at it, and do it class. You can do the Rubicon on 33s on a 3x80 and OME lift without to much effort. Try doing that in your minivan off the lot. But guess what, this ain't no take it into the dealership for oil changes kinda car. and its not going to be as plush. They could use a couple more cup holders. And banks aren't going to finance your 25 year old 80 series.

But, the 80 series is a globally known platform. A real land cruiser. For when not making it back is not an option.

So again, it sounds like "FAN BOY" mantra but thats ok. some people just dont get it.
"The 80 series is ALWAYS THE ANSWER. the real question is are you worthy?"

I am sorry but your argument is not adding up. They do sell the 150 platform world wide and it is sold under different names but the underpinnings are still the same. Ever heard of the Prado? Of course you have because you claim to know the Toyotas. Well crawl under both and tell me it's different. I drive a UZJ100 and previously drove a 5th gen. Both amazing vehicles. I would not say one is more reliable or capable over the other. The name Land Cruiser while world renowned is just a name. Toyota could throw that name on anything if they wanted to. Honestly if you want me to take a ******** in a box and write Land Cruiser on it, I can so you can worship it. But the fact being its just branding.

Last edited:

hayde89

You're the one that doesn't understand simple marketing. so I feel sorry for anyone that has to listen to your babbling about product segmentation that you simply are too dense to understand. You are welcome to your opinion but that is all it is. Can you tell me why the Land Cruiser cost exactly why it cost twice as much? I can admit that it has nicer materials and may have some beefy components but it cost that much because people will pay that much it's a household name and their Halo car. Do you think they cost twice as much to make? I guarantee that they do not. Now by your logic why didn't you buy the best then? You settled for an FJ Cruiser which by your standards is garbage compared to Land Cruiser. Which in my opinion is not true it's a hell of a vehicle. But by one saying that Toyota cannot add the name Land Cruiser to any of it's vehicles and call it day is simply untrue.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
You're the one that doesn't understand simple marketing. so I feel sorry for anyone that has to listen to your babbling about product segmentation that you simply are too dense to understand. You are welcome to your opinion but that is all it is. Can you tell me why the Land Cruiser cost exactly why it cost twice as much? I can admit that it has nicer materials and may have some beefy components but it cost that much because people will pay that much it's a household name and their Halo car. Do you think they cost twice as much to make? I guarantee that they do not. Now by your logic why didn't you buy the best then? You settled for an FJ Cruiser which by your standards is garbage compared to Land Cruiser. Which in my opinion is not true it's a hell of a vehicle. But by one saying that Toyota cannot add the name Land Cruiser to any of it's vehicles and call it day is simply untrue.

This thread wasn't started to talk about the FJC. The FJC is not a land cruiser, but its also not a mini van. The FJC is perfect in my opinion, for its niche. and i wouldn't call it garbage but its certainly no land cruiser, I don't even have heated seats

Reasons why I don't drive an 80 series: Doesn't come in a 5 speed unless I get an import and no one will finance a 25 yo import. And I cant take that 7 digit vin to the dealership.

This thread was specific to 80 vs 5G T4R.

The TLC certainly doesn't cost twice as much to make but I guarantee that Toyota doesn't make the return they do on every minivan they sell. There is a ton they dump into R&D that starts out on the TLC and then eventually trickles down into the rest of the line up. For example A-trac, Crawl Control Etc. They use better everything material wise on the TLC right down to thicker glass in the windshield.

chaentjens

You should really do some research!!!
Land cruisers from the get go are designed to be run in the most harsh conditions around the world. From redundant systems to factory lockers front and rear 1 ton driveline components truck chassis. Etc. Etc etc.No the landcruiser name cannot be put on any toyota vehicle. For someone to say that has done absolutely no research into that fact and is making an ignorant comment. New ones are more for the comfort features than the older ones built but still carry the root pedigree. There's a reason some of the most prominent and important people around the world rely on these to get them through the harshest environments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hayde89

You should really do some research!!!
Land cruisers from the get go are designed to be run in the most harsh conditions around the world. From redundant systems to factory lockers front and rear 1 ton driveline components truck chassis. Etc. Etc etc.No the landcruiser name cannot be put on any toyota vehicle. For someone to say that has done absolutely no research into that fact and is making an ignorant comment. New ones are more for the comfort features than the older ones built but still carry the root pedigree. There's a reason some of the most prominent and important people around the world rely on these to get them through the harshest environments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What research do you want me to do? Go down the 25 year service life hole? I never said they were not great vehicles I drive one and love it. But for you to say that Toyota couldn't name anything they wanted a land cruiser isn't true. My point being is people see the 4runner as inferior yet underneath it is a Land Cruiser Prado. I agree they are built really well and are designed to go anywhere and have ******** gas put in them and keep on chugging. My point is that the 4runner is capable of the same as it is built off of an international platform which does don the name Land Cruiser depending on where you are. Toyota could very well throw the name Land Cruiser on the 4runner if they wanted to.

hayde89

Back on topic. OP I would like others have said consider the UZJ100 either Toyota or Lexus, 4th Gen 4runner, or Lexus GX 470 or 460 ( depreciate faster than the 5th gen and come with a V8)

bkg

Explorer
You just lost all creditably sorry try again. There's a reason that brand new TLC go for twice as much as 4Rs

I can’t wait to hear this explanation.

I give you credit- your argument that the 4th and 5th gens are completely different underneath is entertaining.

You look for a year to find the right triple locked rust free candidate for your build. Once you find it you rebuild or service everything replace whats needed etc. Lift sliders tire carriers, re-gear etc. Get to that 40K price tag pretty quick. Probably more. You now have spent a lot of time and effort but what you built is your own and maybe you learned a thing or two about your rig. But your 80 series is going to eat up anything you can throw at it, and do it class. You can do the Rubicon on 33s on a 3x80 and OME lift without to much effort. Try doing that in your minivan off the lot.

Two totally stock (except for sliders) 5th gen 4Rs ran the Rubicon successfully.

Pretty good for minivans, right? :)

Source: http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-0912-2010-toyota-4runner-review-rubicon-trail/

JohnnyOshow22

What research do you want me to do? Go down the 25 year service life hole? I never said they were not great vehicles I drive one and love it. But for you to say that Toyota couldn't name anything they wanted a land cruiser isn't true. My point being is people see the 4runner as inferior yet underneath it is a Land Cruiser Prado. I agree they are built really well and are designed to go anywhere and have **** gas put in them and keep on chugging. My point is that the 4runner is capable of the same as it is built off of an international platform which does don the name Land Cruiser depending on where you are. Toyota could very well throw the name Land Cruiser on the 4runner if they wanted to.
Sure they share similarities with the Prado but the Prado is the "light duty" land cruiser and in different markets they come with completely different drive trains, diesel, turbo diesel, manual and so on. The differences are enough that you can't just slap an LC badge on the 4r here. Take any 4r and place it next to an LC (US Spec not some Prado) of the same year and crawl underneath and you'll start to see why the LC is so much more $$$ than a 4R. Gear driven Transfercase not a chain driven, the exhaust is made out of a thicker steel, the control arms are massive compared to a 4r's, 9.5" rear diff with full floaters not an 8" with semifloat, a metal gas tank skid up until the 200 series, thicker glass, the frame is thicker... I mean the list goes on and on.

Not saying a 4runner can't do what a LC does but the LC will last longer given the same punishment

hayde89

I am not arguing that a 200 is not built sturdier than a 5th gen. The fact is and I have actually crawled under and driven both a land cruiser prado and a 5th gen is that they are the same vehicle. Yes, they have different engine options blah blah blah. The Prado still bears the name Land Cruiser. The fact that everyone thinks that there is something so out of the world special is mind blowing with the 200 like it was blessed by the pope. They are a hell of a vehicle built very well but they are not the end all.

Also side note guess what? In some places in the world the 200 comes with the same 4.0 V6 as a 4runner.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Two totally stock (except for sliders) 5th gen 4Rs ran the Rubicon successfully.

Pretty good for minivans, right? :)

Source: http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-0912-2010-toyota-4runner-review-rubicon-trail/

sure they made it but i don't think your wife would be happy with the results. Those are also professional drives in someone else's cars. Taking the kids and wife in a 40K built 80 series is going to be a much better experience then a 40K stock 4R you drove off the lot at the dealership.

JohnnyOshow22

I am not arguing that a 200 is not built sturdier than a 5th gen. The fact is and I have actually crawled under and driven both a land cruiser prado and a 5th gen is that they are the same vehicle. Yes, they have different engine options blah blah blah. The Prado still bears the name Land Cruiser. The fact that everyone thinks that there is something so out of the world special is mind blowing with the 200 like it was blessed by the pope. They are a hell of a vehicle built very well but they are not the end all.

Also side note guess what? In some places in the world the 200 comes with the same 4.0 V6 as a 4runner.

I'm not just talking about the 200, you clearly missed what I was saying. And the 200 is awesome but I agree it isn't the end all be all. I would take a 200 over a 4runner any day of the week if price wasn't a problem and I think most other people would too.

Off the topic of the 200 any US spec land cruiser vs the same generation model 4runner everything is bigger and heavier duty underneath the LC. I don't know why that fact is hard for you to comprehend. The Prado is the light duty model compared to the rest of the LC line up and thus we got the 4runner/GX here in the US. And way to just skip over all the differences that I listed that make the LC's more expensive/dependable than a 4R. You can cry the "its a land cruiser in different parts of the world" card all you like but facts are facts man. The land cruisers are built heavier and there is a price tag for that. With that price tag though you aren't going to hear about the chain driven tcase blowing up or the tiny rear diff giving out.

And on what TTFJC was saying is spot on. Spend 40K on an 80 series and it would be the last vehicle you get for offroading. It will have a rebuilt motor, all the armor you could want, the best suspension, all the amenities like a fridge and drawers. You'd be way ahead money wise buying a locked 80, dropping it off with Slee offroad for a couple months for a rebuild upgrade and your 40k 4runner off the lot will be a 35k 4runner once you hit the pavement 1 yard from the dealership parking lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears